War Memorials

daz

LE
Chepstow War Memorial
The monument is in the main street of Chepstow, at the top of a set of pedestrian steps. It is in the form of an ornate square pillar atop a square plinth. There are three inset panels with details of casualties, two from WW1 and one from WW2. At the base of the plinth on one face, is a small plaque listed casualties from post-WW2 conflicts

Chepstow war memorial (1) (Custom).jpg

Chepstow war memorial (2) (Custom).jpg

Chepstow war memorial (3) (Custom).jpg

Chepstow war memorial (4) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
An interesting thread.
I was driving on the A619 onto the A628 last week heading West. I saw an oddity on a War Memorial, possibly in Baslow. Traffic stopped my briefly opposite the memorial and I glanced at it, at the top was a Swastika!
I'm not suggesting that it was a Nazi swastika, it was the wrong way around for that anyhow. I just thought it a bit odd, there must be some context to it, Swastikas aren't a British thing, or even *that I'm aware of) a European thing.
I was in a hurry and wasn't able to get a pic of it.
Does anyone know anything about it?

World War I memorial at Harminckettesek tere, 2011 Budapešť 0256.jpg

There are quite a few memorials to WW1 and WW2 in Budapest, and Hungary generally. This is my favourite, to the Maria Theresa Infantry Regiment - it look as if the subject is lobbing a stick grenade down one of the main streets of the city.

daz

LE
An interesting thread.
I was driving on the A619 onto the A628 last week heading West. I saw an oddity on a War Memorial, possibly in Baslow. Traffic stopped my briefly opposite the memorial and I glanced at it, at the top was a Swastika!
I'm not suggesting that it was a Nazi swastika, it was the wrong way around for that anyhow. I just thought it a bit odd, there must be some context to it, Swastikas aren't a British thing, or even *that I'm aware of) a European thing.
I was in a hurry and wasn't able to get a pic of it.
Does anyone know anything about it?
This is the one in Baslow The War Memorial, Baslow, Derbyshire

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
St Michael's Tower & Gloucester Volunteer Training Corps WWI Memorial

Rectangular, stone plaque with curved top. Laurel wreath in relief top centre. Plaque affixed to the external wall of the Tower on the Southgate Street side.

View attachment 412945

View attachment 412946

@Joshua Slocum ...I bet you've passed this by as well :)
I have been inside a few times with the historical society its a hidden gem

View attachment 409113
(The lady in the pic is the widow of FO Frost, the photo is credited to a Phil Spencer)

A memorial to RAF aircrew at the church of St Ursula, Huchenfeld, nr Pforzheim Germany.
It says;
"In memory
of the British fliers who were put to death 17/18th March 1945 on the order of the Nazis
[names of dead]
Father forgive Luke 23.34
A reminder to the living
1992"

Lynching or summary execution of downed allied aircrew happened more often than most people would think-possibly because it has been down-played.

Links;
To the story of the memorial

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2585063.stm

To the background of event
http://www.214squadron.org.uk/Crews_and_losses_Fortress.htm
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I lived near there for 3 years from 1988 to 1991 and was unaware of these murders and the attempts by Dr Heinemann-Gruder to erect a memorial.
I have to say that when I was there, I felt no animosity from the Germans, despite the fact that the Pforzheim raid is reputed to have inflicting more deaths per head of population than any other.

daz

LE
War Memorial, Llandogo, Monmouth
About the memorial:
Granite cross inside a circular border on a rough stone shaft. Inscription on the front face of the shaft with the lettering leaded and painted black. On a three-stepped, rough stone base. Situated on the east side if the A446 just north of the Sloop Inn

War Memorial, Llandogo, Monmouth  (1) (Custom).jpg

War Memorial, Llandogo, Monmouth  (2) (Custom).jpg

War Memorial, Llandogo, Monmouth  (3) (Custom).jpg

War Memorial, Llandogo, Monmouth  (4) (Custom).jpg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting memorial window in the tiny church at Piddletrenthide, Dorset.
20190826_145524_resized.jpg
20190826_145557_resized.jpg

Seeing the soldier at the foot of the cross is highly unusual.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Old-Salt
Not all memorials are grand... this one sits in a former colliery tip, very close to the site where His Majesty’s munitions factory once stood.

It is never forgotten though, a small handful of poppies and a wreath are laid each November and from time to time, flowers are laid at the foot of the stone - presumably from descendants of the local factory workers family and locals who’s precedent family members may have had some connection to the factory.

D251B879-3CE8-494D-8366-2B3041C3075A.png

Lest we forget.

In 2017 the Welsh Asylum unveiled a posh new memorial in the Salient to commemorate all of the welsh casualties of the Great War. Really. This bunker on the field of the Pilckem Ridge battle of 1917 has a plaque put up by the officers of the 38th (Welsh) Division to commemorate their actions on that day. It was ignored completely by 'The Committee'. And I suppose those who died with the 53rd Division at Gallipoli and in Palestine, and with the 22nd Division in Macedonia, are delighted by a shiny new dragon in Belgium.

daz

LE
Yes indeed. A beautiful, peaceful place.
Stayed at the Poachers Inn last year during a trip to Bovvy, hopefully, next time I head down there it will be during daylight

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dingerr The NAAFI Bar 145
tazmanian_clogdancer Military History and Militaria 41
2/51 Military History and Militaria 113

Latest Threads