War Memorials

daz

LE
Thornbury – St Mary's Church, War memorial

The Calvary Cross was erected by public subscription and dedicated by the Bishop of the Diocese on 2nd November 1919 ‘TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY OF THOSE FROM THIS PARISH WHO FOUGHT AND FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918’. The crowded congregation included relatives and friends of the deceased. Many servicemen and ex servicemen marched from The Plain under the command of Major Algar Howard M.C. of Thornbury Castle. A service was conducted outside the church and the Last Post sounded by Messrs G and H Philips.

The cross is made from Guiting stone from the Cotswolds. The west side carries the figure of the crucified Saviour and the east side the figures of the Holy Child and His Mother. The design and scheme were worked by Captain Blacking of Guildford. The scheme included a bronze tablet which was put inside the church porch a year later. This is inscribed with the name, rank and unit of the fallen. A special dedication service was based on the words on the tablet

‘THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE’.
There is also a wooden memorial board inside the main body of the church, to the left of the entrance. This bears the names from the bronze tablet with an additional six names. Amongst the names on the bronze tablet is that of the well known war poet: William Noel Hodgson M.C.

Poignantly the final lines from possibly his last and best known poem, ‘Before Action’ read:
‘I, that on my unfamiliar hill
Saw with uncomprehending eyes
A hundred of thy sunsets spill
Their fresh and sanguine sacrifice,
Ere the sun swings his noonday sword
Must say goodbye to all of this;-
By all delights that I shall miss,
Help me die, O Lord.’

Thornbury – St Mary's Church, War memorial (1) (Custom).jpg

Thornbury – St Mary's Church, War memorial (2) (Custom).jpg

Thornbury – St Mary's Church, War memorial (3) (Custom).jpg

Thornbury – St Mary's Church, War memorial (4) (Custom).jpg

Thornbury – St Mary's Church, War memorial (5) (Custom).jpg

Thornbury – St Mary's Church, War memorial (6) (Custom).jpg

Thornbury – St Mary's Church, War memorial (7) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
St Brides Major - War Memorial

War Memorial St Brides Major (1) (Custom).jpg

War Memorial St Brides Major (2) (Custom).jpg

War Memorial St Brides Major (3) (Custom).jpg

War Memorial St Brides Major (4) (Custom).jpg

War Memorial St Brides Major (5) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
I take it, that's a new one to replace a weather worn one. Seeing how they've very nicely combined both great conflicts.
They have it professionally cleaned & repaired about every 5 years at the moment, its not long been done

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
There is a large monument being built on the north east corner of Polygon wood,near Ypres, it is dedicated to all the sets of Brothers killed on the Western Front during WW1. It will also show the fathers and sons killed. All by name and including Dominion troops. It is easy to find the site. The project manager owns the Cafe and museum just on the north east corner of the wood. He has the most superb collection of battle field artifacts, he is a trained archaeologist and on call-out for local battlefield finds. While I was there last autumn, he had just emptied a German bunker and was going through, and emptying the pockets of decaying German Greatcoats. Worth a visit for sure! I will be back there on the 4th of Oct, a fascinating place where you are allowed to handle and discuss the items of his large display.
you err might want to rephrase the last sentence!

The Great Western Railway war memorial at Paddington Station.
The figure is reading a letter from home.
The statue is, somewhat irreverently, occasionally referred to as 'The Flasher'

Flasher.png

D

Deleted 60082

I posted the image of a photocopy on the wall by the Foreign Office the other day. It’s still there...and here’s a photo with the cenotaph in frame, this afternoon. I’m surprised it has stayed there so long.
4BBD522C-2644-4655-9652-6B40FE54E17B.jpeg

D063EDED-C04C-42F5-97E2-61D275AD148D.jpeg
9B808289-8E55-47AD-A2DD-72ADBA4453F1.jpeg

daz

LE
St Athan War Memorial, just outside what was RAF St Athan

The St Athan war memorial pillar is a pillar with a single finial ball on top. The memorial stands on a three stepped base and is surrounded by railings. The inscriptions have been carved into recesses in the base of the memorial in dedication to the men of St Athan who lost their lives whilst fighting in World War I and World War II.
A conservation project was undertaken in 2006 to replace the railings surrounding the memorial and clean the stonework. War Memorials Trust contributed £1,260 towards the project.

In 2013 War Memorials Trust offered a grant of £550 towards repointing of the memorial and plastic repairs to areas of stone using a lime mortar. The old mortar was raked out using hand tools and the lime mortar was colour matched to the stone.

The memorial was built in 1920 to commemorate the fallen of World War I, with the World War II names being added at a later date.The dates 1914 and 1918 are engraved on the sides of the memorial.

St Athan War Memorial  (1) (Custom).jpg

St Athan War Memorial  (2) (Custom).jpg

St Athan War Memorial  (3) (Custom).jpg

St Athan War Memorial  (4) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Llantwit Major, War Memorial

Sturdy Celtic cross set on a tapering plinth and a two-stepped base, with flower troughs, on a platform surrounded by a stone wall. The plinth has granite tablets with WW1 names. In front of the cross is a stone tablet in the form of a book with WW2 names.

Llantwit Major, War Memorial (1) (Custom).jpg

Llantwit Major, War Memorial (2) (Custom).jpg

Llantwit Major, War Memorial (3) (Custom).jpg

Llantwit Major, War Memorial (4) (Custom).jpg

Llantwit Major, War Memorial (5) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Oldbury on Severn Memorial Hall
Lettering: Inscribed on a plaque
Conflicts: First World War (1914-1918)

About the memorial:
Memorial Hall with cross and wreath at top of the front of the building.

Oldbury on Severn Memorial Hall (1) (Custom).jpg

Oldbury on Severn Memorial Hall (2) (Custom).jpg

Oldbury on Severn Memorial Hall (3) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
War Memorial Crucifix, St Mary's Church, Bute Street, Cardiff.

Type: Freestanding

Description: Calvary

Conflicts:
First World War (1914-1918)
Second World War (1939-1945)

About the memorial:
Stone Calvary Cross, with canopy, set on square two stepped base in front of church.

Church of St Mary the Virgin and St Stephen the Martyr, Butetown, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingd...jpg

Church of St Mary the Virgin and St Stephen the Martyr, Butetown, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingd...jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dingerr The NAAFI Bar 145
tazmanian_clogdancer Military History and Militaria 41
2/51 Military History and Militaria 113

Latest Threads