War Memorials

Some google info here:

Dublin – Deansgrange Cemetery

Guardsman Peter Ennis of the Scots Guards, who was at home on leave in Dublin when the Rising broke out. He was shot, some say accidentally, outside Sir Patrick Dun’s Hospital, by the Volunteers who had occupied Boland’s Mill.

Dublin People - Dead of both sides remembered at 1916 event in Deansgrange
Poor chap was on leave when it all kicked off in 1916, not uncommon by the way.
Thanks for the link interesting plot indeed
To have three civilians killed too would indicate a rather nasty skirmish, hard to say without digging deep into the archives

Last edited:
Thanks for the link interesting plot indeed
To have three civilians killed too would indicate a rather nasty skirmish, hard to say without digging deep into the archives
He was killed by men under De Valera's command (Bolands Mills), a stone's throw from Mount Street Bridge where we visited a couple of years back. Civilians were the highest number of casualties during the Rising.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A very badly damaged and worn memorial in the Village of Salperton Glos
its quite hard to locate, as the village is privately owned and many of the signs directing you to the village have some how become mislaid, there has also been a few problems I gather with the Landowner blocking footpaths and trying to keep people out ?
I took these images last year
quite an array of names for such a small village
and so many different wars
Who dies that England lives.
In proud and glorious memory of 2nd. Lieut. James Collier FOSTER HARTER, Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry, elder son of George Loyd FOSTER and Frances Geraldine HARTER nee COKE of Salperton Park, who died of wounds about November 28 1917, 13 miles from Jerusalem essaying to deliver the Holy Land from the Infidels ( for which an ancestor of his had also fought 1247 - 1260) and is buried at Suffa in Palestine aged 28.
Also of their son-in-law Lieut. Francis Somerled Joseph SILVERTOP, Oxfordshire Yeomanry of Minster Acres, Northumberland, killed in action at Cuillemont Farm May 20 1917 aged 23 and is buried at St. Emelie and Jesus looking on him loved him.
R.I.P.
We bless and thank these Lord for those the good and brave who eager at their country's call strong, undismayed surrendered all. Grant them eternal rest.

Right hand panel.
Also of their three nephews
Lieut. L. SACHEVERELL COKE Res. Irish Guards, killed in action near Ypres, October 31 1914 aged 34.
Lieut. James L. O`BEIRNE, Oxfordshire Yeomanry Att. R.F.C. killed in action July 28 1917 aged 29.
Lieut. John I.M. O`BEIRNE, Royal Warks. Regt. Att. R.F.C. killed in action April 4 1917 aged 23.
Capt. Sir Francis WALLER, Bart. Royal Fusiliers, killed in action October 25 1914 aged 34.
(Commander Arthur SILVERTOP, RN aged 38)
(Lt. Commander the Hon. Hugh FEILDING, RN aged 28)
HMS DEFENCE sunk in the battle of Jutland May 31 1916.
Lieut. Clement J. HARTER, Royal Fusiliers, who fell at Hooge, Flanders, June 16 1915 aged 26.
Capt. John G. HARTER, Durham Light Infantry, who fell near Poperinghe, Flanders April 3 1916 aged 28.
Lieut. H. Hatfield HARTER, Grenadier Guards, who fell near Ypres October 9 1917 aged 38.
Capt. The Hon. Henry FEILDING, Coldstream Guards, died of wounds received October 9 1917 in action on that day aged 20.
Back Panel.
Pte. William JUGGINS, R.G.A., of Salperton Park Gardens, died in France April 28 1918 aged 27.
Pte. Sydney Robert RYMAN, E. Yorkshire Regiment, died a prisoner of war in Germany, October 15 1918 aged 23.
Pte. Reuben SKUSE, Glos. Regiment, killed in France October 26 1918 aged 26.
Killed in action
John SACHEVERELL O'DEANE COKE, K.O.S.B., Major, Airborne Div. September 18 1944.
Also
Edward D'EWES FITZGERALD COKE, Major, Sherwood Foresters, September 29 1944 of Trusley, Derbyshire.
Left hand side.
Capt. William A. SILVERTOP, 20th Hussars, killed in action in France November 27 1917 aged 33.
Capt. The Hon. Robert NOEL, died in active service at Massassi, East Africa, February 2 1918 aged 29.
Capt. George BALFOUR BLACK, 17th Lancers Att. Tank Corps., died of wounds when in action the same day August 28 1918 aged 29.
Corporal FRISBY, of Newark, Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry, killed in action with Lieutenant J.C.F. HARTER in Palestine, November 28 1917.
Lce. Corp. Percy NORRIS, Worcs. Regt., of this village, killed in action near Ypres, October 30 1917 aged 26.
And to us who are left to mourn their departure grant that we may not sorrow as those without hope for our beloved who sleep in thee. But that always remembering their courage and the love that united us on earth, we may begin with new courage to serve thee more fervently, and that when we have passed a few more days in this valley of tears we may see them again face to face in those pastures where we trust they already walk with thee.

IMG_6081.JPG
IMG_6083.JPG
IMG_6085.JPG
IMG_6086.JPG
IMG_6088.JPG
IMG_6089.JPG
IMG_6090.JPG

I know of the Coke family mentioned there Josh. Not personally but via geology.

The Coke Medal is awarded annually to people who have made a contribution to the science.

Two Coke Medals, established by a geologist benefactor, are awarded annually in memory of two brothers who fought at Arnhem in World War II. Major John Sacheverell A’Deane Coke was killed in 1944, aged 33, while escaping after being captured by the enemy in an airborne assault on Arnhem, and his brother Major Edward D’Ewes Fitzgerald Coke, was killed the same year, aged 29, in an ambush while advancing on Arnhem.​

Back up the thread I mentioned the war memorial in Ossett, W Yorkshire.

Memorial
IMG_2710.JPG

The picture is rubbish as it was late evening. Better pictures here: Ossett War Memorial - War Memorials Online

Some odd fun and games behind its construction. It was opened up to public competition for the statue (the plinth was designed/built by the Borough Surveyor and an architect). This was won by F Doyle Jones. But he wasn't given the commission and it went to R Lindsay Clark. He completed it but died before the unveiling in 1928. There was a big bun fight on the day of the unveiling, for all the local nobs and bigwigs. I doubt if many of the bereaved families were invited.

There are a lot of names on those stone flags.

Including these guys I guess.
IMG_2711.JPG
IMG_2712.JPG

Again, poor images but I blame the sun for being in the wrong place. Without clambering all over the memorial these are the best I could do.

Last Novembers wreaths. Unfortunately the elements have removed the details. Both pictures look like WWI. The one on the right looks very much like Wobbly I battledress. They seem to take their remembrance seriously here.

There is another war memorial in south Ossett specifically for the dead from the Yorkshire Regiment (plus 3 people who died with them?). Very sombre affair of dark weathered stone and a wooden cross. The latter must surely be rare in a memorial.
download.jpg

Stock pictures

download (1).jpg

A very badly damaged and worn memorial in the Village of Salperton Glos
its quite hard to locate, as the village is privately owned and many of the signs directing you to the village have some how become mislaid, there has also been a few problems I gather with the Landowner blocking footpaths and trying to keep people out ?
I took these images last year
quite an array of names for such a small village
and so many different wars
Who dies that England lives.
In proud and glorious memory of 2nd. Lieut. James Collier FOSTER HARTER, Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry, elder son of George Loyd FOSTER and Frances Geraldine HARTER nee COKE of Salperton Park, who died of wounds about November 28 1917, 13 miles from Jerusalem essaying to deliver the Holy Land from the Infidels ( for which an ancestor of his had also fought 1247 - 1260) and is buried at Suffa in Palestine aged 28.
Also of their son-in-law Lieut. Francis Somerled Joseph SILVERTOP, Oxfordshire Yeomanry of Minster Acres, Northumberland, killed in action at Cuillemont Farm May 20 1917 aged 23 and is buried at St. Emelie and Jesus looking on him loved him.
R.I.P.
We bless and thank these Lord for those the good and brave who eager at their country's call strong, undismayed surrendered all. Grant them eternal rest.

Right hand panel.
Also of their three nephews
Lieut. L. SACHEVERELL COKE Res. Irish Guards, killed in action near Ypres, October 31 1914 aged 34.
Lieut. James L. O`BEIRNE, Oxfordshire Yeomanry Att. R.F.C. killed in action July 28 1917 aged 29.
Lieut. John I.M. O`BEIRNE, Royal Warks. Regt. Att. R.F.C. killed in action April 4 1917 aged 23.
Capt. Sir Francis WALLER, Bart. Royal Fusiliers, killed in action October 25 1914 aged 34.
(Commander Arthur SILVERTOP, RN aged 38)
(Lt. Commander the Hon. Hugh FEILDING, RN aged 28)
HMS DEFENCE sunk in the battle of Jutland May 31 1916.
Lieut. Clement J. HARTER, Royal Fusiliers, who fell at Hooge, Flanders, June 16 1915 aged 26.
Capt. John G. HARTER, Durham Light Infantry, who fell near Poperinghe, Flanders April 3 1916 aged 28.
Lieut. H. Hatfield HARTER, Grenadier Guards, who fell near Ypres October 9 1917 aged 38.
Capt. The Hon. Henry FEILDING, Coldstream Guards, died of wounds received October 9 1917 in action on that day aged 20.
Back Panel.
Pte. William JUGGINS, R.G.A., of Salperton Park Gardens, died in France April 28 1918 aged 27.
Pte. Sydney Robert RYMAN, E. Yorkshire Regiment, died a prisoner of war in Germany, October 15 1918 aged 23.
Pte. Reuben SKUSE, Glos. Regiment, killed in France October 26 1918 aged 26.
Killed in action
John SACHEVERELL O'DEANE COKE, K.O.S.B., Major, Airborne Div. September 18 1944.
Also
Edward D'EWES FITZGERALD COKE, Major, Sherwood Foresters, September 29 1944 of Trusley, Derbyshire.
Left hand side.
Capt. William A. SILVERTOP, 20th Hussars, killed in action in France November 27 1917 aged 33.
Capt. The Hon. Robert NOEL, died in active service at Massassi, East Africa, February 2 1918 aged 29.
Capt. George BALFOUR BLACK, 17th Lancers Att. Tank Corps., died of wounds when in action the same day August 28 1918 aged 29.
Corporal FRISBY, of Newark, Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry, killed in action with Lieutenant J.C.F. HARTER in Palestine, November 28 1917.
Lce. Corp. Percy NORRIS, Worcs. Regt., of this village, killed in action near Ypres, October 30 1917 aged 26.
And to us who are left to mourn their departure grant that we may not sorrow as those without hope for our beloved who sleep in thee. But that always remembering their courage and the love that united us on earth, we may begin with new courage to serve thee more fervently, and that when we have passed a few more days in this valley of tears we may see them again face to face in those pastures where we trust they already walk with thee.

View attachment 403262 View attachment 403263 View attachment 403264 View attachment 403265 View attachment 403266 View attachment 403267 View attachment 403268

Salperton war memorial (C) Graham Horn

I wonder where the calvary cross has gone to?.

As a side issue for those not familiar with the Geograph site it has a huge range of photographs. My missus has 19,000 images posted and yes that number is correct!!!!

Profile for Chris :: Geograph Britain and Ireland

Last edited:
I've been in contact with the Waterloo Association, there is to be a third book and Lt Schulze is to be included in it.
They also said, they have put things in motion to try and get his headstone restored. I think from an email I received from the Waterloo Ass that the KGL Association may also have been in touch.
That's heartening. Well done everybody, and let's hope we can preserve this memorial. David and Janet Bromley have made a labour of love over this register. The Wellington Remembered books are packed with data with a short biography where possible and come with a CD of pictures.

If anyone comes across a Napoleonic era gravestone or memorial, try taking a pic and checking the books (I've got the first two, you can always contact me) . If it is not in there it's worth asking if it's in the database. You never know, you might have discovered a lost one.

Chorley, in Lancashire, had two pubs that were (as far as I can establish) named as living war memorials for the local lads who had fought in the Crimean War, the Alma, and the Sebastopol. Both are still standing, but the Sebastopol has been refurbished as a modern steakhouse on the edge of town, and the Alma is now a collection of small flats, with the old pub garden as a carpark for the residents.

A pity that the local council haven't seen fit to put some kind of marker on the buildings as to their original intent, as they've been busy shouting about the town's WW1 connections with the 'Chorley Pals', etc..
The Alma 2.jpg
The Alma.jpg
Sebastopol Whatpub2.jpg

That's heartening. Well done everybody, and let's hope we can preserve this memorial. David and Janet Bromley have made a labour of love over this register. The Wellington Remembered books are packed with data with a short biography where possible and come with a CD of pictures.

If anyone comes across a Napoleonic era gravestone or memorial, try taking a pic and checking the books (I've got the first two, you can always contact me) . If it is not in there it's worth asking if it's in the database. You never know, you might have discovered a lost one.
I'm speaking to a RBL member later today, he seems to know of a RHA Waterloo Grave, in a Village somewhere close to Lowestoft.
So me and SWMBO will be doing good cop, bad cop, with him to make him remember which village. :threaten::rmp::threaten::rmp:

In my little town in Berkshire we have three flagstones for our Victoria Cross recipients laid out in the tiny little town centre. One awarded during the Boer War, but the other two were awarded to brothers who were killed in action 27 years apart, one in the First World War (Battle of Loos, Fosse 8 ) the other in the Second (Second Battle of El Alamein).
Thatcham's Victoria Cross recipients
3x VCs Thatcham.jpg

In my little town in Berkshire we have three flagstones for our Victoria Cross recipients laid out in the tiny little town centre. One awarded during the Boer War, but the other two were awarded to brothers who were killed in action 27 years apart, one in the First World War (Battle of Loos, Fosse 8 ) the other in the Second (Second Battle of El Alamein).
Thatcham's Victoria Cross recipients
View attachment 403530
Sad that that brave man took his own life.

Speen War Memorial 13.07.2019

IMG_20190713_172217_edited.jpg

IMG_20190713_172231_edited.jpg

IMG_20190713_172243_edited.jpg

Buckland War Memorial 12.07.2019

IMG_20190712_190121_edited.jpg

IMG_20190712_190129_edited.jpg

IMG_20190712_190139_edited.jpg

IMG_20190712_190152_edited.jpg

IMG_20190712_190212_edited.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dingerr The NAAFI Bar 145