War Memorials

Thats the HLI monument from their old Regimental Depot in Maryhill. Is your drill hall the old 2/52 LV at Hotspur Street?
Rather think Maryhill is now a sprawling housing estate, it had long gone when I was posted to 1 RHF in 78.
Guardroom is still standing and is a community hall/ admin office of some kind and the wall is still standing round the estate.. The housing scheme is still called the barracks by locals.

Moreton-in-Marsh, Interesting too note, there's one poor bugger listed from 1953
Moreton-in- Marsh 1.jpg

Moreton-in-Marsh.jpg

20180609_132208.jpg

A chapel volunteering memorial in Pontypridd, now the local museum. Guessing the Rev also volunteered as a non conformist will look that up when I return as they may have something in relation to my volunteer quest.
Note the dating of the stone, never seen that before. Did they all volunteer in 1914.

Note the dating of the stone, never seen that before. Did they all volunteer in 1914.
Looks to me as though it was naming the volunteers from the chapel very early on. Long before they knew how long the war was to continue,

Bear in mind there may well have been some in the TF, then K1-K4 were all recruited before the end of 1914. For those not aware, each 'K' of the Kitchener's Army represented 100,000 men - nationwide of course. If the chapel decided to honour all those of its congregation signed on by end of K4, (which was 5 Bns of the Welsh Regt alone - with two Bantam Bns to follow), they would have had no idea when it would all end.

Looks to me as though it was naming the volunteers from the chapel very early on. Long before they knew how long the war was to continue,

Bear in mind there may well have been some in the TF, then K1-K4 were all recruited before the end of 1914. For those not aware, each 'K' of the Kitchener's Army represented 100,000 men - nationwide of course. If the chapel decided to honour all those of its congregation signed on by end of K4, (which was 5 Bns of the Welsh Regt alone - with two Bantam Bns to follow), they would have had no idea when it would all end.
Strangely reading A Nation In Arms, A social Study of The British Army in The First World War*. There is a longish session on Welsh recruitment. There was lot of problems around non conformist recruitment and issues in the North. My great grandfather born and bred Barry boy, sent north to serve with 10th RWF(the shame!) with a lot of other K men.

If this stone is dated as 1914 vintage it would place it as one of the earliest memorials? The first known WW1 war memorial to the dead is 1916(and remembrance parade) with street shines also dating from 1916.
Shrines built while the First World War went on
An angle no one has thought of before in regards to this memorial stone?

* I love snappy titles.

Strangely reading A Nation In Arms, A social Study of The British Army in The First World War*. There is a longish session on Welsh recruitment. There was lot of problems around non conformist recruitment and issues in the North. My great grandfather born and bred Barry boy, sent north to serve with 10th RWF(the shame!) with a lot of other K men.

If this stone is dated as 1914 vintage it would place it as one of the earliest memorials? The first known WW1 war memorial to the dead is 1916(and remembrance parade) with street shines also dating from 1916.
Shrines built while the First World War went on
An angle no one has thought of before in regards to this memorial stone?

* I love snappy titles.
It certainly struck me that it was dedicated to voluntary service rather than the standard 'to the fallen' memorial. Thanks for the shrines linky though, as that confirms they were round and about in some numbers, honouring the service rather than the dead and I can understand the establishment reluctance to have the latter variety before it was all over.

Moreton-in-Marsh, Interesting too note, there's one poor bugger listed from 1953
He died in the Korean war.

@Welch Man, Being localish, you might know this one, its located in the grounds of St Mary's Abbey Church, Margam Park

23-07-05_1355.jpg
23-07-05_1356.jpg

@daz localish? Are you an officer with a map squire. ;)
Need to pop to Margam park a few things to look at, so will add the church to my list.
Off to Belgium soon so a mad dash to educate my miss on the western front.

@daz localish? Are you an officer with a map squire. ;)
Need to pop to Margam park a few things to look at, so will add the church to my list.
Off to Belgium soon so a mad dash to educate my miss on the western front.
Well, you're in Wales, so that's localish :)

St Cuthbert's Church, Wells

On the last photo, there's a rank? of LDG/WTR anyone got a clue what that is?

IMG_20180623_115554.jpg
IMG_20180623_115607.jpg
IMG_20180623_115621.jpg
IMG_20180623_115640.jpg
IMG_20180623_115648.jpg
IMG_20180623_115659.jpg
IMG_20180623_115733.jpg

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Writers manned the Pay Office and supported the Captain's and/or Admiral's Secretary

I'd like them to try to stop you.
BUT jobsworths are jobsworths.
I'd like them to try to stop you.
BUT jobsworths are jobsworths.
I clean two of our 5 in the port but NEVER use any kind of cleaner or wire brush. Only white vinegar and water with the old scrubbing brush. I have the phone number of a gent on the council is report any damage too. It's always repaired. The only problem I have is getting 1ww graves cleaned. At the two cemetery's in the port

A rather sad one here. Still inaccessible after the earthquake in 2011, and no apparent plans to make it so by November of this year, although a couple of people in high vis and hard hats were allowed to lay wreaths last year. Very sad that the Bridge of Remembrance is now the memorial in Christchurch. It is lovely, but this was made at the time by the people of Christchurch and is now held together with cords, and hidden behind safety fencing.

Attachments

A rather sad one here. Still inaccessible after the earthquake in 2011, and no apparent plans to make it so by November of this year, although a couple of people in high vis and hard hats were allowed to lay wreaths last year. Very sad that the Bridge of Remembrance is now the memorial in Christchurch. It is lovely, but this was made at the time by the people of Christchurch and is now held together with cords, and hidden behind safety fencing.
I remember them well from my time at RNZAF Wigram in the mid 1980s. So sad with added poignancy.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the memorial in Matlock Bath is really interesting. As well as listing all the names of the fallen, there's a separate shelter behind the memorial with photos and a potted history of the local men who fell in WW1.