War Memorials

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by greyfergie, Jul 15, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The 'ultimate' Old & Bolds I suppose.... And I tried really hard with the search function but could find nothing similar....

But I came across this nice simple memorial yesterday..... totally classical - WW1, WW2, Korea etc.

[​IMG]

But I was 'most moved', if that's the right expression, by a modern kids (and it was schoolchildren) effort at the same thing....

[​IMG]
    Is graffiti wall art appropriate? I thought so....
    Any other examples from up and down this green and pleasant land?

(If I've duplicated or put it in the wrong place please move etc...)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 14
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 10
  2. Images don't load. Maybe it's my device...

3. Work for me.

4. Bugger!

5. OK, must be my device then.

6. Andreas_Wank

Andreas_Wank On ROPs

They`re a little on the large side. These might be better.

mem.jpg

Screenshot from 2017-07-15 15:41:30.png

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Can I resize?

8. The town war memorial at Royston, Herts, is a bit different from most;
    [​IMG]
    Erected in1922 (according to the council's website),
    "The central portion of Portland stone contains a group of figures, the centre one being Thomas Cartwright. The other figures represent a bowman at Agincourt, a medieval knight in armour, a soldier of Queen Elizabeth 1, one of Cromwell’s Ironsides, a soldier of George II and one from Wellington’s army at Waterloo. In front is a two-foot high bronze statuette of a private of the First World War with a crow at his feet."

• Like Like x 25
    • Informative Informative x 3
  9. Interesting that the OP memorial goes down to battalions, you don't often see that.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Small village community I'm guessing?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Very rare, even CWGC gravestones will not give battalion. With memorials in Wales it can be a problem, with a list of Jones and Williams and no unit given.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. This one was at Lydney so I'm guessing that's why the high proportion of Glosters?

13. I've seen some in Wales where they list, after the name, where they lived - house, farm, etc, e.g. E.W. Jones, Hafod Wen, RWF.
    ETA, especially useful if , as you say, no unit given.

• Like Like x 3
  14. 10th Battalion jumps out at me. Being a service battalion, better known as PALS battalions I guess the recruitment was around that area. Cross battalion moves common after 1916 with the introduction of conscription.

• Informative Informative x 1