War Memorials

The 'ultimate' Old & Bolds I suppose.... And I tried really hard with the search function but could find nothing similar....

But I came across this nice simple memorial yesterday..... totally classical - WW1, WW2, Korea etc.

But I was 'most moved', if that's the right expression, by a modern kids (and it was schoolchildren) effort at the same thing....

Is graffiti wall art appropriate? I thought so....
Any other examples from up and down this green and pleasant land?

(If I've duplicated or put it in the wrong place please move etc...)

Last edited:
The town war memorial at Royston, Herts, is a bit different from most;

Erected in1922 (according to the council's website),
"The central portion of Portland stone contains a group of figures, the centre one being Thomas Cartwright. The other figures represent a bowman at Agincourt, a medieval knight in armour, a soldier of Queen Elizabeth 1, one of Cromwell’s Ironsides, a soldier of George II and one from Wellington’s army at Waterloo. In front is a two-foot high bronze statuette of a private of the First World War with a crow at his feet."

Very rare, even CWGC gravestones will not give battalion. With memorials in Wales it can be a problem, with a list of Jones and Williams and no unit given.
I've seen some in Wales where they list, after the name, where they lived - house, farm, etc, e.g. E.W. Jones, Hafod Wen, RWF.
ETA, especially useful if , as you say, no unit given.

10th Battalion jumps out at me. Being a service battalion, better known as PALS battalions I guess the recruitment was around that area. Cross battalion moves common after 1916 with the introduction of conscription.

This was impressive,just outside Montgomery,and alongside it....
2017-06-20 003(1).jpg
2017-06-20 005 (1).jpg

Understated memorial in Blythburgh church Suffolk
Image0287.jpg

Arthur Hatcher was SWMBO's grandad.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer