War Memorial Inclusion or not?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by wedge_cadman, Mar 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've just been asked whether or not a person should be included/excluded on a WW1 memorial in the town. (they are hoping for my support as this years incumbent as chair of RBL)
    The lady in question was a nurse on the western front and she is listed as killed in a german offensive.
    The town has a memorial and she was from a local village nearby. Soldiers from surrounding villages are included on the engravings.

There are mutterings around town that she should be included/added to the memorial.
    Is their a precedent already set or does anyone know where I can find any information relevant to the question? I should add that county level RBL haven't been much use.
    Apologies if I'm in the wrong forum

2. I always assumed that local War Memorials were originally locally led and that it would be up to the local Parish/Local Council if any more names were added to it

Here is an acticle in the Daily Whale about someone getting added to a memorial, key bit is at the end which I have pasted below
    Soldier awarded posthumous pardon to have name added to WW1 memorial | Mail Online

Adding names to civic war memorials is at the discretion of local councils.

In the case of church memorials, however, the process is more complex and could take some months, as each case must be approved by the parish, a diocesan committee and an ecclesiastical judge.

See this there is some usefull information and contacts details

http://www.justice.gov.uk/guidance/docs/war-memorial-guidance.pdf

3. Wedge,

my understanding is that there is no set criteria for inclusion on local war memorials, each one was done differently according to the whim of those responsible for the fundraising and construction.

My first question would be - is she commemorated by CWGC? If she is, I think it would be difficult for anyone to argue that she should NOT be on the local memorial. If she isn't, that's not an argument against her inclusion on the memorial, it's just something you can't use to support the case.

I would also have a trawl through the local newspaper and/or council archives (if they exists) for the period (say) 1919-21 looking for announcements of the formation of the war memorial committee and what, if any, criteria were announced and how the town went about things. If, e.g. the land was donated in perpetuity for the commemoration of all dead of the parish, this might be a useful string to your bow.

Lat thought - was she awarded campaign medals ?? Again, if she was, pretty difficult to argue she should NOT be on the local memorial. If you want to PM me a name I can check.

Hope this helps

C_C

4. Based on the information supplied I see no reason that she should not be included on the memorial.

Have you found any indication that there a reason for her non-inclusion in the first place?

Is she commemorated anywhere else locally?

5. Wedge, I can't answer your question, but in my opinion, from the brief description of circumstances, the the lady should be added. I've had a quick look on the CWGC website, but there are no guidlines on there, however, I did find this about a lad who was killed in Afghan having his name added to the local memorial.

BBC News - Soldier's family wins war memorial battle

Best of luck with the quest.

6. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I believe there is a plaque in the village hall as there is for the soldiers who are included in the town memorial.
    Reading between the lines I'm wondering if she was excluded because she was classed as non combative or the story didn't come to light until after the memorial was complete.

7. I think the real question is:

Is there any evidence to suggest that she was originally deliberately excluded for some reason, or, conversely, that it was a simple oversight.

If simple oversight, it would be correct to remedy it. If deliberate exclusion, we should not attempt to second-guess those who made the decision at the time.

8. Check your PM's matey

9. Not so much the memorial, but the place of burial, in Hove (OK, Brighton and Hove), a young officer killed in Iraq was denied the right of burial in the CWGC plot in Hove cemetary and was initially buried nearby. The family made strong representations and he was finally reburied amongst the 2nd World War dead in the CWGC plot (although it took a year to sort out). I noticed recently, that a young lad killed in Afghanistan has also been buried there (the one whose name Cyclops mis-spelled).

10. Interesting link, although the research by Harlow Council isn't quite accurate;

Pte Carver, 1 Para, didn't die in the mutiny but was killed in a terrorist action in Sheikh Othman about three weeks before the mutiny happened.