War memorial erected in Scottish new town

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7056813.stm

With so many negative stories dominating the media about how the public doesn't care about the Armed Forces, this is a welcome example that demonstrates what can go on unheralded at local level. The council also lowered the flag earlier this year following the deaths in June of two soldiers from Fife (both Royal Regiment of Scotland, and a third from the Royal Regiment of Wales was killed). The majority of the public are as respectful and grateful as they ever were.

New town finally has war memorial

A Scottish new town is to unveil its own war memorial almost 60 years after the community's first bricks were laid.

Construction work on the Glenrothes memorial began after the deaths of two Black Watch soldiers in Iraq.

Pte Marc Ferns died in a bomb attack in Basra, in August 2004. A suicide bomber killed Pte Scott McArdle at a Falluja checkpoint two months later.

The town will now be able to host its own Remembrance Sunday commemorations for the first time next month.

Until now, Royal British Legion members have had to travel either to Leslie or Markinch to pay their respects.

Sandy Logie, of the Glenrothes branch of the Royal British Legion, said: "I think now that we've actually got a war memorial, it'll mean a lot to the older members of the Legion and the older people of the town.

"Being a new town, we've not had one before so I think it'll go down quite well."

Unlike traditional memorials, this one consists of two interlinking rings of standing stones.

One stone bears the names of Marc Ferns and Scott McArdle.

Scott's uncle, Martin McArdle, told the BBC Scotland news website: "It was a shock. You're used to seeing it on the news and things like that but you never think it could be your own or in your own back yard."

He said the community had totally supported both families.

"It did affect Glenrothes as a whole because there's such a big Black Watch presence in Glenrothes."

A dedication ceremony will take place on 7 November which both families are expected to attend.

Fife Council, which organised the construction of the memorial, is anticipating a large gathering for the first Remembrance Sunday commemorations.

Black Watch chaplain Rev Alec Forsyth said: "Some of these guys have horrendous memories that they've buried and they resurface at remembrance time and it's important they have somewhere to go."

The remembrance garden project has cost about £120,000, much of which has come from fundraising and public subscription.

"The remembrance garden project has cost about £120,000, much of which has come from fundraising and public subscription. "

I take back what I said about the Jockenese being tight fisted

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
greyfergie Old & Bold 576
mso The NAAFI Bar 31
barneyrnsm Military History and Militaria 2