War is fashionable??

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by scarletto, Jun 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan become the new fashion, We have the celebritys saying 'how they love the forces,wear the wristband' etc etc (everett withstanding)

The media with its Support our Boys, funny a year or more ago, most papers couldnt give a monkeys, and if they did it was usally lies.

What do you think actually changed perceptions, i personally think it was 'op nimby' but thats my take on the matter.

Just wondering what actually changed everyones perceptions (us on here and other forces folks withstanding)

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The only thing that has changed my perception of the current armed forces action is reading and hearing about the unbelievable bravery and outstanding efforts of the bods at the sharp end. That, and the loooooong list of gobment failings when it comes to funding and providing for our forces.

On the one hand, immeasurably proud, on the other, absolutely disgusted.

I think that this may also be similar to what Joe public is coming across with too. There's many a community who are aware of their own being in hot places, and many, many families feeling the hardship of their loved ones being away a lot. Further to this, a large contingent of T.A. guys doing tours can only increase community awareness of the work abroad.

The media, despite the early ignorance, has come on board fully now, and not only presented in detail (in the papers, on the radio and on telly) the stirling work being done by our chaps and ladies, but also the glaring gobment failures and cynical spinning.

I would not be in the least bit surprised if the gobment behaviour regarding our forces is having an ever-greater negative impact on their re-election prospects. I surely hope so.

3. Priore to the twentyth century, no-body gave a big rats rear end for the forces, with the two world wars and mass conscription the "country" came to care about its armed forces, now we are back into the situation of a small proffesional force fighting well away from home, this care is/has fallen away. Modern news media is slowly allowing joe public to see what its forces are doing and hopefiully the 'caring' will return. Similar to what happened in the US over the Spanish American war.

4. Kipling said it best (my bold):

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
    Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
    An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
    Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
    But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

The drums have been rolling for a while. The pendulum will swing back once they stop.

5. I think it's largely due to the decrease of British activity in Iraq over recent months. Telic was (and is) unpopular with the great unwashed and widely perceived as unlawful by everyone except Tony & Co.
    Now that fewer Brits are being shot at in Iraq the focus is switching to Afghanistan, which is much more highly regarded by the general public as being a war we should be involved in (there being a pretty-much-definite* and demonstrable link between AQ and Terry Taliban, unlike AQ & Saddam).

*"pretty-much-" included 'cos although I have never seen any direct evidence to prove it, many, many others who I trust have. But some conspiracy loons will disbelieve anything.

Agree with RCD though, it'll swing back once the dust settles (pun intended).

6. I think also, at grassroots level, all the homecoming parades have raised the profile of the Armed Forces and by proxy, Iraq/Afghan

7. agree with above posts but would also like to add that i.m.o. prince harry's service in afghan and his interviews on return helped change a lot of opinions regarding our forces.

8. Probably Ross Kemp too....Don't shoot me for saying that name.