War Horse

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Ravers, Mar 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I went and saw this last night at the National Theatre and I have to say it was top.

I haven't been to the theatre for years and wasn't expecting much to be honest, but I was not only pleasantly surprised but pretty blown away by the whole thing.

The acting was brilliant and the movement of the puppets was unbelievable, I was even impressed with the accuracy of the military uniforms and equipment which I was expecting to be embarrassing, as is often the case with theatre productions.

There was even a life size Mk1 tank that came onto the stage at one point which I really wasn't expecting.

All in all a top show which I can highly recommend.

2. Seen it , F**kin brilliant, had me in tears
  3. Awesome, especially the horses. Some SERIOUS study of equine biomechanics behind it. Wouldn't want to be one of the puppeteers though - there must be more comfortable ways to earn a living.........
  4. I concur all of the above posts. It's been 'running' ( no pun intended) for quite a while in a leading west end theatre. That speaks volumes for the quality of the production.
  5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Agreed. At times I found myself so immersed in it that I forgot they were puppets.

The ear movements of the puppets were especially true to life and the goose was great!

I have heard a rumour that Spielberg is thinking of making a film of it.
    Presumably it will become a US only film, with no mention of Britain whatsoever.
  6. Anybody care to take the odds that the movie will shift from the Great War to the American Civil War, if Spielberg puts this to film?
  7. The play is wonderful. It is very moving, and a quite brilliant piece of theatre. But I urge you to read the book too, because that is excellent. (it is a childrens book - but that in no way lessens its excellence.)
  8. Wholeheartedly agree! Superb read, even as Poly says, it was aimed at the children`s market. I have a copy and if anyone wants it, please feel free to PM me an address (plus a small donation to H4H of course).
  9. wow id love to see this pity im in the frozen(ish) norths.
  10. Book and play are both fantastic, there was a TV documentary about the play and the author Michael Morpurgo not too long ago which was very interesting. If I remember correctly the story was based on and old boy he got talking to in his local pub in the west country.
  11. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Saw it a year or so ago. Mate of mine was in it. Very, very good. Based on a childrens book, too.
  12. I also read Michael Morpurgo's "Adolphus Tips" which is the story of Exercise Tiger. (Although the story is dressed up to be approachable for children to read by adding a girl and her cat)

13. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Is that the Michael Mulpurgo book? I happen to have bought that for holiday reading at the end of the month! Great to have it recommended.
  14. anything written by him is great. As I didn't grow up here and never heard of him before, it has been a real pleasure discovering his stuff as I read it to the kids.
  15. Very likely to tour nationally in the not too distant future, & when it's announced all the major regional theatres'll be falling over each other to host it.

I'll be very surprised if this doesn't have runs in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, York, Leeds etc etc...

Plus places like Cardiff, Oxford, Southampton "down South".

Massive potential audiences in "The Provinces" just waiting for this incredible play to come their way, and the producers must know this.