WAR /HISTORICAL WALKERS or GROUPS

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by AT55, Mar 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know of any groups who meet and walk or tour historical sites in the UK or near continent? My ex-employer has recently decided that they can do without my services so I have joined the ranks of the un-waged. I have always enjoyed a walk followed by a swift pint or three as well as military history. I have done a few of the Leger tours as well as a trip to Gibraltar but now would like to meet like-minded guys or girls to explore some of the lesser known sites of military interest.

If this is not your thing but you know of groups or individuals that may be of interest, please let me have the details.

2. Don't know of any groups but "The Military Heritage of Britain and Ireland" gives you all their info and is a good starting read, It gives a survey of all the main military sites, with grid refs.ect

3. Can I recommend our Society? Our site is one of the greatest military sites in the UK and is currently being secured from the MOD and regenerated, plus our clubhose is an excellant pub!

Shorncliffe

Best wishes

Chris Shaw
    Chairman

4. Thanks for that the book has been ordered from that South American place.

5. I use it as a guide, but use google when walking battle fields and other sites, at pres. read Edward 1 by Marc Morris and will prob visit most of the sites this summer