WAR FILMS AGAIN

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by old_bloke, Oct 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen “The Bridge on the River Kwai” again and it is still as good, however at the end I noticed that when Jack Hawkins was firing the 2” mortar there was a (to me only having seen fire-power demos with mortars) damn good kick on the thing.
    Very realistic –shame about a few other things.

Just wondering which movie has the most realistic weapon scene.

1. The Bridge on the River Kwai – for this scene

2. The Last Drop (Pants film but showed two or more of the surviving Airborne troops carrying that old favorite – the magazine box for the Bren/LMG , always wondered which twat thought “ I know ! I’ll put all the spare mags in this fcucking heavy green very pointy box, it’ll be easy to carry for the number 2)

2. I know its not a war film but the fire fight in the street in HEAT becuase of the actual mag changes and using fire and manouver and short bursts etc

3. I thought "Saving Private Ryan" had the whole "contact/confusion/reaction" thing down pretty well.

As did "Band of Brothers"

4. Windtalkers with Nicholas Cage had some good points. However, firing a Thompson one handed for sustained periods...

5. Rambo 3.......when he played chicken in a tank with a helecopter gunship.

6. If you'd said "TV series" then we all know that "The A-Team" would wins hands down

7. Got to be Heat or Pfoof of Life, failing that Buck Rodgers in the 21st Century!

8. Heat, good choice balldrick, my best war film choice for realism has got to be Saving Private Ryan. One of the worst is Starship Troopers.

9. But Denise Richards...Mhmmmm

10. I read somewhere that Heat had someone from the USMC giving advice on the ambush scene.

11. Supposedly, Andy McNab, known more commonly as Cyril Clunge, or Tw@face, gave advice and a three week weapons boot camp.

12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Was it not Andy Mcnab?

Private Ryan
    Band of Brothers
    Heat
    Forrest Gump when they get bumped in Vietnam which in my opinion was the first to have a decent battle scene before Private Ryan.

13. Like the end credits. What a pump film

14. I always thought the scene in 'Dr. Strangelove' where the US Airborne were taking Burpelstone AFB was pretty accurate. Lots of tense looking people trying to look in all directions at once, short bursts and shorter bounds.

15. Without doubt the worst marksmen. Ever.

Thousands of rounds sprayed all over the shop and noone hit. Very realistic. They are yanks afterall...