• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

WAR FILMS AGAIN

Just seen “The Bridge on the River Kwai” again and it is still as good, however at the end I noticed that when Jack Hawkins was firing the 2” mortar there was a (to me only having seen fire-power demos with mortars) damn good kick on the thing.
Very realistic –shame about a few other things.

Just wondering which movie has the most realistic weapon scene.

1. The Bridge on the River Kwai – for this scene

2. The Last Drop (Pants film but showed two or more of the surviving Airborne troops carrying that old favorite – the magazine box for the Bren/LMG , always wondered which twat thought “ I know ! I’ll put all the spare mags in this fcucking heavy green very pointy box, it’ll be easy to carry for the number 2)

I know its not a war film but the fire fight in the street in HEAT becuase of the actual mag changes and using fire and manouver and short bursts etc

I thought "Saving Private Ryan" had the whole "contact/confusion/reaction" thing down pretty well.

As did "Band of Brothers"

Windtalkers with Nicholas Cage had some good points. However, firing a Thompson one handed for sustained periods...

If you'd said "TV series" then we all know that "The A-Team" would wins hands down

Heat, good choice balldrick, my best war film choice for realism has got to be Saving Private Ryan. One of the worst is Starship Troopers.

saintstone said:
Heat, good choice balldrick, my best war film choice for realism has got to be Saving Private Ryan. One of the worst is Starship Troopers.
But Denise Richards...Mhmmmm

Supposedly, Andy McNab, known more commonly as Cyril Clunge, or Tw@face, gave advice and a three week weapons boot camp.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Stuart666 said:
I read somewhere that Heat had someone from the USMC giving advice on the ambush scene.
Was it not Andy Mcnab?

Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
Heat
Forrest Gump when they get bumped in Vietnam which in my opinion was the first to have a decent battle scene before Private Ryan.

I always thought the scene in 'Dr. Strangelove' where the US Airborne were taking Burpelstone AFB was pretty accurate. Lots of tense looking people trying to look in all directions at once, short bursts and shorter bounds.

The fibua scenes in Stalingrad were pretty good, especially the bit where the company mong had a ND during a silent phase of the approach and the major sent him forward to 'redeem' himself by a long sprint and a short throw with a stick grenade.

Cracking movie alltogether, I might watch it again tomorrow night.

smartascarrots said:
I always thought the scene in 'Dr. Strangelove' where the US Airborne were taking Burpelstone AFB was pretty accurate. Lots of tense looking people trying to look in all directions at once, short bursts and shorter bounds.
I agree. I always thought it looked like newsreel footage, possibly from Korea, but more likely from an exercise.

I enjoyed Blackhawk Down, was fairly close to the book,bar poetic and time allowances

My slight niggle with Bridge On The River Kwai was that when William Holden escapes and his fellow escapee is shot by the jap guards, they are using SMLE's. Could have been captured at Singapore of course.

Proof Of Life - with Russel Crowe. The rescue sequence with the chopper - Good drills

True Romance - The shootout between cops, mafia & bodyguards

Definately Heat, as has been mentioned.

Steve Mcqueen always had a realistic on screen affinity with small arms - whether a BAR & Springfield rifle in the Sandpebbles or a pump action in The Getaway