War Drums Pounding In Tel Aviv?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Dec 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is nothing new. I believe that what's noteworthy is the sheer volume of such pronouncements lately coming from Israel.

Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has instructed the IDF to prepare for the possibility of a strike on Iran's nuclear facilities by the end of March 2006, the Sunday Times reported.

According to the British newspaper said that the order was relayed to the army after intelligence officials warned the government that Iran has already activated uranium enrichment facilities hidden at civilian locations.

...defense officials told the British newspaper [the Times] that should the army's plan of attack be approved, Israel would make use of both air and ground forces in order to strike at several nuclear targets in a bid to hamper Iran's nuke program by several years.

The Sunday Times estimated that elite IDF forces and F-15 fighter jets, which can reach Iran and return to Israel without refueling, will take part in a future strike.

The emergence of an Iranian reconaissance satellite system, it is said, is adding urgency to the claimed need for an attack:

“If and when we launch an attack on several Iranian targets, the last thing we need is Iranian early warning received by satellite," the [Times] quoted the source as saying.

"Report: Israel prepares to strike Iran" 11 December 2005

It strikes me as peculiar that the article is so definite about the time deadline within which the attack must happen. I'd expect that to be a closely-guarded secret. I wonder whether this is an attempt to (i) get the Israeli public used to the idea that it's inevitable, or (ii) to stampede the Iranians into making the first move so that Israel can assume the posture of a victim of Iranian aggression, or (iii) both.
  2. Anyone read revelations.... 8O
  3. Yeah it is really starting to get a bit hairy isn't it? I mean, who's bright idea was it to create Israel after reading the bible FFS! Should have named it something else..semeticsville or something less offensive!
  4. Bloody Israel, get given some land by the palistinians, then try to take some more by force. Bleet on about how 'they are so innocent in the east of any faults' and now want to start on Iran, no doubt to ensure that they are no1 in the middle-east.

Reckon we ought to teach them a lesson and give all the land back to palastine, it is their's after all. Sod the bible, it's only a book FFS!!!
  5. It's nothing to do with the Iranians wanting to wipe Israel off the map then?
  6. 8O This brief history lesson has been sponsored by the BNP! For all your irrational rants and illogical arguments, choose the BNP!
  7. The Times reports Israel would likely call on its top special forces brigade, Unit 262 and the F-15I strategic 69 Squadron, which can strike Iran and return to Israel without refueling.

Russia last week signed an estimated $1 billion contract to sell Iran advanced Tor-M1 systems capable of destroying guided missiles and laser-guided bombs from aircraft.

"Once the Iranians get the Tor-M1, it will make our life much more difficult," an Israeli air force source told the Times. "The installation of this system can be relatively quick and we can’t waste time on this one."

" Israel plans strike on nuclear Iran" 11 December 2005

The "TOR-M1" air defense system thread: http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=27129.html
  8. Israel has a general election in March 2006.

Factor that in.

For what it's worth, I don't think that even Sharon would launch a strike on Iran in the midst of an election campaign.

9. The author of that Ynet article quoted in first post did:

...a strike on Iran at the end of March would coincide with the general elections scheduled for March 28. Israel has already attacked a foreign nuclear reactor shortly before elections time, when the Air Force struck in Iraq in 1981.

I could guess that an underlying political calculation might be that the voters would feel disinclined to try to change horses in the middle of the stream.
  10. The Times article quoted by Ynetnews:

"Israel readies forces for strike on nuclear Iran" by
    Uzi Mahnaimi, Tel Aviv, and Sarah Baxter, Washington 11 December 2005

[International Atomic Energy Director Mohamed] El-Baradei, who received the Nobel peace prize yesterday, warned that the world was “losing patience” with Iran.

A senior White House source said the threat of a nuclear Iran was moving to the top of the international agenda and the issue now was: “What next?” That question would have to be answered in the next few months, he said.
  11. Original message edited because I was angry when I wrote it. Having had the honour to meet soldiers involved in the British mandate - it angers me at times when their sacrifice is forgotten just because it suits current relations. I wish Israel no harm and actively believe in the two state solution. I do however believe that both the Arabs and the Israelis must take full responsibility for their past and present actions if there is ever to be peace between the two.
  12. From the Jerusalem Post.

Maj.-Gen. (Res.) Amos Gilad, head of the Defense Ministry's foreign policy department, said in an interview to Israel Radio that while a military operation against Iran's nuclear facilities could not be ruled out, Israel was a partner in international diplomatic efforts to address the threat from Teheran.

Gilad denied the Times allegations that Israel planned to attack Iran in March 2006.

"Israel denies plans to attack Iran" 11 December 2005
  13. 1. Linked article makes it sound as if Likud P.M. candidate Binyamin Netanyu is running on a platform of attacking Iran:

If he succeeds in becoming Israel's next prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu indicated Monday he will not hesitate to order a military strike against Iran's nuclear program in order to safeguard his nation from annihilation.

“I will continue the tradition established by Menachem Begin, who did not allow Iraq to develop such a nuclear threat against Israel, and by a daring and courageous act gave us two decades of tranquility,” Netanyahu told Israel's Maariv daily.

“I believe that this is what Israel has to do” in the face of the growing Iranian threat, he continued.

2. Ariel Sharon says: give diplomacy a chance.

3. IDF Chief of Staff Dan Halutz says: Pointless. Prospects of diplomatic resolution exhausted.

"Netanyahu: Pre-emptive Strike on Iran"
    By Ryan Jones, JNewsWire.com
    Dec 5, 2005
  14. Hang on, after Israel declared Independence from British rule, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Egypt, Transjordan attacked Israel resulting in the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, many of us Brit's where targeted in this war and we had many men that fought alongside Israel many of who where killed by the arabs. The Israeli military managed not only to maintain their military control of Israel, but to expand their holdings. Israel where invaded and held there own, the fact they advanced is nothing illegal! The humiliation of the Arab armies at having been routed by the Jewish forces, together with the rising nationalist frenzy in Arab nations, contributed to rising hatred for the Jews.

The bibles only a book ah? Tell the arabs the koran is too when they have countless suicide twats who blow them selves up killing countless civilians and using Islam to justify there terrorist actions.
  15. Firstly it was the UN under US pressure that partitioned Palestine and it is to the UN that Israel owes it's existence.
    Secondly the the British due largely to American pressure and the fact we were bankrupt were forced to refer the decision to the UN (initially the British had hoped to keep Palestine as base). Thirdly are we forgetting the little guerilla war that gangs like the Stern and Haganah fought against the British soldiers up to 1948. Finally if I was you I would look up the role of the British soldiers in the Arab legion.

I don't dispute that Arabs offically decalared war against Israel in 1948 but I would also in the same time mention things like Gurion's Plan D which meant that the Israelis were already breaching the partition as set out by the UN.