War Dog - Al J Venter

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Alec_Lomas, Jun 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Venter's tome has two further sub titles ' How to fight other peoples wars' and 'A history of the Modern Mercenary'. None of them fit the book, which in my opinion would have been best titled - 'Executive Outcomes in Africa'

The book records the 'wars' in Angola, Mozambique and Sierra Leone predominantly; Op Barras merits 5 pages of their (EO's) perspective. Although originally in the shops in 2005 it remains topical, what with Simon Mann's issue just being settled and Zimbabwe's current crisis.

A good read with supporting photographs on the lives and loss of lives of former Rhodesian and SA military diaspora with an ex- Hereford face or two thrown in . At £15 you could do worse.

2. I'm reading it now - there's some interesting stuff in there its got to be said but I'm not keen on the way its been put together. It could be a lot shorter and better organised for my money. There are also a fair whack of typos/schoolboy errors in it (50mm - when referring to the Browning .50 calibre for instance) which doesn't say much for the Author's claim to have been involved with Janes'.

All that said - I'm glad I bought it and it is an interesting read.

3. Another good one on the same subject is "Guns for Hire" by Tony Gerarty better put together than War Dogs which I've also read.

4. Gerarthy? I spit on the floor, yet another fcekwit 'Freddy' I know better tome. Take yourself outside the room and give yourself 50 push-ups :D

5. What the fcuk are you on about ? are you "special" ? :D

6. Agree, fair points. Fred Marofono is a real person after all, could possibly feature in the QM's Forum in another thread.

7. Oh PULEESUE Fred F do me a favour guvnor. As for Gerathy as you spell his name ... utter cnut!!

8. You really are a tit are'nt ya nobhead. Now take ya dick out ya dads mouth and go back to w*nking over Ross Kemp in Ultimate Force...fcuking STAB hat :roll: don't bother replying ya retard cos I got better things to do than argue with a pr*ck like you

9. Gosh you are a sad lttle boy. I hope you get over it soon. Oh by the way, should you need need to talk to Fred Marafono, give me a pm,. But there's always Peter Mc Aleese if you not too pissed as he's now back in UK big man!!

13. :D Alec Lomas a cadet - that really made me laugh

sorry Alec