War dead to be driven down side streets to avoid the public

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by singha61, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Telegraph
    The bodies of soldiers killed in Afghanistan will no longer be honoured with a public parade but will be driven through back streets to avoid upset, it has emerged.
    For several years, the flag-draped coffins of fallen servicemen and women have been met by large crowds who line the streets to pay their respects as they return to British soil.

But repatriation flights are to be diverted and will no longer be flown back to RAF Lyneham and through the small Wiltshire town of Royal Wootton Bassett, where they were saluted come rain or shine.

Instead, they will arrive back to RAF Brize Norton, where they will be driven through the back gate and then down side roads, neatly avoiding the nearby town of Carterton, as they make their way to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.

Andrew Robathan, Minister for Defence Personnel, Welfare and Veterans, admitted that the decision to avoid public scenes of emotion had been taken deliberately.

“The side gate was seen by the Ministry of Defence and the police as the most appropriate way to take out future corteges,” he told Radio Oxford.
    “I am not sure taking coffins in hearses past schools, past families, past married quarters is necessarily the thing that everybody would wish to see … the focus must be on the families of the dead service personnel. They are the people who care most. That is where our focus is.”

The Ministry of Defence said the route from RAF Brize Norton, where flights had landed until the runway was closed for repair work in 2007, was decided by Oxford City Council but claimed that the side gate would be used to ensure minimal disruption to normal operations.

A spokesman added: “Consideration has also been given to ensure the dignity and solemnity of the military repatriation ceremony is maintained and to those who are arriving at RAF Brize Norton about to deploy on operations.”

Wootton Bassett was the first town in more than 100 years to be granted the “Royal” title in recognition of its parades for fallen soldiers.

John Beauchamp, 80, a local Navy veteran, said: “Wootton Bassett has done a damn good job and anyone who tries to hide it away should emigrate.”

War dead to be driven down side streets to avoid the public - Telegraph

Mail Online
    As Dave 'does the talking', war dead are sneaked out of the back gate

As Dave ‘does the talking’, war dead are sneaked out of the back gate The flag-wrapped coffins of dead servicemen are to be driven out of the back gate of RAF Brize Norton when it takes over from Lyneham (a few weeks from now) as the arrival point for the fallen.

They will then be routed down side roads to avoid nearby Carterton – a town almost exactly the same size as Wootton Bassett – and make their way to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford along A-roads and bypasses. There’ll be a small guard of honour near the hospital entrance (there already is) but somehow or other the cortege won’t go down any High Streets.

PETER HITCHENS: As Dave 'does the talking', war dead are sneaked out of the back gate | Mail Online

2. This saddens me - greatly......................

3. OP you don't say whether you're in favour of the decision or not. I can't see it changing much, people will just gather elsewhere, like by the side gate.

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if the people have the will then they will block the routes with tractors and piles of dung, its a disgrace, lyneham strip will still be open so they could still land the party there then fly off to brize.

5. I suppose it was more a question of saving money, the trough must be running low, the dirty low down skulking mingebags, I would,nt giver them pissing space in an ocean.

6. I'm failing to be outraged at this. As stated in the article the focus is on the families of the dead, people whinged about how Wootten Basset had become a bit of grief whore gathering, now the grief whores will have to work harder to be there. If people want to show their respects then there's always lay by's and bridges and the sides of the back roads.

• Like Like x 11
  7. This is outrageous. I'm off for some self flagellation.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Just by the thread title alone, I bet myself this was a Daily Mail Special.....the paper that loves to get your blood pressure up.....how very wrong I was.....

As just about anyone who has been to Lyneham can tell you the move to Brize has (as most Arrsers will be aware) been on the cards since 2001.......when I recall discussions at HQ LAND that SLAM would not be needed there ...

[ 'Outrage Omnibus ' Mk1 on standby .....Chocks away Ginger ! ]

I don't know what route vehicles collecting the fallen from Brize are set to take....but although the station is a fair size, it ain't that big a village....and I beg to suggest that anyone who thinks there is a huge conspiracy behind the decision to relocate repatriations to Brize either hasn't been keeping up with the state of Crab Air's Transport fleet or is in dire need of one of these:

[​IMG]

(there are no black helicopters.....move along please....)

9. Who cares where it lands or how it gets to the hospital.
    There are lot of grief whores that seem to get outraged at the slightest thing. Leave it fot the families and friends at the funerals.
    I'm sure someone will get outraged by this, get a ****ing life.

• Like Like x 1
  10. A spokesman added: “Consideration has also been given to ensure the dignity and solemnity of the military repatriation ceremony is maintained and to those who are arriving at RAF Brize Norton about to deploy on operations.”

having never been in that position I'd have no idea, but I'd hazard a guess it'd be the last thing you'd want to see as you were waiting to board?

• Like Like x 2
  11. It's normally dark oclock after many delays so you probably wouldnt see much. It's not like it's a big secret that people get killed over there. Most people that have been out there have been to vigils and ramp ceremonies.

12. Yeah it was great in the eighties.
    No one knew squaddies were dying in Ireland.

13. Does rather tend to put a dampener on things.

T'was one of the US's more bone habits during the Vietnam War - unloading coffins off a plane then marching the replacements on for the return trip.

14. as much as i hate to say this,yes it's very wrong,but i can see it being the start of very slowly and very quietly withdrawing as fast as can from afgan dave cannot afford it any more and wants to find his own conflict to make his name on the international stage.

15. I'm not sure where I stand on this one, was it the highlighting of casualties that caused this decision, or genuine concern for the families?

What will be interesting is if people gather at the side gate, will the MOD accept this or re-route the repatriation again?

As another thought this would seem better than waiting for returning troops so you can wave 'Baby killer' banners at them, a la Vietnam.

'Hey hey
    LBJ
    How many kids
    Did you kill today?'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.