Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jemadarjo, Jun 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Accusations were made on Radio 4 today that the Royal Lancashire Regiment were responsible for some of the greatest war crimes that have been committed since the second great war.
    The BBC as a part of the British Government has a duty to pass on any evidence it has to the Authorities so that Justice can be done.
    If these accusations are without foundation, then the accuser must be held to account for spreading misinformation against the UK armed forces.

This link is to a BBC radio programme broadcast today, the full text may not be available yet but as soon as it is I shall relate it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00krkct
  2. Please. Relate it.
  3. What the f**k are you talking about? Royal Lancashire Regiment?
  4. Royal Lancaster Regiment
  5. What has Desert Island Discs with Piers Morgan got to do with the Royal Lancashire Regiment???
  6. It was Piers Morgan's Desert Island Disks, when he was asked about the photos that led to his sacking from The Mirror, he alluded to the photos which his paper claimed were of the QLR abusing prisoners/locals, which have not, in his opinion, been satisfactorily explained and that the QLR were later implicated in the death of Baha Mousa.
  7. The broadcast seems to have been taken offline. What were the accusations? Made by whom? Someone who called in? If that's the case, it's probably best not to give them any publicity and bite your tongue, as it were.
  8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Do you have a strange fetish for Piers Morgan? That's the second thread you've started about him.

Oh, and you might have thought to mention that the programme concerned is Desert Island Discs, which is only
    ever repeated once per episode on a , errrmmm, Friday!
  9. Oh God.....The f**kwit is trying to make out that the photo's that he paid money for, that were shown to be fake and resulted in someone being SNLR from the TA were, in fact, real photos of real crimes.
  10. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

It's never online mate.

There is an on going dispute between Roy Plomley's widow and Auntie Beeb:

11. I cannot comment as I turned the radio off as soon as I heard who was the guest on Desert Island Discs. I normally listen, but for this cnut NO WAY.
  12. Fecking weasel, has no one come across him in the smoke and relieved him of his front teeth yet
  13. As I'd not turned it off, when I started the car on Sunday morning, the Radio fired into life and 'twas TCM's voice I heard first. I caught the last few words of his self-justification, which was to the effect that if he thought the photos were fake, he'd never have published them. Oddly enough, he didn't mention the fact that Arrsers illustrated that they were, indeed, fake within about six hours of the Mirror hitting the newstands.

Before I had the chance to mutter 'Cnut' at the radio, Kirsty Young asked him about his next piece of music. Apparently, TCM managed to get some pop star (I forget who) to record a marriage proposal for him, so if Piers ever chooses to propose to his girlfriend, he will play this tape/CD to her, with said pop star proposing on Piers' behalf '...if she's ever lucky enough that I decide to ask', said Piers. At which point I did mutter 'Cnut' at the radio and swapped stations.

In essence, a pi55-poor attempt at justifying why he published the photos, with a bid to suggest that they were either (a) accurate or (b) 'an accurate representation' of what the all elements of the Army were up to in Iraq at the time.
  14. Clarkson had a go:

15. Listened to DID this morning and heard Piers Morgan in relation to his comments re QLR.

Kirsty Young asked him about his sacking from The Mirror and the circumstances surrounding it. - Strangely, no mention of ARRSE (doths cap to ViroBono and others), but you can't have it all ways.

Piers' comments amounted to; "I was sure that the photos were genuine, it has never actually been proven otherwise" (really Piers?) - he went onto say that the QLR were responsible for some of the worst attrocities of the mil op, made specific reference to the death of Baha Musa in custody.

Finished up with a comment, the thrust of which was; "Although, this story was disputed, I stand by it, as the underlying story of British Soldiers committing war crimes was true, even though the incident in question was disputed by some and I have done a public duty in bringing the underlying story out.

Heartening to hear Piers wax lyrical about his relationship with Tony Blair and how much he liked him on a personal level - and how the feeling was mutual, etc.

'nuff said.

edited to add: sorry, have just seen archimedes' post.