War by Sebastian Junger

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by scarletto, Oct 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the release of the Documentary Restrepo, I would like to recommend the book the documentary came from. For 15 months the author and a film man sometimes was based with a single platoon in a base in the mountains of Afghanistan. Its not your normal book, he was out on patrols with the men, when the firebase for a better word was under assault and in a hummer which was hit by an IED.

He met the men on leave back in the USA, and this is what clinches the book for me, he develops an underatnding with the men rather than the usual journos ideas, okay at times you think from the way the men are, its a bad Vietnam film, but its the way they are.

Men die, get wounded, suffer the aftermath of battle, units are overrun, bodies are nearly taken by the Taliban, the meetins with the locals to the killing of the cow, its all dealt with,without saying look how bad we are, its a great book, which deserves reading.

Blood in, Blood out.
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Great book and reviewed here by PR_Totty.

At the Edinburgh Book Festival, just about every author who had written on a military theme referred to this book as the definitive to come out of the recent wars.

Definitely worth a place on anyone's bookshelf.
  3. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Personally I didn't like it - too solipsistic. David Finkel's 'The Good Soldiers' is much better.
  4. IMHO The Finkel is better! If you have read Alan Massie's Augustus then you will love the Finkel. But War is good too. Damnit - they are both good.