War [and other] movies youd like to see made

I'd watch a movie about Orde Wingate.
Orde Wingate - Wikipedia

I'm big fan of Lawrence of Arabia Directed by British Director David Lean. I think that Orde's story from palestine, to his idea of long range penetration patrols in WW2 against the IJA would make a colourful, dramatic, and interesting story, he was one hell of an eccentric, he could be played by Benedict Cumberbach, or maybe someone, shorter.
While the subject is interesting, OK, more than interesting, the man was an absolute loon with some ideas that went well beyond eccentric but also had some very effective ideas on waging war, especially against superior forces. The trouble with bio-pics is that to cover even part of a persons life they have to skim over so much that you don't really get much idea of the person as a whole.

If you think of Lawrence of Arabia then you realise that the film really only covers 2 years of his life and even then manages to distort much of who he actually was to make political points. Don't get me wrong, I love the film but as a film, as history it is rubbish. If a film-maker really wanted to be incendiary they would concentrate on Wingate's time in Palestine.

I love the film but as a film, as history it is rubbish. If a film-maker really wanted to be incendiary they would concentrate on Wingate's time in Palestine.
Didnt he train Most of the Palmach leaders who were SNS members??

While the subject is interesting, OK, more than interesting, the man was an absolute loon with some ideas that went well beyond eccentric but also had some very effective ideas on waging war, especially against superior forces. The trouble with bio-pics is that to cover even part of a persons life they have to skim over so much that you don't really get much idea of the person as a whole.

If you think of Lawrence of Arabia then you realise that the film really only covers 2 years of his life and even then manages to distort much of who he actually was to make political points. Don't get me wrong, I love the film but as a film, as history it is rubbish. If a film-maker really wanted to be incendiary they would concentrate on Wingate's time in Palestine.
quite agree with you there, I don't think too much material would mean a weak story line, and movies are only art versions of the real subject anyway. with Sgt York and to Hell and back (Audie Murphy) they sketched through the lives of the subject before they were famous, before concentrating on their war record. With Orde, he did have a girl, and a past with the Palestine situation. The film would start with his death ( in the jungle plane crash ) just like LOA. Brush through his life avoiding anything too incendiary to concentrate on his exploits in WW2. Take out the Onions.

I’d like to see the life of William Grover Williams filmed. Who? The man who won the first two Monaco Grand Prix and, for a while, Etorre Bugatti’s personal chauffeur. An early racing hero in a time when life expectancy was short.

Along with fellow Bugatti drivers, Jean-Pierre Wimille and Robert Benoist, Williams was an early members of SOE. Benoist and Williams were captured by the Nazis and executed at Sachsenhausen. Wimille survived the war only to die in a racing accident in 1939.
There is an alternative theory over Williams death; he survived the war and lived with Grover Williams widow after the war under the name George Tambal only to die in the 70s when knocked off his bike. She was a Resistance heroine and post war became a drivIng light behind Crufts.

Robert Ryan fictionalised Williams’ life in One Fine Day, connecting a series of true events ina fictional sequence. The book would make a great movie, but the truth is probably far more dramatic...

I’d like to see the life of William Grover Williams filmed. Who? The man who won the first two Monaco Grand Prix and, for a while, Etorre Bugatti’s personal chauffeur. An early racing hero in a time when life expectancy was short.

Along with fellow Bugatti drivers, Jean-Pierre Wimille and Robert Benoist, Williams was an early members of SOE. Benoist and Williams were captured by the Nazis and executed at Sachsenhausen. Wimille survived the war only to die in a racing accident in 1939.
There is an alternative theory over Williams death; he survived the war and lived with Grover Williams widow after the war under the name George Tambal only to die in the 70s when knocked off his bike. She was a Resistance heroine and post war became a drivIng light behind Crufts.

Robert Ryan fictionalised Williams’ life in One Fine Day, connecting a series of true events ina fictional sequence. The book would make a great movie, but the truth is probably far more dramatic...
Don't tell me. He was driving the Delorean from Back to the Future at the time.

Didnt he train Most of the Palmach leaders who were SNS members??
Its some time since I read the biography by Christopher Sykes so I can't be certain but if he didn't actively train them then they certainly learnt from others that he trained. That he was a very committed Zionist is beyond question and he did as much as he was able to assist them.

I'd like to see a movie made on Badajoz. It'd be given the full SPR/Pacific gore-fest treatment. It'd be all in there: the shitty peninsular weather, the siege, bombardment, sapping, the pre-assault tension, the folorn hope, the scaling of the walls, mounds of bodies, mines going up, more bodies, more mines, more bodies and the eventual victory... followed by the mother of all kick-offs, raping and pillaging on a Viking scale and a bit of 'anging for good measure. Then Wellington blubbing like a girl on the ramparts at the sheer cost of it all. Marvellous. Sharpe's Siege proved you can't carry this off on a budget of £65.00. It'd make a helluva movie.

I'd like to see a movie made on Badajoz. It'd be given the full SPR/Pacific gore-fest treatment. It'd be all in there: the shitty peninsular weather, the siege, bombardment, sapping, the pre-assault tension, the folorn hope, the scaling of the walls, mounds of bodies, mines going up, more bodies, more mines, more bodies and the eventual victory... followed by the mother of all kick-offs, raping and pillaging on a Viking scale and a bit of 'anging for good measure. Then Wellington blubbing like a girl on the ramparts at the sheer cost of it all. Marvellous. Sharpe's Siege proved you can't carry this off on a budget of £65.00. It'd make a helluva movie.
didn't see all the Sharpe's series, did they cover the 95th Rifles retreat to Corunna?

didn't see all the Sharpe's series, did they cover the 95th Rifles retreat to Corunna?
Cornwell did in the books - Sharpe's Rifles IIRC.

I would like a see a historical/biographical film about Frank Wittle and his struggle to get his ideas for the jet engine taken seriously - then the secret trials and eventually the Gloster Meteor entering service.

Last edited:
Reading the wikipedia article, yes, I reckon Badajoz aka Sharpe: The Dark Reboot would be cracking. You'd have to really commit to the bleak savage gorefest aspect though.

AIUI, post-war Nazi hunters, people like Major 'Bill' Barkworth and Vera Atkins, went looking for the Nazis' British victims, and brought war criminals to trial - one of which 'fell downstairs'.

So maybe a decent English language film about the WW2 Resistance, SOE and political prisoners in occupied Europe, sent as 'NN prisoners' to isolation camps like Cat. III Natzweiler-Struthof (KLNa) in Alsace between 1941-1944. Natzweiler was the only concentration camp in France. Expanded under Keitel, the Nacht und Nebel Erlass dealt with the 'most dangerous resistors and saboteurs of the Third Reich.'

Battle of the Vercors

a Good St Nazaire or Dieppe film

Operation Flipper

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Cornwell did in the books - Sharpe's Rifles IIRC.
yes - the first of the series. I'm re-reading it now.

@SPROCKET321 - it only mentions the details of the 95th fighting retreat in passing. Sharpe gets cut off from his unit and has to battle his way South , hotly pursued by SS prototype French Dragoons led by the suave but merciless Colonel de L'Eclin.

Can anyone recommend a basic entry level primer on the Peninsular War?

Love the Sharpe's - but I'm after the factual background in short form.

The Peninsular War 1807 - 1814: A concise military history by Michael Glover.
Two quid on Amazon, bit dated from 2001(can't believe that old!) but Bernard Cornwell recommends it in the early Sharpe books.

Reading the wikipedia article, yes, I reckon Badajoz aka Sharpe: The Dark Reboot would be cracking. You'd have to really commit to the bleak savage gorefest aspect though.
It has struck me a few times that a Band Of Brothers-esque treatment of 1st/95th in the Peninsular would make for exceptional television, with Mark Urban's Rifles as a starting point. His chronicle is fascinating, and there are a number of interesting characters whom we know a reasonable amount about, and on whose experience the story could focus - Costello, Fairfoot, Allemand, Leech, Simmons, O'Hare and more besides. It begs to be made.

If you think of Lawrence of Arabia then you realise that the film really only covers 2 years of his life and even then manages to distort much of who he actually was to make political points.
Something Lawrence himself managed in his 'autobiographical' Seven Pillars of Wisdom, much of which is said to be fictional.

Have any films ever been made about some of the more secret aspects of World War Two, such as RAF Photo Reconnaissance with converted and unarmed Spitfires and Mosquitos?

@Magic_Mushroom might know.

Or the RAF crews who flew Lysander and other aircraft in support of the SOE, often landing in occupied territory.