War [and other] movies youd like to see made

Battle of Sangin / Siege of Sangin / Sangringad etc 2007.

It's been almost ten years which seems to be the general rule of thumb of when it is ok to start making movies about recent wars.

Maybe said before, sh1ts given zero, Al Amarah, Sniper One.
Depending on who you believe, hidden dictaphone while chatting to others in cimic house helped flesh out book.
Camp Abu Naji battlegroup had a entire city to control with cimic house immortalised by

I persuaded an american girl i know to watch Kajaki with me recently. She had absolutely no idea what any of them were saying, couldn't understand a word of it with all the army slang etc...

If they make a big budget british war movie then it's going to have to have subtitles for the septics (the main audience)

How about a storyline covering cutting to different people , i.e McManners etc ? You could make a cracking film . Seen as they made another film about Northern Ireland [ 71 ? ]surely a Falkland film would be a commercial success ?

I persuaded an american girl i know to watch Kajaki with me recently. She had absolutely no idea what any of them were saying, couldn't understand a word of it with all the army slang etc...

If they make a big budget british war movie then it's going to have to have subtitles for the septics (the main audience)
Got to agree, sadly. I watched it on DVD with our lass last night, racked the sound up and put the subtitles on. The main characters can be heard quite well, but some of the sound is dire.

Got to agree, sadly. I watched it on DVD with our lass last night, racked the sound up and put the subtitles on. The main characters can be heard quite well, but some of the sound is dire.
Yes i has to turn it up a bit too but the number of people in the world who can readily understand British regional accents mixed with army slang spoken in muffled and war zone like conditions is limited.

I rank Kajaki as one of the best British war movies of all time but the things that made it so good are the same things that mean nobody apart from some serving and ex British military types will make any sense of it.

Nobody is going to fund an authentic British war movie because this aspect of Britishness does not export very well to foreign markets (the US). Hence why the Americans remake so many British TV shows with their own actors.

I am aware of Dunkirk coming out next year and note that the cast contains some "exportable" British actors, no doubt carefully selected to appear friendly and familiar to the US audience but i fear that they have gone too far in casting that odious little man Harry Styles of the manufactured pop group One Direction. That would be like putting Justin Beber in Kajaki

Yes i has to turn it up a bit too but the number of people in the world who can readily understand British regional accents mixed with army slang spoken in muffled and war zone like conditions is limited.

I rank Kajaki as one of the best British war movies of all time but the things that made it so good are the same things that mean nobody apart from some serving and ex British military types will make any sense of it.

Nobody is going to fund an authentic British war movie because this aspect of Britishness does not export very well to foreign markets (the US). Hence why the Americans remake so many British TV shows with their own actors.

I am aware of Dunkirk coming out next year and note that the cast contains some "exportable" British actors, no doubt carefully selected to appear friendly and familiar to the US audience but i fear that they have gone too far in casting that odious little man Harry Styles of the manufactured pop group One Direction. That would be like putting Justin Beber in Kajaki
They filmed a railway station scene in my town a couple of weeks ago.
I have never heard of Harry Styles but seem to recall One Direction, which would account for the centre of Swanage being gridlocked with teeny boppers for a couple of days.
Hope the film is good.

They filmed a railway station scene in my town a couple of weeks ago.
I have never heard of Harry Styles but seem to recall One Direction, which would account for the centre of Swanage being gridlocked with teeny boppers for a couple of days.
Hope the film is good.
Exactly, for reasons unknown, one direction and this man in particular have a cult like following, i'm not talking Beatles cult like either, more like the Branch Davidians.

I wouldn't mind someone having a go at the Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer
It could made made into a mini series rather than a movie.

A documentary on the Battle of the Boars Head on 30 June 1916.
A diversionary attack the day before the opening of the Somme.
Known as The Day Sussex Died, the 116th Bde, mostly the 11,12 and 13 Royal Sussex Regiment lost over 360 dead, 1000 wounded or prisoners.
CSM Nelson Carter was awarded the VC.
An absolute failure and quickly overshadowed by the Somme, it should have been a warning that the offensive would not go well.
Colonel Grisewood, commander of the 11th was so horrified at the lack of planning he declared that he would not sacrifice his men as cannon fodder, and was relieved of his post.

The Day that Sussex Died - WW1 East Sussex

Last edited:
I'd watch a movie about Orde Wingate.
Orde Wingate - Wikipedia

I'm big fan of Lawrence of Arabia Directed by British Director David Lean. I think that Orde's story from palestine, to his idea of long range penetration patrols in WW2 against the IJA would make a colourful, dramatic, and interesting story, he was one hell of an eccentric, he could be played by Benedict Cumberbach, or maybe someone, shorter.

I know of very few films about the Cold War in Germany. I know that it was a war that ultimately wasn't fought but the scenario could still be used. There was menace by the bucket-load.

Was anything ever made of the Berlin Airlift?

'The Bofors Gun' was one that was made. Very dark.

I'd watch a movie about Orde Wingate.
Orde Wingate - Wikipedia

I'm big fan of Lawrence of Arabia Directed by British Director David Lean. I think that Orde's story from palestine, to his idea of long range penetration patrols in WW2 against the IJA would make a colourful, dramatic, and interesting story, he was one hell of an eccentric, he could be played by Benedict Cumberbach, or maybe someone, shorter.
Some might say a bit of a nutter. He was relieved of his command in Palestine because he was suspected of giving info to the Jewish underground (who became the enemy after the war), Bernard Fergusson's book 'Trumpets of the Hall' contains some contemporary information about Wingate. To some extent Fergusson copied his ideas and set up his own 'special squads' in Palestine in '47 - it didn't end well! Fergusson presents his experience in the form of a boys own story, but the reality of the Chindit patrols took a heavy toll on men - Fergusson was part of this too.

but the reality of the Chindit patrols took a heavy toll on men - Fergusson was part of this too.
yes, only two men out of the whole lot was unaffected by battle wounds, jungle illness ect, similar casualty proportion with Merrill's marauders. But it has been suggested that The Chindits made the Japanese deploy a division against them that could have made a difference to the outcome at Kohima.