Wanting to leave

I am aware of this, it is why I said I'm waiting until the whole covid situation dies down, I am looking into logistics or considering another service Police or fire brigade
If you are interested in logistics than perhaps you could look at postings that place you in or near the Golden Triangle. Not immediately but in the longer term, to ease the transistion and be reasonably handy for the in-laws.

Become a train driver. Lots of ex-Military and Old Bill work for the various tarin companies. Good pay and, if you are that way inclined, you spend most of the time in your own company... driving the train!!
Easier said than done. The TOCs don't open up trainee roles all that often and when they do there is a lot of competition. Even if you get through the paper sift from the initial application there is attendance at an assessment centre where there are a number of aptitude, safety, concentration, reaction and co-ordination tests to pass and a lot of people fail them. Once in the job there is a long training period and a number of assessments and exams along the way including simulator tests which all need to be passed.

If you do get through all that then the pay is pretty good and you do get the best seat on the train. You even get a front seat view of someone turning into pink mist when they decide to step in front of you when you're doing 100 mph.

Stinkhole

Clanker
Norn, no idea where you’re based or your trade/skills are. But noticed your comment about moving to Scouseland. Is this your decision or mum to be?
I jacked it in on the love interest & a year & half later it all went (seriously) wrong. Like bat shit mental wrong! I got seriously screwed.

You need to have some sort of exit plan before you go. Not everyone lands on their feet like Ravers!
I was in a pretty good job in the maritime sector then got fucked off for a minor issue to save 17.5 years redundancy pay. No problem I thought, I’ll reach out to all the contractors I’ve dealt with who say is through the roof.
Nah, this or that contract had fallen through, lean times now. I now do home delivery for a supermarket at just above minimum wage (one of our drivers is also a pilot for an airway, today he’s in a Merc Sprinter, tomorrow he’s in a Boeing to keep his hours up or he has to retrain.
Civvy street ain’t always greener.
If you think you’ll be snapped up by fire or police, you know how many applications they get per post?
The forces would be full of singlies if every time a baby came along.
Stay where you are just now mate.
Are you in a trade, I don’t think you’ve answered that yet?
Best of luck

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If leaving join the Army Reserve asp. Keeps trades and possibly rank live. If all works out see if you fancy it. If not it is a good fall back for FTRS and the like. Also gives tou good contacts in the area you move to.

Britreb

Swinger
Easier said than done. The TOCs don't open up trainee roles all that often and when they do there is a lot of competition. Even if you get through the paper sift from the initial application there is attendance at an assessment centre where there are a number of aptitude, safety, concentration, reaction and co-ordination tests to pass and a lot of people fail them. Once in the job there is a long training period and a number of assessments and exams along the way including simulator tests which all need to be passed.

If you do get through all that then the pay is pretty good and you do get the best seat on the train. You even get a front seat view of someone turning into pink mist when they decide to step in front of you when you're doing 100 mph.
Of course, but that is the same for any job. I would not expect to walk straight in!

Also do not fall for what many did during the hagiography of the forces during the Afghanistan years- thinking that anyone will place significant value on being ex-forces. It doesn't work that way.

The truth is-you'll either be seen as a threat on account of having had more life experience than them or- you'll bore the tits off them narrating stories of derring-do.

Civvie workplaces dont work like the forces-where workmates can be relied upon if anything hits the fan.
There are very rarely any "real" friends in a civvy workplace. In so9me sectors there are exceptions. It took me a while to realise that. Its dog eat dog and if you are better than anyone in any way-you WILL be seen as a direct threat...even though they;'ll give you the impression they think the sun shines out of your arse.

Stay put for your, your mrs and your child's sake.
Its too uncertain out here in civvy st at the moment-as many have said-thousands are out of work, and thousands have CVs with all sort of bullshit entries that might actually appeal to 'bosses' who thrive on that sort of stuff.

Quick example: In the refs room one day not too long ago, some bright young thing was holding court about the "Mental" night out he'd had on his rest days. The punchline was something along the lines of "And I was soooooo drunk I missed my mouth with my drink and poured it down my shirt....and I was nearly sick in the taxi home!" That dit drew 100% attention of some people and they found it hillarious.
Mentally I was going to myself "Keep quiet..keep fecking quiet...nah, no point spinning that dit...they wont get it...just go for a shit instead".
And don't rely on the loyalty of other 'veterans' in your civilian workplace. Some immediately become back-stabbing bastards (and probably were when they were serving).

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
And don't rely on the loyalty of other 'veterans' in your civilian workplace. Some immediately become back-stabbing bastards (and probably were when they were serving).
Yes I noticed that at my old employers, there were a few chaps you could rely on, decent fellows, but one was really out for himself

Norn_ireland

Swinger
Yip - I'll go ask on a forum about resettlement. FFS pull yourself together.

Skill set? Available jobs? Northern Ireland isn't coming down with opportunity.

Or hold on soldier on, stable career, decent life for kiddie and a nice wee pension?
Not moving back to Northern Ireland, Mrs is English, and not the best career for knowing everything your time isn't actually yours weekend can be cancelled, ect, atleast I get what you mean on stability though especially during this, hence why I'm waiting till after to start looking at better options, don't get me wrong I like the army but everyone says army first family a close second, family is always first in my book

Norn_ireland

Swinger
Norn, no idea where you’re based or your trade/skills are. But noticed your comment about moving to Scouseland. Is this your decision or mum to be?
I jacked it in on the love interest & a year & half later it all went (seriously) wrong. Like bat shit mental wrong! I got seriously screwed.

You need to have some sort of exit plan before you go. Not everyone lands on their feet like Ravers!
I was in a pretty good job in the maritime sector then got fucked off for a minor issue to save 17.5 years redundancy pay. No problem I thought, I’ll reach out to all the contractors I’ve dealt with who say is through the roof.
Nah, this or that contract had fallen through, lean times now. I now do home delivery for a supermarket at just above minimum wage (one of our drivers is also a pilot for an airway, today he’s in a Merc Sprinter, tomorrow he’s in a Boeing to keep his hours up or he has to retrain.
Civvy street ain’t always greener.
If you think you’ll be snapped up by fire or police, you know how many applications they get per post?
The forces would be full of singlies if every time a baby came along.
Stay where you are just now mate.
Are you in a trade, I don’t think you’ve answered that yet?
Best of luck
I am in a trade mate yeah

Not moving back to Northern Ireland, Mrs is English, and not the best career for knowing everything your time isn't actually yours weekend can be cancelled, ect, atleast I get what you mean on stability though especially during this, hence why I'm waiting till after to start looking at better options, don't get me wrong I like the army but everyone says army first family a close second, family is always first in my book
Some Civvy jobs are the same mate. Police, fire, NHS for instance.
I'm married to a Nurse, she's had to put her job first and family second for a long while now because of what she does.
The grass isn't always greener tbh. Stay in the Army until you retire, if you joined at 18, retire from greens kin at 40. Shit, I wish I was in your shoes, it would be stay in green purely for the job security.

I can never understand why crabs having made the decision to join the services didnt join one of the armed ones.
Too much like work. Shit food.
working past 12 on a Friday.
Working weds afternoon. Working on market days (eg tidly Tuesdays) when not on detachment. Wearing proper uniform when working.
Rubbish accommodation, too many shouty types, too much marching, too many bull nights, too many parades, too much ironing, too much being told what to do and being expected to do it , being treated like a child or a dog not enough pay too much bs not enough rate ones not enough travel too much busy work too much guard duty. Not being able to savagely abuse the TOIL system. I was never part of the RAF tbh just loosely associated with for 6 years. TCW was where I wanted to get but didn't. In hindsight I may have been a better fit in the sigs but I would never admit it in public. The army probably dodged a bullet to be fair.

Last edited:
Too much like work. Shit food.
Rubbish accommodation too many shouty types, too much marching, too many bull nights, too many parades, too much ironing, too much being told what to do and being expected to do it , being treated like a child or a dog not enough pay too much bs not enough rate ones not enough travel too much busy work to much guard duty. Not being able to savagely abuse the TOIL system. I was never part of the RAF tbh just loosely associated with for 6 years. TCW was where I wanted to get but didn't. In hindsight I may have been a better fit in the sigs but I would never admit it in public. The army probably dodged a bullet to be fair.
TCW, lower rep than the Rocks. But they looked lovely in squeaky clean combats while not managing to communicate. Which was nice.

TCW, lower rep than the Rocks. But they looked lovely in squeaky clean combats while not managing to communicate. Which was nice.
It may surprise you but I wasn't in to 'impress pongos' with my 'rep' that's just needy and a bit sad .The plan was travel get paid get drunk get laid, don't get caught don't work too hard unless cornered like a rat . Most of which I achieved most of the time. Never looked Down on or up to anyone. Saw the way squddies were treated and still are as I have worked as a civvy on many camps, sod that. . Any way thread drift.
Dont leave unless you have a job that will be paying you a pension in 20 years or so when you semi retire. Don't forget you may be stuck with the army but they are stuck with you. Civvy st not so much.

Last edited:

If you see them, then its three months off bucksee

I can never understand why crabs having made the decision to join the services didnt join one of the armed ones.
I concede this point In respect to rock apes they seemed obsessed with playing army ???!! . Civvy in uniform was my raison d'etra or Rtb. I always seemed to get on better with army guys than raf types mind . That's why I'm here ,pprune is a tad dull.

Latest Threads