Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanting to leave

You'd be better staying put until well after covid ends, too much uncertainty to plan anything right now. Hope it all goes well for you though mate, will always have a place in the army if you need it.
Yeah mate that's what I was thinking, steady Income during these uncertain times, just don't want my kid to barley know me you know, so yeah my plan is to wait out but weighing blmy options for when the time comes.

Last edited:
Almost 2,000,000 unemployed in the UK, with more added to the list daily, especially young people. More businesses are closing or contracting in size, very few are growing.

If you want to work for McDonalds or Amazon at the very lowest entry level position you will be fighting probably hundreds of people, many of whom will have University Degrees, or have been Apprentices with skills aplenty.

You have a decently paying job that houses you adequately. Work hard, be reliable and do the right courses and you will have advancement which will bring you better and better wages. OK, so the chances of world travel aren't there as much as we oldies had, but think really hard about what you actually have, and what you can actually offer a prospective employer. Because simply being ex-forces, or a Veteran isn't going to impress any HR Drone when they sift the 100s of CVs they receive for every single menial post.
I am aware of this, it is why I said I'm waiting until the whole covid situation dies down, I am looking into logistics or considering another service Police or fire brigade

Nornironman

Old-Salt
Yip - I'll go ask on a forum about resettlement. FFS pull yourself together.

Skill set? Available jobs? Northern Ireland isn't coming down with opportunity.

Or hold on soldier on, stable career, decent life for kiddie and a nice wee pension?

If you're really looking at getting out....

Cyber. Get yourself skilled-up, qualified and competent. There is plenty of work out there and it's changing all the time.

Cyber is one of those roles where it is a certification/re-certification treadmill and continuous learning life. Having been in IT for the whole of my civvy career have never really enjoyed a solid week of sitting there listening to someone present screen after screen of configuration commands and options (let alone compulsory ITIL training, a life sapping experience I tell you), and I enjoy technology. For me academic courses are much more enjoyable, and any such quals last a lifetime :)

So for the OP I think the advice is look at what motivates you and you enjoy and try and find a career path in there somewhere otherwise you might not stick at it. For burger flipper etc. it might matter less if you decide to bale out, the lost time, training cost and effort you will have put in to become an competent flipper will not be a big loss.

Yeah mate that's what I was thinking, steady Income during these uncertain times, just don't want my kid to barley know me you know, so yeah my plan is to wait out but weighing blmy options for when the time comes.
Some pearls of advice here already, take everything with a grain of salt as there's some cereal wind up merchants.

Civvie Strasse can be a maize to navigate sometimes having been in the Services.

'Being away a bit' will be small beer compared to unemployment down the line.

The grass isn't always greener.

Some pearls of advice here already, take everything with a grain of salt as there's some cereal wind up merchants.

Civvie Strasse can be a maize to navigate sometimes having been in the Services.

'Being away a bit' will be small beer compared to unemployment down the line.

The grass isn't always greener.

How would we identify such people? Pay attention to the way things are spelt?

It would be a promotion and a small step up the social ladder. I can't imagine the shame you guys go through when you have to admit you are ex army.

It's easy to manage, we just think of the horror and shame of those who have to admit the are ex crabs, that makes everything better.

It would be a promotion and a small step up the social ladder. I can't imagine the shame you guys go through when you have to admit you are ex army.
ARMY = Airforce Rejected Me Yesterday (American line but still worth highlighting)

Britreb

Crow
Become a train driver. Lots of ex-Military and Old Bill work for the various tarin companies. Good pay and, if you are that way inclined, you spend most of the time in your own company... driving the train!!

The old saying that education opens doors is as true today as it ever was.

If the army has given you a skill that is transferable to a well paid civvy job, crack on. If it hasn’t you are very unlikely to find a well paid job will just fall in your lap.

So I’d hang on for the pension.

That bit of money coming in every month might just end up as beer money or it might form a vital part of your ability to pay your way.

Either way, you will be happy to have it!