Wanting in!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Lee_, Oct 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Just a quick one really, I'm interested in joining the army (Military Engineer - Heating and Plumbing).

I'm 19 years of age, living in Manchester. I am 5'7 and weigh 13 stone(slightly overweight).

I have had the packs come through with the DVD and application form, just in need of advice of what happens next, how I should prepare myself and what I should expect.

Kind Regards
  2. Well, first and foremost I suggest you work on your fitness. You state that you are slightly overweight so i'm going to assume that you're fairly unfit? Please correct me if im wrong.

The main three fitness tests are as follows (I think)
    - 1.5 mile run, aim for under 10 mins.
    - 44 press ups in two minutes
    - 50(?) situps in two minutes

However, before these tests are done you will do what is known as a BARB test; basically an intelligence test. This decides which jobs are availible to you. It is done on a touch screen computer and the questions are designed to be (imo) stupid, but they do make you think.

Head along to your local AFCO and have a chat.

~ Bordtea
  3. Based on my short time here I would say that what happens next is you get ridiculed in some shape or form.

Forgot to say good luck with things
  4. Bring it on. :)
  5. Thanks for your very quick reply. Just out of interest, what would you suggest being a good way to get fit quick?. I'll try the 1.5Mile run tonight and let you know how I got on.
  6. Try looking up FARTLAK training, but go to a doctor before hand to ensure you are healthy enough to start it.
  7. You'll find nowt useful with FARTLAK - fartlek, however, is a good method of running training. Get some advice from a real person you know - perhaps a local gym, or have a word at the careers office - where you'll go soon for proper advice I hope.
  8. Pedant.

But yes he is correct.
  9. Being a fatty and trying to get into shape again myself, I can tell you there is no quick way!

When trying to lose weight, its your diet that you need to change. Stay off the booze for a couple of months, and eat lots of fruit, veg, fish, pasta and chicken.

If your overweight and you go from little running to lots of running you risk injury eg, shin splints, joint problems. I would hit the rowing machines and bikes (and a little running) until you build up a base fitness and lose a bit of weight, then go for fartlek. If your gym does circuits and/or spinning, sign up to both, your fitness will improve dramatically.

The above is working for me!

Good luck!
  10. From when you sign your application, how long does it take until your starting your training (usually)?.

What is the pay when in training?.
  11. Running wont just shed that fat, you need a good diet above all else and 3/4 days worth of body exercises.
  12. Not fantastic however if your a student or on the dole then fcuking great.
  13. Most soldiers are in the system up to 3 years training before hitting their units depending on their chosen trade (sorry i dont know how long for a plumber)
  14. if your over weight then you wont get to start basic untill you shed a few pounds
    when you go to do your barb test they will measure and way you if your over weight
    then they dont let you do your barb test and tell you to come back when you have lost the weight
  15. Normally takes a couple of months before you begin training, for heating and plumbing:

- Phase 1 at Army Training Regiment Lichfield, Staffordshire, 14 weeks. (Soldiering training)
    - Phase 2 at Royal School of Military Engineering (RSME) in Minley, Surrey (Combat engineer)
    - Phase 3 at RSME Chatham in Kent and lasts for 28 weeks (Heating & Plumbing)

£13,000 per year while in training.