Wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Feb 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

steel door and frame for a gun room, total hole to be filled is 820mm wide and 2010mm high, any help lads, I'm all e bayed and internetted out!

2. Know any old Barracks / airbases being demolished or gutted? The site manager might be willing to do a deal. They were very accommodating in Colly and a crisp tenner secured a Belfast sink, oak window frames and some lead (which was free as I stole it during the night). Might be worth a try.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I may have to go down that road!
    Sadly been no barracks here since the war. I may end up leaving the existing door in and putting a steel grille behind it like the old armoury cage door!

4. Failing that, what about getting one made to spec at a steelworks or similar? Or is that too expensive?

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cost and time, I can get a grille shipped tomorrow for 100 notes and the work done including my existing door shifted for the same amount again!
    I need to get this done quickly after finding that Plod HQ had sat on my RFD application for 4 months and not given me the go ahead to get the work done. Auction season is around the corner and I need to get a lick on!

6. What 5A said, get a fabricator welder on your side, they will tell you exactly what is possible, a 2" angle iron frame with ten good anchors 3 to each side and 2 up 2 down. Welded hinges supporting a 1/2" plate door. I have seen similar blast doors in places I have worked.

If the reveal is deep enough, you can repeat the process in timber and architrave to create a doorframe that fits in with the house.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats a nice idea, steel grill with a wooden door either attached or hinged out wards to reveal the grille hinged inwards!

8. Will have a looky round camp and see if there is anything suitable/adaptable.

You could paint the current door with Hammerite - they're plod; they'll never notice :)

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My builder and I did discuss this option, he has a similar high opinion of them. :p
    I want to get my RFD rolling along so I can shift stuff from my own FAC should I have problems on renewal!

10. Google modular cells and you may find a company able to help, plod are going down this line for their cellblocks and I'm sure the company will have replacement doors that may be appropriate.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thanks I've tried most of them and none of them are narrow enough. Spoke to my FEO about it and he agreed that a good door opening outwards and a bfo security grille opening inwards seemed sensible. Up to the cpo to agree that it would be enough.

12. The downside of having one door opening in and one outwards is that you lose a load of space on both sides.

Would you be able to set up a lightweight timber over-door (hung with heavy duty concealed hinges) in the style of a fridge in a fitted kitchen? It would allow the outer timber door to open "away from the door frame" and then let you at the inner door which could also open outwards.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

space isnt a drama really as the original wooden door opens inwards, the room isnt massive but it works for me!