Wanted - WRAC Handbag!

My squeeze and I have a policy of not buying expensive presents for each other at Xmas and following a conversation about how womens handbags were verboten for male hands to go inside and me mentioning that even though I spent my first four years in a unit with lots of women, I never once peered inside one of those military bags of holding.
She then suggested that I get her one for Christmas (she's female and its a handbag) and after looking around many surplus shop websites in the NW have drawn a blank.
If anyone here has one they would sell, or knows a surplus store that has them, or even if you can point me in the right direction then please let me know.
Aplogies if this is in the wrong place and mods, please feel free to move is required.

Not the WRAC pit of doom you're seeking, but if you come up short and need an idea these folks do a really good Cape buffalo hide satchel. Good thick almost bulletproof leather.

In Sterling terms they're not too pricey and you have a matching overnight bag in buffalo if you really want to score points.

I see they're out of stock. Last I ordered was delayed due to fittings not being available due to the supplier having been burned out and looted by the mobs rioting a couple of months ago. I hear they have stock again and I was informed my order would be ready when I got back home, so worth a try if you don't mind a short delay.

.... nothing to do with your special Thursday dressing up club?

There is a WRAC Association, they may have members who could help, or the dreaded google or ebay...
Re-enactment groups ladies all seem to be nurses...
They must be out there, I remember seeing them at pre-covid militaria sales. (Handbags, not nurses, nurses are mythical).

This one any good? £40 on ebay...

Check the link here...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

All I have to do now is secure a bus full of nurses!

My squeeze and I have a policy of not buying expensive presents for each other at Xmas and following a conversation about how womens handbags were verboten for male hands to go inside and me mentioning that even though I spent my first four years in a unit with lots of women, I never once peered inside one of those military bags of holding.
She then suggested that I get her one for Christmas (she's female and its a handbag) and after looking around many surplus shop websites in the NW have drawn a blank.
If anyone here has one they would sell, or knows a surplus store that has them, or even if you can point me in the right direction then please let me know.
Aplogies if this is in the wrong place and mods, please feel free to move is required.

Keep the WRAC handbag away from any ex Paras of your acquaintance.

A couple of drinks, and they'll take it as a personal challenge to try and shit in it.

*Keep the WRAC handbag away from any ex Paras of your acquaintance.

A couple of drinks, and they'll take it as a personal challenge to try and shit in it.

That is a foul calumny. I refute this accusation with the following anecdote.

One night a modestly sized group of gentlemen of the maroon bereted persuasion were enjoying the delights of Swindon's night time economy. OK, we had been wandering round looking for a decent pub but instead, found ourselves in a soulless 70s built sh*t hole. A bit like an upstairs Globe Trotter, but lacking the ambiance and atmosphere :eek:.

Somewhere along the way we had gathered a couple of local lovelies who tagged on and joined us in the pub. After a while, one of the blokes slips one of the girl's handbags from under the table and disappeared for a few minutes. He quietly returned the bag to its previous location.

A little later, one of the girls declared that she was off to the bar to get her round in. Now the centre of all attention, she delved into the bag...........................

No horror, in fact no reaction. She just located her purse, asked what we wanted, offered round her Polos and her and her mate headed for the bar.

Our 'hero' is, of course, immediately subject to intense questioning along the lines of ,'I thought you'd shit in her handbag?'

His timeless reply, 'I was gonna, but I couldn't squeeze one out........................................... So I just had a w*nk down the hole in her Polos.'

Cue much spitting and 'Ya bastards'.

I leave this here because such tales are as much part of Military History as any handbag or other tatty old bit of kit ;) .

Last edited:
I've got a pair of WRAC knickers. I reckon plenty of male hands have been inside.

There was, at one time, such an item as 'Shoulder Satchel Bottle Green', for the WRAC.
It came about at the time when a ceremonial/walking out dress was introduced- at the same time roughly as men's No1 dress appeared. It was also in 'Bottle Green', close to Rifle Green,
Much was made of the fact in the press that it was designed by one of the big names in the rag trade, Norman Hartnell springs to mind but I can't find any confirmation of that.
It was supposed to be general issue to replace BD but I would guess that when No2 dress for men came in, it ceased to be universally worn - I only ever saw it worn by WRAC MPs. Bandswomen and officer cadets.
Pity it disappeared, it was quite smart and in most cases, did a lot for the wearer.

The colour in the photo below is misleading, it was darker than that, the second pic of the same uniform is more faithful to the colour, my recollection is that it wasn't worn with a tie but the flat 'bow' tie that went under the collar.
Wrac1.png

Wrac2.png

Latest Threads