Wanted - The Story of the 23rd Hussars 1940-1946

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Milweb, Aug 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Written and compiled by members of the Regiment, published April 1946. 277 pages with Honours and Awards, Roll of Honour and Wounded & Prisoners. Various photographs and fold out maps. Also 23rd Hussars war diaries, any material about Operation Bluecoat.

2. Official war diary held at The National Archives. Pricey to get copied.

There is another version (almost as complete) held at The Tank Museum library. This was one of a large number discovered in boxes in the old RACMRO cellars at Chester. These are the second copy which do not always have the full set of attachments. They were going to be thrown out until someone thought about keeping them and thus a very good collection at the museum.

Try searching abebooks.co.uk for the history. I found my copy there.

Oh and all the diaries held by the Tank Museum have been transcribed. It might be worth trying to buy a copy of the transcription.

3. There's a copy going on eBay for £75. Just over 2 days to go.

4. thanks to all who replied

5. In case you didn't find a copy, I have started a page on facebook for the 23rd Hussars and have been slowly adding photos of the pages of the book.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I think after 8 years, he's either found a copy or given up!

7. On the other hand, if he hasn't found a copy this could be the next best thing.

8. Not if you get me to copy them they ain't. I charge 10p per page compared to the National Archives £1 something or other. The Tank Museum does have copies of the diaries but they don't have the appendices that accompany the actual diary pages.

There's six 23 Hussars war diaries at the National Archives covering 1939 to 1945. I already have the three covering 1944 to 1945 so drop me a message if you'd like to obtain copies, if you order the three I don't have I'm sure I could knock a deal together for you.

Cheers and good luck with your research....You can find out more inc feedback on the service I offer by clicking the link below:

Anyone require War Diaries or other files from the National Archives?

9. Actually Drew the diaries at the Tank Museum do have most annexes but not necessarily all.