Wanted: Reputable traders who will send to BFPO

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
I am looking to buy a Sony DCR-DVD403E camcorder. I thought I'd bought one via Amazon, but after five weeks (!) waiting, it turns out the people they work with, Pixmania, do not deliver to BFPO as they are based in France. Barstewards took my money though, and I've just got it back via Amazon (Amazon are fine for delivery, however, and had accepted the Address...)

So, I need someone reputable who will sell electronic toys to a BFPO (VAT-free) address. Any ideas, Arrsers?

Old Snowey I used pixmania once and won't touch them with a bargepole now.

No customer support
No helpful staff
No replies to emails

Quite happy to take my money though !!

polar69 said:
Old Snowey I used pixmania once and won't touch them with a bargepole now.

No customer support
No helpful staff
No replies to emails

Quite happy to take my money though !!
I almost bought a digital slr camera from the tw*ts, shown in uk magazines & search engines as 'full uk spec' When I phoned (08700 number) I was a bit suspicious of the strong frog accent. "Full uk spec"..."yes"......."Is the user's manual in English?"......"No, but eet can be downloaded from ze internet in English".....Frog tw*t.

Apologies for the off topic rant :oops:

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for all the useful tips - I was surprised at how bloody hard it is to find anyone selling VAT-free to BFPO.

By the way, I'm not in Germany, but Iraq, although that doesn't seem to give Amazon any problems - only those knobjockeys at Pixmania. They probably fecked me about for being here in the first place :)

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry, too far from KU - by several hundred K. We don't all get te advantages of Shaibizah :)

I'll try a few more websites, but may have to end up paying VAT (Sob).

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Just an update - and an unsolicited testimonial, as they used to say in adverts many years ago.

MSR kindly found me a good supplier. These people were very friendly, and within 24 hours of my enquiry had amended their website to allow sales specifially to BFPO 663 - I was VERY impressed. They will also send to somewhere that is not the Credit Card Billing Address - something many will not.

These great people are:

Phoenix Computer Systems Ltd
Tel : 0870 3891150
Fax : 0871 4742319
www.phoenix-pcs.co.uk
sales@phoenix-pcs.co.uk

And I can thoroughly recommend them. They were decent to someone in the middle of nowhere, after i was fecked about royally by Amazon, and other suppliers just didn't want to know.

Thanks to MSR for this once more :)

I am sorry but I can't help you with a Sony camcorder but I run the sales for Richer Sounds and we now deliver to all BFPO addresses vat free outside the UK so pass the word on!!!

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
If you're after a PC, Laptop or any of that type of gubbins, try www.dell.co.uk. I've had 2 PCs, a Laptop and a high-spec Pocket PC all from Dell whilst living in Germany. Not VAT paid (they deduct it for you) and prompt service (one PC was delivered to me within a week!)

I would reccommend them anytime.

On the other hand - avoid Boots The Chemist. It took 3 months and lots (and I mean lots) of phone calls to get a delivery sorted out.

edited for missing bits out - oops

..... for good quality watches (tag, omega, breitling etc) try www.blitzwatches.co.uk.

if you phone them, ask for LEE....amazingly wilko company, normally do discount and VAT off...their prices are much cheaper than NAAFI or PRI

Legs said:
If you're after a PC, Laptop or any of that type of gubbins, I've had 2 PCs, a Laptop and a high-spec Pocket PC all from Dell whilst living in Germany. Not VAT paid (they deduct it for you) and prompt service (one PC was delivered to me within a week!)
i second that....dell are very good and used to have a dedicated sales person for BFPO

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
goon_bde said:
Legs said:
If you're after a PC, Laptop or any of that type of gubbins, I've had 2 PCs, a Laptop and a high-spec Pocket PC all from Dell whilst living in Germany. Not VAT paid (they deduct it for you) and prompt service (one PC was delivered to me within a week!)
i second that....dell are very good and used to have a dedicated sales person for BFPO
Still have.

The way it works is -

1. Design your PC on their website.
2. Copy and paste the specs into an e-mail to the BFPO sales team.
3. They reply usually within 24 hours.
4. Confirmation and payment.
5. Sit and wait for 7 - 10 days for delivery.

RicherSounds said:
I am sorry but I can't help you with a Sony camcorder but I run the sales for Richer Sounds and we now deliver to all BFPO addresses vat free outside the UK so pass the word on!!!
Thanks for this. My son's Business Studies GCSE coursework is based on RicherSounds - never heard of you until then, but from what I've read you seem to be an up and coming business - keep the good service up.