Wanted: Real views from the front line

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sunday_Herald, Feb 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At the Sunday Herald newspaper in Scotland we take pride in our coverage of the Iraq war and would like to invite members of the armed forces to view some of the stories on www.sundayherald.com and give us their perspective.

This coming Sunday will be no different, and we'd like to invited forces members who're in southern Iraq or who've been on a tour there to tell us what it is like on the ground, and what they think of Blair's plans for troop withdrawal.

All contributions will be most welcome. You can send them in by either contacting us via the website, by replying to this post or by emailing us direct at website@sundayherald.com
  2. Please see the numerous other threads from journo's looking for a quote.

Response has been poor, don't expect much help, and please don't encourage serving personnel to break QR by talking to the media without approval from the chain of command.

3. This surely is taking the pi ss now, thats about 3 already today.
  4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Is it me, or ar ethere all of a sudden an increase in overt journo fishing trips? I know this have been about a while, but this is what, 3 in 2 days?

At least they are being honest about it now...
  5. Is there something about to happen that the army doesn't know about?
  6. Or something that the Army does know about, has told the Fourth Estate, but hasn't shared with us? Plus ca change.
  7. I would like to see a lot more Journo's heading out to the teeth-end and experiencing first hand and then reporting.
    They are picking up far to much off this website and then quoting it as exclusive.
  8. I would like to see a lot more Journo's heading out to the teeth-end and experiencing first hand and then reporting.
    They are picking up far to much off this website and then quoting it as exclusive.
  9. I must admit, I find the media interest in the prospective drawdown rather surprising. This is the latest of a number of reductions in troop numbers over subsequent TELICS and has been expected for ages - it is not anything particularly monumentous, despite what TB would like it to be. He has puffed it up for his own political ends - moving out of the city and reducing numbers has been on the cards for ages. A non-story - and trying to hype it as a kind of 'beginning of the end' for TELIC is, whilst fun journalistically (or, indeed, politically), not reflecting the real truth.
  10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

You think they are trying to wear us down with weight of numbers?
  11. Mod's , would it be possible to have "journos seeking.... " fourum that these can be moved too ? These lame requests are getting a tad tiresome , gone are the days of reporters doing some legwork for a story eh, I suppose a touch of RSI from the keyboard is better than leaving the comfort and saftey of ones desk and meeting real folk with the real stories, after all anyone could mail in with a When I was in the desert story having never left the country. Now did I tell you when.........

12. Tossers, the lot of them.
  13. What worries me is the confidence that these journos have in ARRSE. How many Pte Walter McMittys are PMing them with shite about how they spent 6 months in an OP with one roll of cling film and a two litre orange squash bottle, sending daily updates in morse to Number 10? Journos, how do you vet the contributions of so-called "squaddie on the ground"?

I think it´s great that they´re now being up front and honest about what they want, but this isn´t a fishing trip, this is Japanese industrial whale hunting.
  14. I think the interest in the Iraq drawdown stems from the media's desire to portray TELIC as Britain's Vietnam. If you look at media reports of the US withdrawal from '70 - '73 the questions and hand-wringing crap about failure and defeat are the same ones that our being perpetrated by our media now.

At least in Vietnam the journos actually got out on the ground and were in the thick of it. There are one or two who have done in Iraq and fair play to them, the rest are just a bunch of manipulators who seemed hell bent on destroying anything decent and good about this country.
  15. Jorrocks & Farmboy

Some wise words from you both.