Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted - left hand drive headlights for VW Golf Mk 4

I am starting a new job in mainland Europe at the end of the summer, so I need to get some left-hand drive headlights for my rather old but still fully roadworthy Golf Mk 4. I remember from my BFG days (RAF Laarbruch) that there was a good trade in second hand headlights, so people newly arrived in Germany could normally buy them, get them fitted, then on returning to the UK remove them and sell them on to someone else.

So, I was wondering if anyone has a set they don't need any more that they are happy to sell to me? If so, please let me know! I would need them by end of July at the latest. Many thanks.

Ex BFG Crab

I always used to be amazed at the anally retentive behavior of the Brits to precisely cut sticky bits of black nasty sheet and glue it on their headlights, or to change the headlights from LH dipping to RH dipping.

When I was plodding I was near to a major distribution hub in the UK, loads of wagons from all over euroland: Froggies; Eddie's Belgie's; Boxheads; Polack's. Never, ever, ever, in a month of NAAFI breaks did I see one of those wagons with anything other than their ordinary headlights. When I saw furriner tourist driving around they too did not have the black nasty on their headlights, nor did any of the fahsunds of Polack immigrant workers on their illegally in the UK longterm, still registered in Poland vehicles.

Did I, or anyone else, ever bother to nick them? No!

Wait till you get to where you are going and pop into a local breakers and grab a set, probably be a damn sight cheaper too.

I always used to be amazed at the anally retentive behavior of the Brits to precisely cut sticky bits of black nasty sheet and glue it on their headlights, or to change the headlights from LH dipping to RH dipping.

When I was plodding I was near to a major distribution hub in the UK, loads of wagons from all over euroland: Froggies; Eddie's Belgie's; Boxheads; Polack's. Never, ever, ever, in a month of NAAFI breaks did I see one of those wagons with anything other than their ordinary headlights. When I saw furriner tourist driving around they too did not have the black nasty on their headlights, nor did any of the fahsunds of Polack immigrant workers on their illegally in the UK longterm, still registered in Poland vehicles.

Did I, or anyone else, ever bother to nick them? No!

Wait till you get to where you are going and pop into a local breakers and grab a set, probably be a damn sight cheaper too.

On the other hand our European brethren have been known to sit outside the ferry terminal, whereupon they take a nosy at your headlamps and of course ask about triangles and high viz jackets.
To the OP, if you get LH lamps
Either have the garage fit them and keep the receipt handy or
If you fit them yourself try and take the RH ones with you in a box.
It saves a lot of trouble if you can show you don't need sticky bits because you have changed lamps.

Edit never happened to me but others have experienced it.
I have however been pulled off the motorway as I was heading to Caen by the Customs bods and had the landrover emptied and searched at the side of the road, fair play they helped me reload.

As I was travelling from the direction of the Pyrenees, they were looking for cheap Spanish / Andorran fags.

Last edited:
Did a favour for my SSGT by driving his gear back to the UK in the PRI van, him in his motor in front, me following. Arrived at Calais and was driving into the port area past the Froggie cuzzers, he goes through, loiters waiting for me, the cuzzers stop me open my door and tell me to open the back up......I see my SSGT look in his mirror and gently but quickly accelerate away. Luckily he had his stuff well hidden, apparently.

Back on thread:

Have a look on boxhead ebay, I just did and it appears that you can buy a set of used Golf Mk 4 headlights for around E70.00 - E100.00. Add probably E30 - E40 postage and the job is sorted. Most boxheads speak and write Inglish so its worth a couple of emails.

Here you go:---> http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-autoteile-reifen/scheinwerfer-golf-4/k0c223

Think continental headlamps dip straight down, hence no requirement for black maskers. As for 'beam converters' - 2 bits of sticky tape with a 'lens' printed on in silver, only £7.99... Someone is making a tidy wedge.

Latest Threads