• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Wanted: Green Berets

Can anyone tell me where/if I can obtain royal Marine berets? (for re-enactment group)

also any good internet links with info and photos?

thanks

Unfortunately not. Because Her Majesty's Corps of Royal Marines are descended from the Duke of Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot, and because of the very special circumstances that surrounded its foundation, an Act of Parliament would be required to allow the replication of their distinguishing "outere vestementes". In effect it's a very old form of copywrite with all the force of feudal monarchy behind it, which means it is impossible to buy, sell, or cause to be hired an RM Green Beret. The only way it is physically/legally possible to get one is to attend the RM Commando Course at CTCRM, Lympestone.
Some re-enactors choose to use US Special Forces Green Berets or Saudi National Guard Green Berets, these can be obtained from the relevant UK Embassies/High Consulates of those counries, prices on application. Afraid I don't have the contact details in the office though.
Good Luck!

ugly

LE
JB said:
Unfortunately not. Because Her Majesty's Corps of Royal Marines are descended from the Duke of Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot, and because of the very special circumstances that surrounded its foundation, an Act of Parliament would be required to allow the replication of their distinguishing "outere vestementes". In effect it's a very old form of copywrite with all the force of feudal monarchy behind it, which means it is impossible to buy, sell, or cause to be hired an RM Green Beret. The only way it is physically/legally possible to get one is to attend the RM Commando Course at CTCRM, Lympestone.
Some re-enactors choose to use US Special Forces Green Berets or Saudi National Guard Green Berets, these can be obtained from the relevant UK Embassies/High Consulates of those counries, prices on application. Afraid I don't have the contact details in the office though.
Good Luck!
Bollocks there are always advertised in online surplus shops.

JB is right. You can actually get a custodial sentence for wearing one in the absence of your 'Entytlement Warrant'. Impersonating a Royal is as illegal as impersonating a police constable.

Early printings of the Sgt. Pepper album cover had George Martin dressed as a RM Major, and the then Director of Royal Marines, Lt. Gen. Barry Humphries, contacted EMI threatening legal action if this wasn't changed. They folded (against the rebellious spirit of the times), and Martin appeared on later editions dressed as an RASC driver (in No. 1's), which is what he had been in National Service.
The early copies are worth about £450 each now, partly because of that incident.

Hmmmmm, I had a feeling this may get an interesting response. I assume you've all heard of ' Airsoft'

Yes I know there's a mixed reaction to it from the forces, but a lot of serving and ex servicemen actually play and have a good laugh doing it.

The re-enactors I'm talking about are in Ukraine, they are all ex mil guys anyway, so know all too well not to wear insignia ect, but I was asked about the berets.

My team in Cornwall, dress as Russian VDV paras..(hence the name!).. and the real Brit Army guys love to come along to games and shoot the crap out of the Red Army! , and the insane laughter from them while they're doing it makes it all worthwhile. :lol:

The replication law is an interesting one and seems to be a bit of a grey area in Airsoft. I can totally understand some people getting pissed off to see the beret and insignia they worked very hard to get being sold to any Tom, Dick or Harry on Ebay though.... :(

Thanks for your info and help.

Kalashnikova said:
The replication law is an interesting one and seems to be a bit of a grey area in Airsoft.
It's actually not, when at the correct settings the only time an airsoft weapon can become illegal is when/where it's used - not the fact it ejects BBs.

The following is an extract of the new legislation but the main aspect which could affect airsoft is in Section 4 as airsoft weapons have the appearance of being a firearm. However the last sentence in paragraph 6 would apply to you.

The Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 said:
2. For a number of years there has been a steady rise in the misuse of
air weapons and imitation firearms. Much of this is criminal damage and
nuisance, often involving young people, but it also includes people who
carry imitation firearms in order to intimidate others. The firearms
provisions in the Anti-social Behaviour Act are intended to tackle these
problems. They also deal with a specific problem concerning air weapons
that use a self-contained gas cartridge system, which are particularly
vulnerable to conversion to fire live ammunition and have become popular
with criminals.

Section 37: Possession of air weapon or imitation firearm in public place

3. This section will come into force on 20 January 2004. It adds to the
list of firearms covered by the offence in section 19 of the Firearms Act
1968 of carrying a firearm in a public place without lawful authority or
reasonable excuse. That offence currently applies to loaded shotguns,
loaded air weapons or any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together
with its ammunition. Subsection 1 of section 37 adds to this unloaded air
weapons and imitation firearms. Subsection 3 adds the offence to the list
of arrestable offences in England and Wales set out in Schedule 1A to the
Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984.

4. An imitation firearm is already defined in section 57(4) of the 1968
Act and covers
anything which has the appearance of being a firearm
whether or not it is capable of discharging a shot, bullet or other
missile.
5. A public place is also defined in section 57(4) of the 1968 Act. It
includes any highway and any other premises or place to which at the
material time the public have or are permitted to have access, whether on
payment or otherwise.

6. There is no statutory definition of a reasonable excuse. This will
depend on the facts and circumstances prevailing at the time and police
officers will need to exercise discretion when deciding what action, if
any, is appropriate in each individual case. It should be borne in mind
that the intention of the offence is to protect the public from the
misuse of firearms and there is no intention of preventing legitimate
activities such as actors using imitations for film or theatrical work or
historical re-enactment.

JB said:
:wink: :lol:

Ho ho, highly satirical!

Steamywindow said:
as illegal as impersonating a police constable
you can dress up as a copper as long as the helmet badge and buttons are fictious, if you wear a Met coppers buttons and badges then you can be done.
Obviously, dressing up and telling everyone youre a copper is the same as dressing up as a gynae doctor and doing house calls, great fun but highly illegal.

Don't worry, we are all well aware of the replica firearm laws, and all weapons are transported to and from the game site within the law. Where we go is a commercial site (not a bunch of teens harrassing the public) We've had Police checks (one of the coppers is going to come along for a game) we don't want morons with replica firearms running around in public any more than the police do.

It's the replication of Military units not firearms I was talking about.

What checks have you had?? You dont need a 'check' to own an airsoft weapon or to play airsoft at legally operated sites.

And i'm not worrying, i was merely pointing out the legislation - should you wish to see it.

The whole pretending to be a capbadge you aren't (not that i'm suggesting that is what you are doing) is clearly covered under the term 'walt'.

manchestercop said:
What checks have you had?? You dont need a 'check' to own an airsoft weapon or to play airsoft at legally operated sites.

Not the players, the site where I play had a police check, for insurance and because it's possible for under 18 year olds to play, we had to have a child protection officer nominated.

manchestercop said:
The whole pretending to be a capbadge you aren't (not that i'm suggesting that is what you are doing) is clearly covered under the term 'walt'.
Yeah, I can fully appreciate that, My British kit doesn't have any insignia on it apart from a union jack. .... what's a walt? or shouldn't i ask......

Kalashnikova said:
Yeah, I can fully appreciate that, My British kit doesn't have any insignia on it apart from a union jack. .... what's a walt? or shouldn't i ask......
Don't ask, don't tell. A wink is as good as a nod and all that...

:lol: ooooo classified intel huh! I'll have to extract it from one of the soldiers at the next meet, using my rubber bayonet of course!

rubber bayonet ........ wannabe weapon..... but a whole load of fun, :p

Latest Threads