Wanted: cover, cheese possessed, plastic, qty 2.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Swamp_Rat, Aug 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Out here in the swamp it would be great to have one of them plastic covers issued with the ration pack for covering the tin of cheese possessed after opening.

Then I could cover the tin of evap or condensed milk and leave it out on the counter top instead of the fridge.

If you have a couple of these spare please let me know if you are open to a trade.

Thanks in advance.

2. Do you really STILL have cheese possessed :? :? :? 8O 8O 8O :roll: :roll: :roll:

In the name of God, WHY :? Thought they would have got the idea and binned that ages ago as it was pretty disgusting muck unless they've changed things a bit.

Mind you S-R, I can see your point re the placky covers... Hey, if nobody has any, perhaps you can fashion one from a lump of that said CP. After all, it was/is kind of plastic in itself innit?

Just a thought...

3. I can't remember what size the tins of CP were, but if they were the same diameter as a normal tin can, get yourself to a pet shop as they sell plastic covers for pet food tins. Alternatively, PM me an address and I'll send you one as I'm sure I've got a couple of spare ones knocking about.

Tubs

4. What the buggery fcuk are you using condensed milk for?
    Baileys comes with a screw cap!

TTFN

BFG

5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Is a Pringles tube cover the same size? They're just ideal for covering tins of cat food. (for my cat)

6. Thanks for your erudite replies.

Spike: A pringles lid can work but doesn't last long because of the quality; the ants find their way in eventually.

BFG: I put condensed milk on rice pudding, 'ye canny whack it'. and my missus makes her own Baileys, she calls it 'rum popo', the basic ingredients are condensed milk, ground nutmeg, egg yolk and rrrummm :) trouble is, by the time I've finished checking if she has the flavour right, most of it is gone.

Tubs: I'll pm you in a bit, cheers mucker. The only lid I have is on a cp tin with 'sand from Iraq' scratched on the side. I checked the lid for fit and it's perfect for the tin size we get here.

Oppo: I want the lids so's I can cover the tin and leave it out, otherwise if the condensed milk is kept in the fridge it goes too stiff to pour out of the tin and the user has to invert the tin and blow through one hole while pouring and guide it over said rice/oats/wodeva. Blowbacks can get rough and it's a tw@t fighting off the flies whilst trying to eat.

If someone sold these lids they would go a bomb here. Some people living out in the bush would really benefit from it.

Thanks again, back to 'waiting for Dean'.

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Swampy,
    Just a thought,you can get better quality plastic lids from pet stores.OK,So they are designed for pet food but...

8. What's the exact diameter of the tins you want to seal?

We get tins of paté in our rations which have plastic lids for use after they are opened. I'll have a look and see if I've got any of them lying around.

T_T

9. Try the lid off a can of hob nobs mate.....We use it for tins of dog food. It isn't airtight but does the job.........Mmmmmm adapting and overcoming :D

10. I'll go and have a measure...

11. Exactly 75mm diameter across the rim of the tin.

12. Jeezus fella, that measurement took 3 hours :D

The hob nob top should work, it's a little over that ( damnit, revealed i'm a spotter !!)

13. Ours are the same size, but unfortunately even though I have a few boxes of rations in my cupboard none of then have the plastic cover.

Sorry.

T_T

14. Once opened, wet food (or condensed milk ..... or whatever) should not be kept in the tin. The contents should be stored in an airtight container, made of plastic, glass, pottery .... or suchlike. I think it is due to the tin rusting when opened and contaminating the food. (But it's OK for catfood.) Why don't you use Tupperware or similar?

15. Could you not try a plastic bag with a clip of some kind to make air tight