Wanted - Colocation (rack space) for ARRSE

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Feb 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'm looking for a new home for ARRSE. My ideal is a company or hosting company who would give us rack space for 3 servers and a firewall in exchange for a prominent "ARRSE hosted by..." and logo on the front page.

All ideas and offers welcome!
  2. Hmmmm Rackspace.co.uk spring to mind, they have been awesome to work with in the past, though they might be abit commercial for your needs.

Out of interest how big is this stuff? 3U of servers + 1U firewall?

Also there is the weycrest.co.uk but not entirely sure how good they are and how long they are going to be around for.

3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Each one about 3 inches high, by 3ft deep by 2ft wide . Thanks for the recommendation - I'll give them a call.
  4. You mean I could manpack the whole of the ARRSE world around with me and still have room for butties and a flask?

My little world has never felt, well....so little :D
  5. GoodCO

The servers are a 3u size, I have been in contact with Keconnect who I resell for, I have emailed them your requirements. Who do you use at the moment for colocation and ae they UK based or USA based?

6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Hi Stilts,

They're UK based and regarding the size, I would have to check to be sure. I have one with me ready for the first step in a move, but have never seen the others, although I think they're the same.

At the moment we use Merula, but I have had quite a bad experience with them over the past months and I think it's time to go our separate ways,

Thanks for the help.
  7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

We have 2 x 1U
    1 x 2U

plus firewall TBC
  8. PRIORITY MESSAGE: Avoid any outfit that has any connection, no matter how tangential, with Pipex.

(And if you do get free hosting just for the price of an "Arrse hosted by ..." puff, let us know!)
  9. Does this mean that ARRSE will be going offline for a while, while you move to a new home?

DON'T PANIC!!!
  10. GCO,

I am wearing a big pair of rubber underpants..... there is plenty of storage space in them your gizmo sprocket things, however you have to locate and install them yourself?

(go on, they're clean on today?)

11. What about a mirror out east?
  12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I just got a surprisingly expensive quote from a company in London, 4D Internet, perhaps I'll forgive Merula after all!
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Middle East has a fast growing and competitive hosting infrastructure:

Would be a progressive and somewhat provocative move to have Al Jazeera as a site sponsor......
  14. Please check your PMs