Wanted - Android App Tester

We have an Android app waiting in the wings and I'm looking for a volunteer tester - someone who uses more than the basic ARRSE features.<br><br><br>

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'll give it a go if you want? Android on HTC and am currently on Tapatalk which I use for moderating on the go and such.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm up for it too, noting now you've altered the site my android wont let me see the full site, even your full site link doesn't work.

I'm up for it too, noting now you've altered the site my android wont let me see the full site, even your full site link doesn't work.
Yup, were aware of that and GCO is working on it.

In the meantime if you log out the it will (should) allow you to change back to the full site ...... honest!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If you are also looking for someone who is an absolute 'pooter biff to see if the app is ARRSEer proof :) I'm yer man!

I'm pretty crap when it comes to apps, generally that's why my phone send notifications at 2am as I forgot to try to turn those bits off.
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Ace. Froyo 2.2 (migth be 2.1 though, I can check somehow).

Plus it'll really help the spelling in my posts go up the creek (it's prety lame at the mintue) becuase I use swype and there's nothing like swype to say what you really didn't mean to!

Wil you be able to pay through paypal for the app? I just have never paid for an app in 8 months I've had my phone, but an Arrse one I WOULD.

Thanks for all the replies and I apologise for being so slow in coming back to you. Instead of a load of PMs and app emailing, here it is for all to try:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/olive_scripts/arrse.apk

You will have to tell your android device to allow applications from outside the Market to install this. On my HTC Desire, you install HTC Sync on your PC, plug your phone into the USB cable, then on the PC just double click on the file above to install it on the phone.

This is an app from the makers of the ARRSE software, the well respected VBulletin, which is then ARRSE branded and made to work specifically with this site. I add that so that you know it's not some dodgy cheapo software that will kill your phone or steal your secrets.

Any problems and comments here please.

Thanks Boss. Loaded up a treat, nice easy login seems the business. Will have a serious play over the hols and try to destroy it.

I'll give it a go. Android HTC Desire HD. Only use basic features on the phone, as everything is a bit tricky. It needs an app.

Use my phone for stuff more and more these days as most paces I go have good wi-fi or 3G signals

I'm new to smartphones and still figuring out how my HTC works, so I have question about this app. When I try to install it, it asks my permission to allow the app to access my location, internet access, allow it to change or remove stuff from my SD card and allow it to read my phone status en phone identity.

It may be the agressive red font of these messages, but I'm not sure what I agree to if I install this application. I guess the "remove stuff from my SD card" may refer to cookies being (un)installed, but I don't understand what the other permissions are for. Any help gladly appreciated!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not getting any joy with the Nexus One, HTC Sync doesn't recognise the phone.

Re the permissions, well questioned. We certainly need to be able to justify what it can and can't do, to reassure the more careful app user.

The SD card bit seems pretty logical. If it caches on the SD card for example it will have to be able to delete cached files again otherwise your card would overflow. Internet access is also clearly essential for an app that.... needs to access the internet, in this case ARRSE. What surprises me though is the 'location' part. I'll look into it.

Edit: location is in there for the location based adverts system that is optional for us when setting up the app. We're not using adverts but the overall app permission request is still there.

Not getting any joy with the Nexus One, HTC Sync doesn't recognise the phone.
not something I can help with, but I wouldn't bust a gut on Nexus One help forums - just wait till we release the app in the Android Market. Thanks for trying though.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Re the permissions, well questioned. We certainly need to be able to justify what it can and can't do, to reassure the more careful app user.

The SD card bit seems pretty logical. If it caches on the SD card for example it will have to be able to delete cached files again otherwise your card would overflow. Internet access is also clearly essential for an app that.... needs to access the internet, in this case ARRSE. What surprises me though is the 'location' part. I'll look into it.
I think it's fairly standard end user agreement Boss. Certainly, I've had to agree to similar to install stuff as innocuous as Facebook and even Lothian Buses (!)

Have downloaded the app and at first look it's certainly more appealing visually than Tapatalk but moderation doesn't seem as intuitive but I've only had it installed for about ten minutes and will play about with it over the next few days and post any problems.