Wanted .17HMR Rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by pull.it.in, Jan 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With Mod and scope. Please PM with details/price/ photos if possible.
    Regards in Shooting..
  2. Have you tried Guntrader.co.uk?
  3. PM Ugly, I think he has one for sale
  4. Beats me why anyone would want to buy one of these anyway...!

If you want something in that energy range, why buy a rimfire? I would think that the .17HMR will go down the route of all non .22RF calibres with the ammunition manufacturers losing interest once their current set of forming dies wear out..

If you MUST have a sub .22 laser beam rifle, I would go for something based on a .22 Hornet case or one of the "short fat" varients of the PPC family. Even if you go for wildcat, providing it is centrefire, you can keep shooting it into the future..

Remember, a rifle without ammuniton is just an expensive lump of metal...!
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I doubt HMR will die a death, more likely to see WMR go first. Its good cartridge and yes I can get new Savage in Right Hand for less than CZ.
    Its too far widely usednow and a fair few plods are askingpest shooters to use this over .22rf. Its only a matter f time before the .22RF becomes the minority cartridge. The problem I see with such smll bores is splitting case necks whick indicates brass not correctly annealed before forming/necking down and possible differences in chamber tolerances. That said as you dont reload it its a minor issue.
  6. Oh agreed...

I just find it a bit of a pity that both WMR and HMR rifles will be useless in the future.. If you consider rifles as a "use for a bit & throw away" consumer item then fine..

I am in the process of reproducing the .297/.230 Morris Long to breathe life into a 1910 Francotte miniature rifle (which is a little gem of the gunmaker's art). I would suggest that you will not be able to do this in a 100 years time with your Savage or CZ .17HMR! I can't see anyone necking down .22RF cases - can you?

Mind you, I suspect that .17 barrels will not last much more than a few thousand rounds...

As to predictions of the demise of the .22RF - they keep saying the same thing about the QWERTY keyboard...!
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well according to predictons about every 10 years or so Rimfire has long had its day. I suspect that many of these will get rebarrelled eventually. I m in the process of searching for .17 barrels for my Martinis. I'm looking to make pest control pistols out of about 3 I have and as they are nothing special I cant say they will be missed. That said I intend to make the changes reversbile should the values ever increase!
  8. Shhhh, didn't ask for opinions.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I had a .22Boz once or at least the inert round. No idea where it is now. Now that was a aghort fat barrel burner. You could always go down the fireball route as well but chambering wont be cheap!
  10. ...well, I would call it advice 8)

If you really MUST have one of these then look here: guntrader.co.uk: Gun Search

There were around 392 .17HMRs for sale this morning! (So everyone must love them...!)

Nehmen Sie Ihre Auswahl!
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

A fair few of those ads are new and from RFDs flogging stock. I know I had one in there for ages. I have just donated the one to my youngest son as the left handed git who ordered it changed his mind. Nice xmas pressie for the nipper.