Want to vote? Youll need your NI, adress, DoB & Signature.

CQMS said:
A solution may be to roll out biometric registration for postal/proxy voting for those without any obvious reason to not turn up in person. People should be encouraged to turn out in an election.
Erm, to be quite honest, I'd regard this as much more likely to cause someone NOT to register to vote. Hell, I won't be. Not that I can vote this election mind you. Labour gets in.. well, i'm off abroad, or I'll begin the revolution. :twisted:

We've got a horrendous voter turnout nationally, this would hardly improve it to be quite honest. Plus, if you bear in mind the last.. 4 cases of mass government data being lost? Good lord, we had enough trouble over the child tax credit one.

Personally, I see this as the encroach of a database state - *tinfoil hat on* - and we're rather blindly letting it happen. Not a good road to go down, in my belief. I'm also rather concerned about whose got access to this database as well. Remind me again how many police officers got disciplined for looking people up on the national register without authorisation?

elovabloke

ADC
lsquared said:
PS: Postal Voting is an invitation to cheat and to commit a criminal offence.

Postal Voting MUST be discontinued in the best interests of democracy and honesty.
So we are going to take a step back and stop service personnel and there families from voting themselves.

lsquared said:
...Postal Voting is an invitation to cheat and to commit a criminal offence.

Postal Voting MUST be discontinued in the best interests of democracy and honesty.
In other words. sod the armed forces?

hackle said:
lsquared said:
...Postal Voting is an invitation to cheat and to commit a criminal offence.

In other words. sod the armed forces?
Well, they've pretty much been flipping the bird since they came INTO power, have they not? :?

I wonder if proxy voters will also have to go through this extensive belt and whistle check before they are allowed to cast votes for whoever they are proxy too? With the 45,000+ military and partners serving overseas being advised to appoint proxy’s because postal votes are so unreliable…. there has to be a better way

Fighting for the rights of soldiers/sailors/airmen
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ServiceVotes/

elovabloke

ADC
It also sounds a bit like an electronic ID system.

ID Cards - the public says no - well lets get them another way then.

elovabloke said:
lsquared said:

So we are going to take a step back and stop service personnel and there families from voting themselves.
Good point - well made! Ditto to 'Hackle'.

Maybe I am displaying both my age and my ignorance, but I recall 'proxy votes' were available to Service personnel and their eligible families.

The total number of Service personnel and their families, and other personnel unable to vote in person is limited and the necessary validation procedures could be quite easily arranged.

I spent one year recently dealing with applications for postal votes at the 'sub electoral registration level' - (a political party offering the service to constituents of presenting their applications to the appropriate local authority). The levels of 'trying it on' had to be seen to be believed. The experience left me convinced that the system is, and I repeat, an invitation to cheat and commit electoral fraud.

lsquared, thanks, and I am happy to confirm that proxy voting is still available to service personnel and their partners. The problem is that not everyone has somebody back home who is able either to get to the polling station or to set up their own postal vote, whom they can trust to carry out their instructions and whom they don't mind knowing their electoral choice. Proxy voting is absolutely fine for many, but not for a significant number of armed forces personnel.

lsquared said:
elovabloke said:
lsquared said:

Maybe I am displaying both my age and my ignorance, but I recall 'proxy votes' were available to Service personnel and their eligible families.
Your memory serves you well. Proxy votes are still there. It is quite shocking to Americans, Canadians, French, German, Danish, etc. that their fellow Brit soldiers are advised by their institutions to vote through a third party.
There are lots of problems with the electoral system. Not being able to exercise your democratic right have a secret vote because you happen to be in Afghanistan, Cyprus, in fact almost anywhere overseas, is one of them.

I was more concerned by a situation at the most recent Euro/Council Elections. On presenting myself at the Polling Station with my registration card (which was hardly necessary as the Officials knew me - personal recognition is, after all, the best security) I was required to sign for my ballot papers.

This was not in itself worrying. What did raise eyebrows was that I had to sign next to the number of the ballot paper I was issued. Therefore there is a link between my name & how I voted.

I was that desperate to do my bit giving the Labour Party a bloody nose that I put aside my objections to this breach of the secrecy of the ballot. I was not happy about it. despite the scrutineers' assurance that their signed list & the papers would never be reconciled.

I am interested in the posts made since my rather 'mongish - one cap fits all' post earlier.

The Chartists asked for voting secrecy as one of their requirements. Incidentally they also asked for 'equal constituencies' - meaning approximately the same number of electors in each constituency. This has NOT happened and currently the constituencies heavily favour the Labour Party - no surprise after 13 years in power.

A glance at a constituency map focussing on the North East and North West of England will illustrate precisely the imbalance.

Doh! Back on thread and 'CaptainPlume's' problem. I was the first to vote at 'my' Polling Station (thanks RHQ & LAD 31 Signals Regiment). I cannot recall signing for my ballot paper - more 'mongness'. I am astonished that this happened, but - a big but, if the practice helps to prevent fraud so be it. Additionally, the correlation 'twixt the ballot paper number and the completed ballot paper would entail a gigantic effort and resources for such a task are simply not available in town halls I know.

I am now referring this matter to my MP - all PERSEC adhered to - and let her ferret about. In the words of General MacArtur: I shall return.

lsquared said:
Doh! Back on thread and 'CaptainPlume's' problem. I was the first to vote at 'my' Polling Station (thanks RHQ & LAD 31 Signals Regiment). I cannot recall signing for my ballot paper - more 'mongness'. I am astonished that this happened, but - a big but, if the practice helps to prevent fraud so be it.
This could just as easily have been achieved by checking my identity, crossing me off a list of registered voters or asking me to sign for the paper & issuing me the next ballot form.

There was no need to make me sign for a specific paper & my identity was not checked at all beyond the fact that I had a polling card (albeit that the scrutineers or whatever they're called had known me since birth...)

lsquared said:
Additionally, the correlation 'twixt the ballot paper number and the completed ballot paper would entail a gigantic effort and resources for such a task are simply not available in town halls I know.
Believe me if they wanted to they would. Besides it is the principle that counts!

lsquared said:
I am now referring this matter to my MP - all PERSEC adhered to - and let her ferret about. In the words of General MacArtur: I shall return.
Interested to hear what happens, but I don't hold my breath for anything more than your being fobbed off...

elovabloke

ADC
Question:

Hackle/votes4all. Disregarding proxy, on the postal side and having your home base in UK, does a member of the services automatically vote in the constituency of his base and conversely if your home base is abroad can you choose a constituency or is it your home town (which would have buggered me as I didn't have one)?

The only use of a biometrics should be after you have voted, to prevent vote early, vote often scams.

Before getting ballot paper, give unregistered thumbprint to register in system as having voted.

If anyone tries to vote again, the registered thumbprint will stop them doing so.

When ballot boxes are sealed, thumbprint data is deleted/destroyed.

elovabloke said:
Question:

Hackle/votes4all. Disregarding proxy, on the postal side and having your home base in UK, does a member of the services automatically vote in the constituency of his base and conversely if your home base is abroad can you choose a constituency or is it your home town (which would have buggered me as I didn't have one)?
ISTR one can register to vote anywhere. There was a big campaign for all servicemen to register in Blair's constituency & vote him out.

I think that was in the election when the rules on automatic registration at the place where one serves (unless opting out) were changed but this was publicised too late for service people to do so, hence a lot of us were disenfranchised.

elovabloke said:
Question:

Good question: Answer is from the Service Voter Registration Form.
If your home base is in UK you can register at the address where you are currently living. Alternately you can register at a UK address where you would be living if you were not in the Armed Forces. If you cannot say where you would be living, give your last UK address before you took up post.

If that does not answer the question phone the Electoral Office where you think you may be eligible to vote. To find that, go to aboutmyvote.co.uk, type in postcode, you get a link to the local authority with contact details. Don’t be afraid to phone, they are usually very helpful. Hope this helps.

Fighting for the rights of soldiers/sailors/airmen

So basically can you pick and choose any constituency you want to vote in or can the local Electoral Office refuse to register you if you can not prove a link with them? I am not sure how you could prove that their constituency is where you would be living if you were not in the Armed Forces.

walt_of_the_walts said:
The only use of a biometrics should be after you have voted, to prevent vote early, vote often scams.

Before getting ballot paper, give unregistered thumbprint to register in system as having voted.

If anyone tries to vote again, the registered thumbprint will stop them doing so.

When ballot boxes are sealed, thumbprint data is deleted/destroyed.
Nice idea, but it wouldn't work - there was the leaked police memo with orders of trying to get as many people convicted/arrested for minor crimes to get them onto the database. It'd surely get linked in, not deleted.

putteesinmyhands said:
So, in each polling station, a laptop with fingerprint recognition software, a memory stick containing the fingerprint details of that station's electorate and a scanner.

And something similar used by a "Visiting Official" for the housebound and those in hospital etc. (Can somebody loan me a tree to hug, please).
Right....so someone has to sign for a stick containing secure data that the loss of could result in a £500k fine from the ICO for losing data that may lead to a security breach....which are the new powers the ICO has got from April this year.

And you think volunters are going to queue up for this..?