Want to join Engineering regiment...no Engineer regiments nearby

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by The Aviator, Jul 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Alright fellas.

    I'm looking to join the Royal Engineers T.A unit but unfortunately there is only one engineering regiment that is near me (and thats still quite a stretch to get to).

    The problem is that particular engineering regiment focuses on bomb disposal (I was looking to get into vehicle engineering).

    Do other TA centres also offer engineering or do they only offer what they specialise in?

    Sorry for not being very clear.

  2. Vehicle engineering Or Vehicle Mechanic ?

    Veh Mechs are REME.
  3. You are a bit all over the place with your "engineering regiment" malarky but I get the gist.

    I think you will find that the soldiers that tinker with motor vehicles are members of REME. (Royal Mechanical and Electrical Engineers.) Nothing to do tradewise with RE. (Royal Engineers.)

    Basic REME. (very basic) If you want to fix tanks you would be an "A" Mech. If you wanted to fix lorries you would be a "B" Mech. Thats "mech" as in mechanic, not an engineer.
  4. Ah sorry guys.

    I thought that you could get into Aeronautical engineering through the T.A?
  5. Mr_Fingerz

    Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

    You could always try the crabs.....

    Failing that, look at a REME batt that support AAC.
  6. Don't all T.A. units have REME attatched anymore?
  7. Could somebody please confirm whether or not this is true?

    Thanks for all the help guys.
  8. Here's a stretch... why don't you call and ask your local unit?

    I know that most infantry have a REME unit at HQ. Doesn't mean that all have though.