Want to join at 16

I am 15 years old and will be turning 16 in a month. All I want to do is join the British military. I am from the Republic of Ireland so does anyone know that would work?
Would I go to Northern Ireland or would I have to go to England? As an irish 16 year old would I be with others like myself?

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't think there are any training establishments in N. Ireland. You may qualify for Army Foundation College Harrogate if you get a move on. There are army training centres at Catterick, Pirbright and Winchester.

I got into the R.Sigs as a 15 1/2 year old. Went to Harrogate at 16 . Spent 2 1/2 years there becoming a Technician.

Then spent 24 years in the R.Sigs, I was lucky , great times, many others were stuck in the "normal" Signals. Sorry to say many did not enjoy it .

Mind this was 30/40 years ago , I am sure the Corps ( for a valid reason) has changed for the better.

Try School, Uni and then think about it.

As I said I was very lucky, got good posts, good jobs, good skives, spent more time on holiday than working.

Why won't you finish school first, get some education- than maybe join (what for btw?).
When you are older it's harder to acquire more skills, to finish education or even a trade.

I am 15 years old and will be turning 16 in a month. All I want to do is join the British military. I am from the Republic of Ireland so does anyone know that would work?
Would I go to Northern Ireland or would I have to go to England? As an irish 16 year old would I be with others like myself?
I am pleased to see that the advice being given to you is to wait a bit. The British Army will still be around in a couple of years and will survive your absence, meanwhile those two (four?) years could give you all sorts of academic/vocational opportunities that will stand you in great stead both in service and in later years.

Don't rush in lad, there's time enough yet.

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Mate I have gone back to 1970 with your post.
Finish school get a crap job and you will enjoy Army life more

Honestly, don’t see myself doing anything other than joining the military. They do apprenticeships in the army would one of them not be better than finishing school

I am currently 17 going on 18, about to do my Leaving cert. I would reccomend you finish your Leaving Cert before going over, as I am not entirely sure if the Junior Cert Results mean much in England in comparison to over here. I am going into training soon from the Republic myself right after my Leaving. Personally I would say give it some thought and stay and finish your leaving cert before putting the full effort in, you need something to fall back on just incase.

I went through harrogate 5 years ago, which is where you would go. We had a few lads from the republic but there isn't many.

If you're going to do it, GET A TRADE least you'll be sorted for when you leave, be it 4 or 24 years time.

You will mostly be on the British mainland (I'm not sure how they work it with ROI based in NI) but flights are cheap enough back to the ROI.

I joined IJLB at 16 then spent the next 10yrs in a Lt Div Bn.

I joined at Easter, so didn't take any exams. That decision has hounded me ever since, because, despite my profession, I find myself on the back foot at interviews etc.

Now, here's the thing. I get around that because I'm now in my late 50's and I say that I didn't take my exams because I joined the army instead. That sort of works, and people tend to recognize why I did what I did.

Being from the RoI, are you honestly going to declare at interview, that you bailed out of finishing school, because you wanted to join the British Army?

And what happens if you're not up to the job or get injured. You'll end up back in RoI, and pleading your case to people who may be aggressively against you.

Finish your education, then apply as an adult soldier. At least then, you'll have a plan 'B' if it all goes pear-shaped.

And please, please, please don't think you're above failure. There are some really talented people who don't cut the mustard for any number of reasons, so irrespective of how you view your own ability, shit happens, so you need a plan 'B'.

Last edited: