Want to import stuff from Septicland?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by naguere, Feb 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What happens about the import taxes?

2. What happens is our friendly Excise boys will go through every item with a fine tooth comb in one hand and a calculator in the other and present it to you complete with a bill for unpaid duty.

Edit for mongtype

3. As far as I can see, your goods are repackaged and posted to you as a gift, thereby circumventing taxes.

I get stuff posted to my Cousin who lives in Septicland, in 20 years I have never had a problem.

4. Rules now include gifts as well - changed a few months ago.
    Sorry chaps, but there is no way to legitimately avoid Excise Duty.
    Just not worth the hassle.

Obviously, this is me as a private citizen, not official guidance. Although I think the official line would be pretty close

5. It's not just duty that's a problem. You will find that many companies will not ship to an address that is different to your credit card billing address. On top of that, many US companies that do not ship overseas in the first place will not accept a non US addressed CC in the first place.

6. If you look at the FAQ you will see you are asked to telephone your card provider and get that address put on to your card.
    Got my aged Aunt on my card for the same reason.

If rules on gifts have recently changed it is a dead duck.
    I will find out.

7. Oooh, maybe its time to import that Gibson Les Paul Custom i've always dreamed of... and at rock bottom USA prices!

Edited to add: surely the point of this is that paying import duty and VAT on a low USA price is still cheaper than buying the same item in rip-off Britain.

TB

8. So I'll not be allowed to import Silver and Gold Coins then?

9. Or toilet water apparently 8O

10. What if I dress up as a pirate when I go through customs?

11. O sure, sit there in your holier than thou Tax Office dishing out tax regulations to the poor unwashed masses.

Revolt people revolt.

p.s. TT any tips on evading the tax twots in Canada, I have a bank account full of undeclared income and the wife's not upto claiming it's hers and spending 10 years in the pokey for me. :x Didn't mind spending it though. :roll:

12. Fek... me thinks I'd better call our accountants... we buy quite a lot of software (via download) from a company in Canada... crossing fingers and living in hope... whilst considering dressing as a pirate.