Want to help

Discussion in 'ARRSEpedia' started by Bad CO, May 17, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

If you want to help us with the wiki then why not have a look at the following:

1. Add some content to the short pages

2. Create some new pages - here is the list of those wanted

3. Add some links to the Dead End pages

Don't know how to do any of this ....... then just have a go on those links above and start clicking.

2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Some others ....

4. Add to some links to the current list of orphaned pages

5. See if you could improve the structure with headers, bullets, etc of the Long Pages.

3. A reminder to all those who want to make it into Disco's list of Top 10 Wiki Maniacs!

The above posts show where the vast majority of work still rests within the Wiki. You do not have to be a guru, but every little helps!

Thanks to all those who have contributed, the Wiki is looking very healthy and has found me rolling on the floor laughing on many occasions. Please, take the time to look around and help out our cause.

Ghost

4. 1. Add some content to the short pages

2. Create some new pages - here is the list of those wanted

3. Add some links to the Dead End pages

4. Add to some links to the current list of orphaned pages

5. See if you could improve the structure with headers, bullets, etc of the Long Pages

Don't know how to do any of this ....... then just have a go on those links above and start clicking.

Bump to get this back up - the more of us on the wiki adding and developing, the faster we'll spot the spam attackers and be able to deal with it and the better the wiki will be anyway.

5. Some people (Abacus) may notice that I have done a rather large (if not entirely necessary or indeed notable) number of additions to Arrsepedia.
    I seem to be suffering from a mild spat of insomnia, so thought that what better way to try to get to sleep is there than adding links to the 500+ dead-end pages in the Arrsepedia? Needless to say I haven't got anywhere near that amount, or fallen asleep. I could spend this time adding humourous anecdotes to the Arrsepedia, but I'm not funny.

6. I've just noticed that Rowums has contributed a rather large and welcome number of additions to ARRSEPedia. :D

Cheers Rowums.

7. I've been trying to get rid of some of the wanted Pages (help please people, there's loads) and just noticed the other 'categories'.

Short and Long Pages are self-explnatory.

But what are Dead-end Pages and what are Orphaned Pages?

8. Dead end-pages, don't contain links to any other pages and are therefore dead-ends to an Arrsepedia navigator.
    Orphaned pages stumped me for a while, they are pages that have no links from other pages to them.

9. Cheers Rowums.

Also worrying to note how high MDN and Dale the Dullard are on the list of most popular Wiki Pages. :D

How do you see who adds the most to the wiki?

10. In order to rectify a dead-end page, you need to add a link (or multiple links) to other ARRSEpedia entries. This usually occurs when relatively new contributors post information without adding [[ ]] around text which would link to other articles - therefore a fairly simple task of editing each page and bracketing the appropriate text.

Orphaned pages are another matter. Some may simply be pages which were created from scratch, with the intention of linking to other pages, but forgotten about. Others occur when the original page from which the link was created has been edited or deleted. If you have the time to sit and explore the orphaned pages, great. It generally means, though, looking at the orphaned page, understanding where a link could be made and then finding appropriate page/pages from which to insert a link. The text search facility is most useful for this purpose!!

Anyway, thanks as always to those who are spending time in the ARRSEpedia. It really does make a difference.

Ghost