Want to Be Notified Whenever a New Thread is Posted in A Forum?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Bad CO, Nov 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Lets say you want to be notified whenever a new thread is posted in the Photography, Police or Infantry forums you can do this using the 'Subscribe to Forum' feature.

The first thing you need to do is make sure that you've got your Subscription Control set up to whatever you want. This can be done through your General Settings page:

Having done that, navigate to the forum (Infantry, Police, etc) that you want and then use the 'Forum Tools' menu item on the grey bar to the top right (see image). You can then simply 'Subscribe to Forum'

2. Boldnotold

Boldnotold LE Book Reviewer

There may be a problem with this feature, BCO. I've been trying for a few days now, and only get the option to 'View Parent Forum'. This is an improvement on the result since Thursday, when I just got the word 'javascript' appearing in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  3. Bad CO

Thanks for reporting this, it would be useful to know what OS & browser you are using. If possible, a screenshot of the problem occurring would also be great.
  4. Boldnotold

Haha. Screen shot! If it's not COBOL/IMS you have no hope!

This laptop uses XP Professional and IE 6.

Give me a minute to try it on my desktop.

Update : The desktop uses XP and IE6 too. When hovering over the arrow next to 'Forum Tools', nothing happens and 'javascript://' appears in the line at the bottom of the screen, where it usually tells you what's loading. Instead of the Explorer logo there's a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the corner.
  5. Bad CO

6. Boldnotold

tbh I have no choice on the lappy as it's owned by work. My desktop, being about six years old, is due for replacement, along with its OS and Browser. Fear of the impact of change is holding me back! That and the plethora of choices around!
  7. Boldnotold

Don't know whether you did anything, BCO, but a close look this afternoon revealed a list of options horizontally across the screen, hidden behind the popup advert at the top. Careful mouse action means I have now subscribed to the Forum.

Possibly a formatting problem, but odd that it works OK on Thread Subscriptions.
  8. Bad CO

Making this sort of thing work across multiple browsers is such a pain in the ARRSE and IE 6 is by far the worst offender which is why it is loathed by all web developers - check out NoMoreIE6.com. I've got to be honest and say that the effort involved in fixing something that is relatively minor like this just isn't worth it ..... sorry

Glad that you managed to fix it though and pse upgrade to Chrome, FF or IE 9 as soon as you can! I know that the laptop isn't an option but I bet Chrome will run very well on your desktop ......
  9. Boldnotold

Quite understand re minor fixing, BCO. We use that excuse all the time at work (actually we 'only guarantee our software to work in IE6' - how very modern).

Offspring keeps telling me to use Safari so when I get my new pc I shall take your advice and drop IE.

(Mind you the heating has broken, which involves (a) a large plumbing bill and (b) a huge gas bill as it's broken by going into serious and uncontrollable overdrive. That's the new pc deferred for another month ..)