Want s good book on WW2 AFVs for a 14 year old.

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Watcher, Nov 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My 14 year old son is developing an interest in AFVs; particularly of the second war. Can anyone recommend a good book giving an overview of the types that I can get him for Christmas.

TIA

Watcher

2. "Jane's World War II Tanks and Fighting Vehicles: The Complete Guide", by Leland Ness, HarperCollins, 2002.

I have not seen anything better in a single volume.

Edit: Bugger. This now seems to be out of print, and people are demanding absurd prices for it -- Alibris UK doesn't have a copy, Abe UK have one for £50, and the ony re-seller on Amazon UK is asking £177, which is just silly. Arrrrgh.

All the best,

John.

3. If you go into Waterstones bookshops I have often seen the type of thing you might be interested in. If all waterstones are set out the same they will be in the Military History but they tend to be in the rotating stand thingy.

4. Depends on how techy he wants to be!

There was an imprint called Salamander which did quite good spotters guides, one called World War II Tanks and Fighting Vehicles by Christopher F Foss. It's referred to here.

Otherwise I've seen similar stuff by Dorling Kindersley with cutaway drawings. I'm pretty sure I've seen some in the children's section of local bookshops & the library.

Good luck! MasterPlume is at the stage when he loves to see Soldiers so I can't wait until he gets excited about Tanks...

5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

"Tanks and Armoured Fighting Vehicales of World War 2" by Jim Winchester, £9.99 a really handy little book

6. And to cement his interest...a visit to Bovvy Tank Museum!!