want a job at aldi anyone?

Issi

War Hero
Blimey! I used to go to Aldi's and hope that nobody saw me exit, however, i'm thinking that I should swap my job.

It is not a job for somebody who wants to hide in the office talking on their mobile all day.
Well, that'll put off a fair whack of graduates, then. How on earth did we ever reach the stage in this country when some kinds of work could be considered beneath a person? Isn't it better to do something than be unemployed?

They are in the top ten of Graduate recruiters and are always sniffing around the Uni handing out freebies and asking for your details regardless of what degree course your doing

I worked for Lidls and I must admit they do pay very well, but they do expect their money's worth. It is physically and mentally demanding, the managers are expected muck in with everybody else, cleaning the floor, on the checkouts. It is not a job for somebody who wants to hide in the office talking on their mobile all day.
I'd clean the fecking floor for 45k!
Would be good to sit on the check out with some spotty oik 16 year old who's getting paid naff all with a smug look on my face to say that 'look were both doing the same job but i'm getting paid 10 times more than you prick end!' :muhaha:

45,000 pounds is not a great salary these days, it's only 57,000 euros. The value of the pound and the cost of living in the UK means a lot of professionals with experience quite frankly wouldn't get out of bed for that, I know I wouldn't.

As a starting salary it's fecking competitive. I know people that will start on 16k after 3,4,5 years of uni who have 1sts in respected degrees. I get out of bed at 6am and work a 12 hour day, 5 days a week (with an extra 6 hours at the weekend) for my 20k and a 6 week summer holiday!

crabby said:
As a starting salary it's fecking competitive. I know people that will start on 16k after 3,4,5 years of uni who have 1sts in respected degrees. I get out of bed at 6am and work a 12 hour day, 5 days a week (with an extra 6 hours at the weekend) for my 20k and a 6 week summer holiday!
As a starting salary I agree its not too bad at all.

I've no idea how you survive on 20k a year, my rent is almost as much as your gross salary. How do you manage and more importantly why do you do it, is teaching really that fullfilling? 8O

I live in a two bedroom flat with my soon to be wife. That makes our rent £650 a month. Being in a city, but not London our council tax is about £1100 a year. I was commuting 65 miles a day in my car at about 36mpg - so costing well over £200 a month in fuel, then tyre costs, servicing costs etc.

In short, only just scraping by. More in debt this year than last, mostly because of an engagement ring, wedding ring and other wedding stuff. Next year I'll be on 22k and not commuting so far, so I'm hoping to pay off some debt.

Oh, and I do find it rewarding. I genuinely enjoy it at times. Sometimes other teachers are the biggest c0cks in the world and the kids aren't much better, but most jobs have their losers.

Still occasionally bitter I completely and permenantly biffed myself - would be almost debt free had I been able to do orifice training + forces career (rather than my tenous (OTC) link to the forces)

crabby said:
More in debt this year than last, mostly because of an engagement ring, wedding ring and other wedding stuff. Next year I'll be on 22k and not commuting so far, so I'm hoping to pay off some debt.

Mate! I'm using the (true) "I can't afford a nice ring and wedding" excuse to delay getting married! Which she has to grudgingly accept....as it's true. - It's certainly not worth (more) debt! 8O

bensonby said:
crabby said:
More in debt this year than last, mostly because of an engagement ring, wedding ring and other wedding stuff. Next year I'll be on 22k and not commuting so far, so I'm hoping to pay off some debt.

Mate! I'm using the (true) "I can't afford a nice ring and wedding" excuse to delay getting married! Which she has to grudgingly accept....as it's true. - It's certainly not worth (more) debt! 8O
I just used a credit card. Not letting this one get away from me, she rocks. And if I don't marry her her mother will kill me. My future wife is still a virgin, honest.

crabby said:
My future wife is still a virgin, honest.
WTF!?!??? You've not done her yet? :? :? :?

supermark500 said:
crabby said:
My future wife is still a virgin, honest.
WTF!?!??? You've not done her yet? :? :? :?
Of course not. We only "house-share", we do not "live together". We certainly have never seen each other naked, engaged in horizontal jogging, dogging, upside down dogging or anything remotely sexual.

Her mother could be anywhere. She's probably hacked my arrse account already and I need to be very, very careful :D

Understood ;)

I did toy with the idea of applying for this - but watching some of the videos of graduates on the Aldi website put me off... Most people interviewed said they enjoyed their jobs, but when it came to be talking about their hobbies, they all spoke about them in the past tense because they no-longer had time for them!

crabby said:
I live in a two bedroom flat with my soon to be wife. That makes our rent £650 a month. Being in a city, but not London our council tax is about £1100 a year. I was commuting 65 miles a day in my car at about 36mpg - so costing well over £200 a month in fuel, then tyre costs, servicing costs etc.

In short, only just scraping by. More in debt this year than last, mostly because of an engagement ring, wedding ring and other wedding stuff. Next year I'll be on 22k and not commuting so far, so I'm hoping to pay off some debt.

Oh, and I do find it rewarding. I genuinely enjoy it at times. Sometimes other teachers are the biggest c0cks in the world and the kids aren't much better, but most jobs have their losers.

Still occasionally bitter I completely and permenantly biffed myself - would be almost debt free had I been able to do orifice training + forces career (rather than my tenous (OTC) link to the forces)
Hat off to you mate, I couldn't do it. At least things will be improving soon. :wink:

Well Crabby, I'm out of the classroom in a year, so make sure you leave one vacancy at Aldi for me.

About 15 years ago I helped my local university by having undergraduates that were interested in teaching spend an afternoon a week with my classes as a sort of teaching assistant. One of them had an application in to Aldi as well. The starting salary with Aldi was three times the starting salary of a teacher, plus the bonus of being issued with a company car on Day One. OK, so it was a Rover. So what, it was free.

What was the downside? As described, being a dogsbody, learning the business from the bottom up. He knew he would be moved around the country never spending more than a month anywhere. He would also be living in hotels for at least a year. But, he would be starting at a salary level exceeded only by the headteacher in our school. As a result, a young man who would have been an outstanding teacher never entered the profession.

Stick with it Crabby, it does get easier as you move up the pay scale and get promoted. Best of luck with your career.

I'm in the same boat will be lucky to be earning 25-30k when I first qulify but I'd rather earn half the amount doing somthing I enjoy and seeing really resulits from the people I help. I think people get blinded by the money and to hell with job satisfacttion. I think this is also the reason most teacher training course and NHS courses are now filled with mature students retraining as they realise there is more to life than money

wompingwillow said:
I'm in the same boat will be lucky to be earning 25-30k when I first qulify but I'd rather earn half the amount doing somthing I enjoy and seeing really resulits from the people I help. I think people get blinded by the money and to hell with job satisfacttion. I think this is also the reason most teacher training course and NHS courses are now filled with mature students retraining as they realise there is more to life than money
I couldn't agree more that there is more to life than money. I am lucky enough to work in an industry which still pays well, I do 9-5 Monday to Friday for a fantastic company with great people around me and fortunately get a decent wedge too. But I would work here for half the money as well its that good.

Not sure I could be a decent teacher though, i hate kids too much :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rodney2q The NAAFI Bar 38
Simon - Quest Magazine Jobs Offered 0
SkippedOnce The Intelligence Cell 57