Wanna join up.

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by HardMan_wannabe, Mar 15, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. This is pretty much the same post i put in he Infanty section. whats the life like, are there a good bunch of lads in the RA? best jobs to go for (no officer carrers)? my cousin is in 32nd reg and he hates it.

2. Try looking on the RA website,I know 7 PARA RHA and 29 CDO REGT are the two best regiments the RA has to offer. 5 REGT RA have a bty that tries but lets face, who wants to stay behind. http://www.army.mod.uk/royalartillery/

3. I've looked at all the RA jobs but can't decide between AS90 or 105mm. Which offers the most varied / interesting career. I dont wanna spend every day spanner-monkeyin, otherwise i'd join REME!

4. AS90 is a spanner monkey track bashing job, BALKANS, BALKANS, BALKANS get the pic. 105mm is a more deployable piece of kit, no tarcks therefor no bashing. Will get 29 CDO email later but try 7 PARA RHA on info@7pararha.mod.uk see if they can shed light GOOD LUCK.

5. Hard man wannabe:
    Considering that 40 Regt did Telic 2, 26 are on Telic 3 and 1 RHA are about to go on Telic 4, whilst 3 RHA are in Cyprus - all in the infantry role, you could say that you get to do far more variety in an AS90 unit. If you want to get beasted and massage your ego by badging up your arms- go 7 RHA or 29. You'll like it. You are, after all, a wannabe!

6. You forgot to mention that 7 and 29 actually fought in Iraq, not POLICED in it.

7. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

26 Regt and 3RHA also faught on TELIC 1 too, don't forget.
    7th and 29 weren't the only Gunner units in the war, thankyerhairycruch!!

8. I think what papa is getting at is the plain and simple fact that 7 and 29 were so wrapped up in themselves, they didn't even know who else was there- or they are so slow on the uptake they still haven't realised...

At the end of the day, you want to join, you decide.

9. RA units out there!!!

3 RHA (Inc 26 Regt RA, 4 Regt RA and others)

7 Para
    32 Regt

Therefore loads of RA pax in Gulf the Rerun

Everyone knew what was going on by the way cynical nig :x

10. Sorry, big, bad 'goatbag'!

Didn't realise you held a candle for 7 or 29- explains your contribution on certain other pages.

I notice your image resembles you somewhat, in that he is clearly thinning on top, much like yourself!

11. I know they're hairy benders and they only did POW duties but 12 Regt were there aswell

12. For girls is the RA any good, or as one regular officer i spoke to recently put it, is it a case of the ultimate job in the gunners is a foo, and despite girls being allowed to do it, they will never able to the job as well, and will therefore be 2nd class foos, so therefore it is better to join something you can be the best at?

13. Well, it's the closest you'll get to the front line as a woman, if that's what floats your boat.

14. I, being biased firmly believe the RA to be an excellant reg, not the best reg but AN excellant one. For a Bird though alot of teh female officers join to ski or get pumped rotten, even if you dont do that there will still be the stigma, if your willing to put up with that in the Mess then by all means join the Regiment

15. Interesting how many of the replies seem to emanate from a. OTC types b. STABs. Neither have much relevance if you are joining as a soldier in the regular army.

And how, pray, would you know? Get told this on Brief Encounter as you propped up the bar with the drippiest subbie on YOs as the rest of his muckers were busy getting their end away with the WOCdts?

And what's this stigma? In every regiment I've served in there has been no stigma unless it was thoroughly well deserved. And why the f**k can't a female FOO in an OPV be just as good as her male counterpart. Don't start spouting that 'dismounted/Coy 2 ic' crap at me, or I'll come and lamp your cheeky young hide.

At least they join, jash.