• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Wankel Engine Pams

Gents..

An aquaintence of mine has aquired one of those gensets that used to power Cymbaline - the one with the Wankel engine.. We spent last night extracting it from it's green box, and apart from some external corrosion, the beast seems in OK condition.

The current plot is to use it as the basis of a working model Deltic Locomotive engine.. OK it's not a Deltic, but it's the right shape and should sound sufficiently different..

The only problem is trying to make sense of the mass of wires etc..

Anyone any pointers to a schematic and/or manuals?

The Mazda RX8 has a Wankel engine, would a Haynes manual give you any pointers? Or will they be completely different beasts? I honestly have no clue when it comes to engines!

We havn't found a makers name yet on the engine.. don't think it's a Mazda - it's only the size of a wastepaper basket..!

Yea, maybe "mass of wires" is a bit of an overstatement, however the thing has an electronic EMS, and it would be useful to find out what it is, before we go poking about too much..

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
The current plot is to use it as the basis of a working model Deltic Locomotive engine..
Have you ever considered marriage to an older man? An occasional update would be fab if you can be arsed. On the Deltic. Not the proposal.

Sounds like the Wankel Owners lot will be the ticket but if you are stuck on the leccy bit, this lot of anoraks are dead helpful. I restore pre-1930's engines and have had a guy drive 50 miles to help out in exchange for a beer and some sandwiches. They like a challenge that runs above "Why wont my Lister D1 start?"

UK Stationary Engine Forum - Powered by Enthusiasts

Heres a couple more.

Stationary Engine Forum

STATIONARY ENGINE FORUM - Home

Another good resource is to write to Stationary Engine mag with a pic and a question. Some of the proper old anoraks dont do the internet but they all read the mag.

KELSEY Magazines

Finally, if you are near Manchester or in the SE there are engine museums staffed by expert enthusiasts who are always helpful.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
The NSU RO80 from the seventies had the Wankel engine -- could it be the same unit that was used in this application?
Until Mazda came along that was the most visible application for the Wankel in the UK. It's a small (and fairly weird looking) motor. This is a cut-away.

NSU_Ro_80_engine_TCE.jpg

There is a club for Ro80 anoraks here Ro80 Club GB

One of the many cars I always wanted to own but never did

There is a club for Ro80 anoraks here Ro80 Club GB

One of the many cars I always wanted to own but never did
When I was a kid, a friend of the family was a Ro80 nut as well as being a caravanner (he sold them for a living, had a dealership near Sennelager). ISTR he blew out an engine while touring round France; had the new engine shipped and fitted; ignored the running-in guidance; and blew out the replacement engine on the way home...

wankel engines are very efficient, but the tips was the problem, something i believe they mastered with the Mazda. Would love to have a good running wankel engine in an open-engine-bay hot rod

wankel engines are very efficient, but the tips was the problem, something i believe they mastered with the Mazda. Would love to have a good running wankel engine in an open-engine-bay hot rod
RX rotor tips tend not to last much beyond 100k miles (if the info from a mate with 25 years of spannering experience is right). I'd rather have Chevy or Mopar under the bonnet...but the principal of wankel engines is fantastic.

"If ignorance is bliss, why are so many people pissed off?"
Sent from my HTC Desire S...the only desire I've ever got

RX rotor tips tend not to last much beyond 100k miles (if the info from a mate with 25 years of spannering experience is right). I'd rather have Chevy or Mopar under the bonnet...but the principal of wankel engines is fantastic.
true, but the tosser in me want to say "belly button motor" when i see chevy or mopar used in that context....

then again, I do love my Y block :lick:

back to wankels, 100k, thats not too bad, and the capacity is larger, isn't it? doesn't a 2 litre wankel actually equal a 5 litre conventional engine?

Latest Threads