Walty post nominals?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rockstar, Jul 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Who exactly can use post nominals, aside from those who belong to recognised institutes, such as ECUK, etc and gallantry awards?

I've seen things like:
    Mne John Smith RM
    Capt Bob Jones REME
    Sgt Dave Evans PARA

Obviously the names are made up, but does belonging to particular units entitle one to use post nominals such as those above?

2. Have a gander through this huge Arrse thread. http://www.arrse.co.uk/acf/119459-post-nominal-letters-royal-air-force-vr-t.html
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I have academic qualifications that allow me to use post-nominals, but I choose not to. (After all a 21 year old Bachelors Degree and a 15 year old Post Grad Diploma aren't necessarily worth shouting about).

IIRC regimental postnominals (eg RA, RE, REME etc) are normally used by Officers in official correspondence (eg Maj Rupert Cunttington-Smythe AAC). However, it is not unusual to see them used by retired SNCO's and Officers with the distinction (Ret'd) after the postnominal.
  4. I've looked through the other thread and haven't come up with much.
    Basically, I work with a para who puts 'para' after his name on bloody everything! He says he is entitled to. I'm not really bothered, but just out of interest wanted to know if this is the case, as it appears to be a growing trend. I know there are many people, who if they used all there PNs would have more letters after their name than are actually in it!

5. Check JSP 101, it's on Armynet.
    Page 2-15 is a good start...

6. Cheers Nige. Looking it up now.... How are things down under?
  7. Life's great down here mate
    Nige, IEng, MSOE, MIPlantE, VD and Bar :)
  8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

VD and Bar? There's none of them alive now, but there were quite a few....

Until 1908, the Award for being a TA Occifer for many years was the Volunteer Decoration - or VD. There's plenty of paintings in Guild and Livery Halls, for example, of "Cl The Rt Hon Sir Buffton-Tuffton KCMG VD.

For some unknown reason, it was replaced by the TD - as in Territorial Decoration - in 1908. Can't imagine why!

OldSnowy TD (But it's not something I tell anyone about normally :) )
  9. My head of English whilst at School was an elderly lady, very prim & proper. She used to use the post nom "C Lit" as she had some recognised award and was a Companion of Literature. We used to refer to her as Clitoritis Allsorts. It was a few years ago but it was something like Miss Dunlop, BA, B Ed C Lit. It made us giggle.

10. Sorry to be picky, but shouldn't that read VD and Scar?