walts

You can do a maximum of 3 per year, with only one new language per year. So i started with A level french and german, added italian, This year i dropped german for a while to take up Russian. I paid to do an external qualification in Arabic, and on my year abroad next yr I'll be studying chinese at university...in france. see, it IS possible! quite hard work tho. I often think i might just drop out and do media studies instead :)

Am I alone in wondering how a bird plucked from an internet site to star in an ARRSE piss-take has suddenly discovered her accidental 'fame' and started posting?

3 languages a year?
I'm telling you. it's the new Barbgenius.

Three of those languages qualify as "hard" I'd say, no way can you do more than dip your toes in that time.

Hi, Bagster, I think I was in the sandpit with you, I was the RNR guy working in the same field as your good self.

Im with Perevod here. Someone is taking the piss. Spiky haired multi-liguists. Come on.

Where did you get the picture by the way? Seriously I would, is she really on face party?

Cant think where anyone would find blonde dippy officers around here, at this time of night.....

doc

Just to point out, i was not just plucked off the internet for the sake of your amusement. i actually signed up to this site because someone recommended it as a good place to get advice and help if i was thinking of joining up. and believe me, i've found out a lot about the sort of people serving in the army today.

Edit all for aged, intemperate impatience with cretinous, arrogant, tattood and pierced youth, which thinks it owns the world because it should, like. It does (or will, of course) but sadly. Very sadly. I'm thinking of emigrating to India.

mazzle said:
You can do a maximum of 3 per year, with only one new language per year. So i started with A level french and german, added italian, This year i dropped german for a while to take up Russian. I paid to do an external qualification in Arabic, and on my year abroad next yr I'll be studying chinese at university...in france. see, it IS possible! quite hard work tho. I often think i might just drop out and do media studies instead :)
Takeaway on the Sorbonne?

mazzle said:
Just to point out, i was not just plucked off the internet for the sake of your amusement. i actually signed up to this site because someone recommended it as a good place to get advice and help if i was thinking of joining up. and believe me, i've found out a lot about the sort of people serving in the army today.
somebody's tired :)

Aloysius said:
Three of those languages qualify as "hard" I'd say, no way can you do more than dip your toes in that time.

Hi, Bagster, I think I was in the sandpit with you, I was the RNR guy working in the same field as your good self.
Hello there Aloysius, that's right, I think I know who you are. :)

I agree with your comments entirely, there is no way anyone could acquire more than a smattering of those languages in the time. I smell one of two things here, Barbgenius or a huge pile of bullshoite!

mazzle said:
Yep - a thick skin and a well developed sense of humour is a necessary qualification for the Corps. Whoever recommended the site forgot to mention that the discussion can be a little robust and irreverant. :lol: If you want more advice about the Corps you need to set up a visit (start with your Army Careers and Information Office) and you will get to speak to serving officers and soldiers. Not that their views will be any less robust face to face :D

And if this is another Barbegenius (because the INT CORPS threads have been soooooo boring recently) I shall flounce off in a huff or go and kick a puppy or something :lol:

Next_to_the_Tank said:
And if this is another Barbegenius (because the INT CORPS threads have been soooooo boring recently) I shall flounce off in a huff or go and kick a puppy or something :lol:
awww admit it, you loved it really ;)

mazzle said:
:roll: Yes you did. and in good faith. By a happy coincidence that dovetailed with your Faceparty post being chosen from a cast of milions to be laughed at on this very forum.. Cynical, moi/ich/ya, (insert recently assimilated language here)

Perevodchik said:
mazzle said:
:roll: Yes you did. and in good faith. By a happy coincidence that dovetailed with your Faceparty post being chosen from a cast of milions to be laughed at on this very forum.. Cynical, moi/ich/ya, (insert recently assimilated language here)
nooooooooo, it didn't.

see, that's why you're just a linguist and not good enough to be an OPMI. we all noted that the original post is 14 months old mucker ;) our maz clearly googled her name and found an ancient thread, as she was the first addition to it since Nov 05...

and i thought you lot were trained analysts as well as language weirdos lol

Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:23 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
er...in current climate...good luck!

www.faceparty.com/mazzybelle
Take the shame, Lauren :)

ask g2_loony bin, perevod. he messaged me on faceparty, recommending i join here :) And I fully admit that my profile was shocking...Were i not me, i'd laugh at me.

Re:Barbegenius... you're absolutely right, it's quite hard to fully acquire those languages at once. especially because they're taught at different rates. example -we did italian from complete beginner to a level standard in 6 months. Yet after 10 weeks of arabic, we're still on 'where is the dog? the dog is in the cupboard under the stairs.' So not MUCH use for armed forces at this point. Actually, replace 'dog' with 'bomb', and just ensure that it is always kept in the cupboard under the stairs, and i'll be all set. But i figure, master the grammar, then its all just a case of vocab?

mazzle said:
ask g2_loony bin, perevod. he messaged me on faceparty, recommending i join here :) And I fully admit that my profile was shocking...Were i not me, i'd laugh at me.

Re:Barbegenius... you're absolutely right, it's quite hard to fully acquire those languages at once. especially because they're taught at different rates. example -we did italian from complete beginner to a level standard in 6 months. Yet after 10 weeks of arabic, we're still on 'where is the dog? the dog is in the cupboard under the stairs.' So not MUCH use for armed forces at this point. Actually, replace 'dog' with 'bomb', and just ensure that it is always kept in the cupboard under the stairs, and i'll be all set. But i figure, master the grammar, then its all just a case of vocab?
Yeah...

Sorry about that... 8O

mazzle said:

That is quite right, master the grammar with Arabic and because of it's structure, vocab aquisition becomes a piece of P1ss.
I do refer you to an earlier post though, where you claimed to hope to speak 6 languages fluently......your definition of fluent may well be very different from mine. That or you've got a long way to go with some of them.

olddearhunter said:
er...in current climate...good luck!

http://www.faceparty.com/mazzybelle

" i now have 21 piercings and short spiky hair.i play a lotta rugby also - am on england U19's but need another knee operation so i'm out4the season. i want to join the army as an officer, doing translating and interpreting through the intelligence corps. i will chat to most anyone (tho i do not appreciate being sent pictures of you naked as soon as we start talking! PLS WAIT TO BE ASKED!!! lol)

Dyke?.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
redshift The NAAFI Bar 17
MrMemory The NAAFI Bar 61
Valkyrie 101 Waltenkommando 14