Walts

Discussion in 'Australia' started by TaffJ, Aug 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering, is there much in the way of Walts over here in Oz? I can't say that I have seen any obvious Walts ( i.e. Boer War and Waterloo medals worn on the left) on any of the ANZAC or Remembrance days I've been to. It seems that in the UK there may be more Walts than the amount of people who have walked the earth.

2. the term is used, however (from what I hear) it is not done here, i think they have the stolen valour law similar to the US. dont quote me though.

3. Yup. The odd one or two. But, unlike the UK, you do have the law on your side in tracking the barstewards down. See the ANZMI site: http://www.anzmi.net/cases.html

4. A few weeks ago the Syd. Morn. Herald printed an article about walkers dying on the Kokoda Track, which featured a photo of Charlie Lynn, 'former major with the Australian Army' wearing a slouch hat with the puggaree upside down!

'Walt', I thought, and sprayed off emails to SMH and ANZMI, (one of which was printed) Turns out he really was a major :oops: . Doesn't explain the puggaree, though. :roll:

The perils of Walt-busting!

5. D'oh! But he was a Rupert so has an excuse :D When I was in the Sigs our Tp OC a 2nd Lt, left his Number 2 dress hanging in Line troops office. On the epualettes (spelling) there are two Signal badges facing each other. We turned them so they were facing outwards, he wore the uniform like that for about 6 weeks until the Adj finally noticed it and he was day on day off Duty Officer for some time afterwards.

6. That is a great website!

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Devious Digger strikes again! BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! Classic! :D

8. Most of the Veterans support organisations in australia , and Cadet force instructors are populated with walts and wannabee,s, Anzmi does a brilliant job in outing walts, but set foot in any RSL saturday lunchtime there are always one or two swinging the lamp and spreading the BS around, Good job the VA comes down hard on walts who rort the system,

9. Unbelievable

I find it hard to believe that people stoop so low. I makes my storming of Goose Green, The Iranian Embassy seige and rescueing that bearded religious bloke from Lebanon seem worthless!!!!

Off to live in the Tora Bora caves for 6 months!!!!!!

They deserve everything they get.

10. On the epaulettes or on the collar? No expert on Aus uniform but I'm struggling to see how Jimmy could be facing outwards (as opposed to forward or back) if he was on the shoulder.

IIRC, wasn't that one of the pick-up points from "the thread that must not be named"? That a sig had her collar dogs facing outwards?

11. I think they go on the 'lapels', if I'm not mistaken, in which case they could be swapped around to face outwards. I know the thread to which you refer, but didn't know about that bit! Sounds like a deliberate pisstake, nobody could be so lax...could they?

12. I stand corrected, I meant to say lapels and this happened when I was in the British Army. My excuse is that I am an ex Liney and most of my brain cells are wasted by beer and having heavy things dropped on my head.
    What is this "thread that cannot be mentioned" of which you speak, or can't it be mentioned?

13. Some weeks ago there was a 'Gay Pride' march in the UK, some of the marchers were UK military, wearing their uniforms rather scruffily. Someone mentioned this in ARRSE and the discussion turned into an almighty brawl, during which MDN, one of the site's most popular (and appalling) members put up an image of the 'Arbeit Macht Frei' gates at Auschwitz and suggested- tongue in cheek- that all LGBT people should be 're-educated'

Some padre Major from some LGBT pressure group ('Stonewall'?) objected to ARRSE's owners- not the Moderators, as he should have done- result, threats of legal action, police involvement, MDN zapped, and Political Correctness is upon us, much to the displeasure of many of the members (including at least some of the LGBT ones, I might add) There's a sticky in at least one of the fora, not sure which one.

So there ya have it! :?

Seriously mate, be careful what you post, the Mods have zapped at least one other ARRSE'r for a 'disagreement'; they'll delete posts/topics/people with no ?'s asked.

It's called 'Equality and Diversity' apparently. Not 'censorship' or 'fascism' or 'oppression', nooooo. :roll:

14. Some weeks ago there was a 'Gay Pride' march in the UK, some of the marchers were UK military, wearing their uniforms rather scruffily. Someone mentioned this in ARRSE and the discussion turned into an almighty brawl, during which MDN, one of the site's most popular (and appalling) members put up an image of the 'Arbeit Macht Frei' gates at Auschwitz and suggested- tongue in cheek- that all LGBT people should be 're-educated'

Some padre Major from some LGBT pressure group ('Stonewall'?) objected to ARRSE's owners- not the Moderators, as he should have done- result, MDN is apparently no longer with us, and Political Correctness is upon us, much to the displeasure of many of the members (including the LGBT ones, I might add) There's a sticky in one of the fora, not sure which one.

So there ya have it![/quote]

MMMmmm...seems like PC madness to me, mind you, you have to be careful what you say these days and where you say it even more.