Walts on Screen and Actors Who Served

John Lawrie & Arnold Ridley Frasier and Godfrey of Dads both wounded in WW1
Clive Dunn POW WW2

Peter Butterworth of carry on films (camping, Kyber etc) helped dig the tunnel during the wooden horse escape after being shot down
He was later rejected for a part in the film as he didn't look dashing enough

Donald Plesance was shot down to as was Denholm Elliot

Dirk Bogarde was at Arnhem and wore his own medals in the film Bridge to far
and Windsor Castle at the weekend & country breaks at Sandringham.

John Lawrie & Arnold Ridley Frasier and Godfrey of Dads both wounded in WW1
Clive Dunn POW WW2

Peter Butterworth of carry on films (camping, Kyber etc) helped dig the tunnel during the wooden horse escape after being shot down
He was later rejected for a part in the film as he didn't look dashing enough

Donald Plesance was shot down to as was Denholm Elliot

Dirk Bogarde was at Arnhem and wore his own medals in the film Bridge to far

You may have seen this, really interesting (I know I put it together but it really is!):

Yup, a modest decent man by all accounts. During his time with the Eighth he went higher than Lt Col/Ops Officer of the 453rd, making Bird Colonel as Chief of Staff of the 2nd Air Division.

When he enlisted the Army tried to shunt him into safe jobs, but he agitated to get himself posted as a pilot. Eighth Air Force aircrew was the most lethal berth in the US Armed Forces, with more fatal casualties than the entire Marine Corps.
Can recommend the book Jimmy Stewert - Bomber Pilot, which deals solely with his military service. A much admired, highly skilled and brave man.

I don't seem to see mention the greatest British actor of all time (in my humble opinion) Sir Alec Guinness. Served in the RNVR during WWII, piloted a landing craft in Operation Husky. He then also delivered supplies to partisans in Yugoslavia.

I listened to a BBC podcast a couple of years ago of him reading his memoirs, a great listen and well worth downloading if you can find it, in it he recounts sinking his vessel on rocks on one particular mission to Yugoslavia.

Some of the team blokes on the telly series SEAL Team have; been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and are still doing that.

Justin Melnick. A police officer when he is not filming, the dawg, Dita, is his real day to day working police dog. He is a tactical firearms instructor and in a previous life he failed US SF selection

Scott Foxx. Couple of tours in Iraq, sniper. He plays the character Full Metal.

Tyler Grey. The one on your left; former Ranger, former Delta, the scar on his right arm is where he was nearly killed by an IED when doing an entry.

Yup, a modest decent man by all accounts. During his time with the Eighth he went higher than Lt Col/Ops Officer of the 453rd, making Bird Colonel as Chief of Staff of the 2nd Air Division.

When he enlisted the Army tried to shunt him into safe jobs, but he agitated to get himself posted as a pilot. Eighth Air Force aircrew was the most lethal berth in the US Armed Forces, with more fatal casualties than the entire Marine Corps.
The actor Walter Matthau served as a staff sergeant gunner in the same group as Stewart. years ago in an interview he said he was fond of Stewarts briefings before missions just hearing the voice

The actor Walter Matthau served as a staff sergeant gunner in the same group as Stewart. years ago in an interview he said he was fond of Stewarts briefings before missions just hearing the voice
That account also surfaces in a biography which I read a few years back where Walter Matthau is described as going over to listen to James Stewart's briefings and debriefings in order to listen to Stewart speaking.
But some doubt has been cast on that because it's said that security meant that those briefings would be confined to those crews participation in the relevant sorties.
However that's conjecture, maybe it's possible that security wasn't that strict.

But despite there being many, many references on the internet to Matthau being an air-gunner/radioman - perhaps stemming from the same source (Matthau?) I think it's significant that of two accounts on the web from actual veterans of Old Buckenham, both describe Walter Matthau as ground crew.
<<
A member of the 453rd Bomb Group, Aukerman fought the war over Europe in good company. Among them: Oscar winning actor Jimmy Stewart piloted B-24s and future actor Walter Matthau served with a ground crew in the 453th at the Old Buckingham RAF Base near Attleborough, England.
>>
The Nose-Gunner's Story

and

<<
They have also visited their old bases - with Burton Madison, 91, and Oliver 'Mo' Morris, 92, going back to Old Buckenham Airfield where they served with two Hollywood stars - operations officer James Stewart and parachute rigger Walter Matthau.
'Even though I was based at Old Buckenham, I have never been to Norwich before,' said Mr Madison, of Kansas City.
'We got on our bikes and went to the pubs in Attleborough and Old Buck, but we never got as far as Norwich. We used to get up at 3am and go to the mess hall and they fed us the best food available, because it might be our last trip. Then Jimmy Stewart would tell us what our mission was, we'd go and get our parachutes from Walter Matthau and get in our planes.'
>>
Veteran's Return to Old Buckenham

Of course, Walter Matthau genuinely served and for that he deserves respect but was he really air-crew on operations over Europe? - or a walter?

Last edited:
Dudley Sutton, Tink from the 90's TV series Lovejoy was in the RAF for 4 years as a mechanic..

View attachment 553902
I remember that series. It ran on A & E Channel for awhile in the mid 1990s. I remember Dudley Sutton in that series - he played the loveable drunk who was ever on the look out for antiques for his chum, Lovejoy. Interesting that he served with the RAF as a mechanic for 4 years before he went to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art for classical training.

I remember Ian Mc Shane too. He has done quite well in the movies and television, but apparently never served in the military. His latest project seems to be American Gods in which he plays the con man Mr. Wednesday who is really the Old Norse God, Odin. I haven't seen it, however.

I remember that series. It ran on A & E Channel for awhile in the mid 1990s. I remember Dudley Sutton in that series - he played the loveable drunk who was ever on the look out for antiques for his chum, Lovejoy. Interesting that he served with the RAF as a mechanic for 4 years before he went to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art for classical training.

I remember Ian Mc Shane too. He has done quite well in the movies and television, but apparently never served in the military. His latest project seems to be American Gods in which he plays the con man Mr. Wednesday who is really the Old Norse God, Odin. I haven't seen it, however.

McShane also appeared in the Battle of Britain film, playing a Sgt Pilot along with a laundry list of stars including Sir Michael Caine. IIRC, his wife and children are killed in the Blitz.

So did Errol Flynn; after becoming a naturalised American citizen, Flynn tried to enlist in 1942, but failed the medical exam. Warner Brothers refused to allow him to comment on his various health issues, including recurrent Malaria, because they didn't want his reputation as a leading man tarnished in any way. Flynn was unfairly accused of being a draft dodger by the press.

Flynn made an attempt to join the OSS, pointing out that he spoke fluent German, and that no one would believe a famous Hollywood actor could be working as a spy, but his application was rejected.

Flynn's only son became a freelance photojournalist and went missing while reporting on the Vietnam War for Time Magazine. It's now believed he and his partner crossed into Cambodia and were murdered by the Khmer Rouge in 1970.
Strange that Duck Wayne got a deferment in 41 but, in 43 he's available ?

Latest Threads