Walts on Screen and Actors Who Served

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Tremaine, Apr 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The thread John Wayne Could He Act throws up some actors who really did serve, some of them are remarkable.

Henry Fonda - US Navy. Bronze Star for Valour.
    Glenn Ford - US Navy. In addition to his WWII service, he served in the reserves during the Korean War and the Viet Nam War. He retired as a Captain in the US Naval Reserve.
    Clark Gable - Captain, US Army Air Corps. Gable returned to the U.S. in Oct. 1943 and was relieved from active duty as a major on Jun. 12, 1944 at his own request, since he was over age for combat.
    Lee Marvin USMC
    "James Mason was a conscientious objector" allegedly. "Noel Coward refused to cast James Mason in his wartime film 'In Which We Serve' because of this". Film made in part at Devonport, Plymouth. Coward's reasoning was that he felt it was not appropriate for a man who had refused to wear a military uniform in real life to wear one in a film.

2. What about Tom Hanks. He served. I saw him in Saving Private Ryan, so he must have.

• Like Like x 1
  3. There are plenty of British actors who fought in WWII and went on to become actors. John Mills for starters.

4. Christopher Lee ( Dracula) Intelligence Officer with the Long Range Desert Group later behind the lines with the Specail Operations Executive

5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Jimmy Stewart - a B-17 pilot and squadron commander in ww2 I believe.

6. Richard Burton RN
    Jack Hawkins - Volunteered to serve in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers
    Benny Hill - British Army :D

7. All of the Goons

8. Noel Coward served in Artist's Rifles in 1918 but was medically discharged. Apparently.

9. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Michael Caine served in Korea IIRC.

10. My Grandfather did three years up in Russia......Oh hold on I forgot, He wasn't an actor! told me it was ball-freezing all the same.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Richard Todd; played the role of Major John Howard in The Longest Day whilst an uncredited actor played the parachute battalion intelligence officer who was one of the first officers to reach Pegasus Bridge and Major Howard's unit........a young man called Richard Todd.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Ross Kemp - Served with Red Troop

Robson Green - 1st Bn Kings Fusiliers

Lewis Collings - Everything and anything. (Real Nails)

13. Patrick MacNee - British Royal Navy. Awarded the Atlantic Star for his service during World War II.
    Michael Caine - Royal Fusiliers
    Sean Connery - Royal Navy
    Richard Todd (almost James Bond in Dr No)

Maninblack re Richard Todd: :wink:
    Wikipedia "During the Second World War, Todd served as an officer in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and as a Paratrooper in the British 6th Airborne Division. As a member of the 7th (LI) Parachute Battalion, he was one of the first British officers to land in Normandy on D-Day and met up with Major John Howard on Pegasus Bridge. Todd would later play Howard in the film The Longest Day (1962), with another actor portraying Richard Todd."

14. Gene Hackman was a US Marine, IIRC, but did not see active service.

David Niven served during WWII, but I can't remember which unit.

Charles Bronson was a USAF Tail Gunner during WWII.

Robert Mitchum served in the US Army.

15. Harvey Keitel served with the US Marines in the Lebanon.