walts in history

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by evil belly, Jun 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. since i came across this site one topic has facinated me, the walt
    in ireland we dont have a tradition of walting as our military spend most of their
    time working doors or driving cabs or other moon lighting operations
    and usually dont deck themselves in the laurels of victory
    but from the bit of research i have done the earliest walt i have found would be
    the noted figure of doctor johnson who i believe wrote
    "every man thinks of himself meanly for not being a soldier"
    yet would affect an officers red coat when strolling around
    was there a spartan that would stagger around the tavernas ripped to the breast plate on
    vino proclaiming he was the three hundred and first spartan

2. Wilhelm Voigt (1849-1922) was a German impostor who masqueraded as a Prussian military officer in 1906 and became famous as the Captain of Köpenick.

On 1906 he had purchased parts of used captain's uniforms and, once in Köpenick, he went to the local army barracks, stopped four grenadiers and a sergeant on their way back to barracks and told them to come with him. Indoctrinated to obey officers without question, they followed.

He had the town secretary Rosenkranz and Mayor Georg Langerhans arrested for suspicions of crooked bookkeeping and confiscated 4000 marks and 70 pfennigs - with a receipt, of course. Then he commandeered two carriages and told the grenadiers to take the Mayor and the treasurer Wiltberg to Berlin to General Moltke for interrogation. He told the remaining guards to stand in their places for half an hour and then left for the train station. In the train he changed to civilian clothes and slipped out.

Voigt was arrested and sentenced to four years in prison for forgery, impersonating an officer and wrongful imprisonment. However, much of the public opinion was on his side. German Kaiser Wilhelm II pardoned him on 1908. There are some claims that even the Kaiser had been amused by the incident.

• Like Like x 2
  3. i think its funny
    its walting for profit, turning a percieved strenght into a weakness...straight out of sun tzus art of war
    but i think most walts in history didnt have fiscal gain on their minds
    getting their hands on some flange perhaps...

4. Monty - kept telling folk he won WW2 single handed.

5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the prince regent.

6. Heinrich Himmler.... SS Walt! Didn't have a scooby about Military matters and still paraded himself in SS regalia to look the bees knees!

7. I've read somewhere that Ernest Hemingway fabricated his war experience completely - anyone know more about this?

8. Does Idi Amin Dada count? Let's see:
    Awards himself the Victoria Cross (was told that he couldn't have it so he created his own- the Victorious Cross)
    Awards himself the MC
    Awards himself the DSO
    'King of Scotland'
    'Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular'

OK, yes, he did serve in the Kings African Rifles as a cook.

9. Who cares, so did George W......

10. Judas, walted as a friend to Jesus.

The greeks walted as a massive horse.

The Pharaohs walted as gods.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dont forget that bloke who walted as a mate to ceaser then stabbed him

12. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Hitler, jumped up full screw who thought he knew better than the OKW high command and earned the nickname GROFATZ thought he was a general and he'd have struggled to be I/c swamped mattress store.

13. If you can call that walting?!

14. Though to be fair to Hitler. How many Cpls and Sgts have had some officer think they can do their job better? Law of averages means we can send some Cpl up to the higher levels of command now and again for a crack at it, that French fella Napolion did well for a while.

15. Gaumata- According to Herodotus, a shady priest who bluffed his way to the throne of ancient Persia by pretending to be the legitimate heir.
    Perkin Warbeck and Lambert Simnel- Two medieval chancers who nearly toppled Henry VII by pretending to be the Princes in the Tower.