Walting instructors -ACF

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by bigeye, Jul 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are adult instructors in the ACF who are Para Reg badged allowed to wear the cherry (maroon) berry still?

I recall quite a few rows on this subject when I was in the ACF in North Camp. As a cadet I was entitled to wear a Para Reg cap badge with a maroon flash behind it. Our instructors, a 'fine' body of men wore Maroon berets and belts. Precious few (I think only one in fact) was entiled to wear wings. Bearing in mind the location of our coy. i.e a boots throw away from Browning Barracks this used to lead to the odd amusing (for us cadets - not for the instructors) run in with the regulars who were a tad uncivil to our Coy 2IC. I think there may have been a bit of 'larging it' down Queen's Parade - a potentially hazardous excercise.

Although we were not immune from badge- rage either - I remember getting a mullering from some JL Paras at Longmoor for daring to wear the cap badge I was issued with. At least I think that's why...

As ACF we trained with 10 Para (as was) and the regulars and on the whole they treated us pretty well. As 15-16 year olds we were expected to keep pace when tabbing and I think they appreciated the fact that were giving it a go. Our instructors were notably absent from these excercises.
  2. Cannot answer about the beret thing but re your last bit I find that very poor.
  3. maybe wrong but our company only let instuctors wear them if they are EX_PARAS. and cadets who have done a P Coy course can wear the stable belt. i think it varies from county to county.

hope this helps.
  4. I too was a Para cadet at the old 4 Para site at Grace road in the early nineties. Our DC was just an ex cadet and wore the the dark blue beret with Para capbadge just like the cadets. Our AI's however where all ex para regt in one way or another and they wore their maroon lids and wings.
  5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

And it is still that way today. Ex ABF = maroon beret, anyone else = blue beret and Para Regt cap badge.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Never was a cadet so my knowledge is limited. Would you care to expand on the above statement?
  7. a couple of cadets from suffolk i think did P Coy selection, There was an artical about it in the ACF mag.

i think i got it buried under load of junk somewhere, i see if can find it.
  8. Blimey, when I think of some of un-soldier like individuals that would pour themselves into full Para Reg rig: staple belt, cherry beret and all, before catching the bus from their mums.

It sounds like that this has been nipped in the bud and quite rightly.
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Sometimes it is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it.

Some ACF dets let their cadets wear a stable belt once they have passed their 2 or 3 star tests or reached a certain rank as a reward for their work.

There is/was a version (much scaled down) of P Coy (run by the recruiting team IIRC) to foster relations between the sponsored ACF units and Para Regt.

I am not saying that 2 senior cadets have not managed to pass P Coy, but I have certainly not seen any proof of this, and it is certainly not a common event and has no relationship to wearing stable belts.
  10. yep, roundabout mid-late 2006 a cadet from ipswich took the full selection test whilst at cadets and in last months/weeks was entitled to the maroon beret and stable belt.
  11. respect your view but thats not the case in our coy and county
  12. Yes this does seem a bit strange. The only way you could do Pcoy was if you joined the TA at 17 or officially signed up for regular selection.

There was a guy who joined 10 Para whilst he was still at my school and a couple of young shavers who nipped up to Duke of York Barracks in order to try for selection for the Artist Rifles. They got as far as the pre-selection selection (3 miles jog/sprint around the old cinder track, PT, interviews, film show etc.) which they passed, only to be told that they were too young.
  13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

If you are a cadet Lance Bombardier, how do you know so much about the activities of a Para Regt affiliated ACF unit?

BTW, it is not my view - It is what happens in all of the Para Regt ACF detachments I have inspected over the years.
  14. i know this as it was in an article in a cadet publication 'camouflage', and also i asked our CO why papa affiliated cadets dont wear the maroon beret.
  15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Stop bluffing