Walting Comedian??

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by POGscribbler, Mar 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Irrespective of Omid Djalli's comedy, does any one else find this niggles a teensy bit?

PogS
    www.pocketcomms.co.uk

Attached Files:

2. Nope. WW1 was nearly a century ago. Civvies don't give a flying fcuk about wars happening now never mind 100 years ago. He's your typical clueless civvy and his first language is Iranian so fcuk him, I'll still sleep at night.

3. Not really. It's not on the correct ribbon - or even any sort of proper ribbon and is clearly just being used as a stage prop.

4. And Africa star, Atlantic star, Defence medal and 39 star ribbons.......

5. In defence of this rather funny and bravish chap (many you know who hate him with a passion). His costume in this case is supplied by the BBC and he would have had very little say in it. If you send him a polite email or letter stating your objections it is highly likely that he will apologise and wear some duff Euro medals instead.

6. Oh, he's a comedian then. I had thought he was iraq's new president.

7. Don't think it bothers me too much. Djalili isn't really my cup of tea, but he does bring out the odd chuckle. Let's be honest, if more muslims had a sense of humour like him, the world would be a better place.
    I certainly don't think he has set out to upset anyone by wearing the medal. I suspect he doesn't even know what it is!

8. Get a life. the bloke is very funny and the medals are stage props. Why not have a go at Steven Fry & Co for Blackadder ?

On the other hand, if you want Walt comedy Djalli could probably use his nationality build a good line about being "On the balcony"

9. yaa, that Chelsea born, holland park educated, Iranian sympathiser. :roll:

10. Yep, this is a stupid topic.

11. I've just done a BITE check on the Outrageometer (you just rub it gently with a copy of a daily newspaper) and it's working fine. But not a flicker in this case.

12. Beat me too it. He's a fcuking comedian, and a reasonably funny one at that. A half decent actor too. He's not pretending to be a war hero. :roll:

13. Note the "niggles a teensy bit?" in my post?

Its just very mildly annoying in the similar way that errors in war movies are, nothing to throw stuff at the telly over, probably warrants just a "tut!" and a raised eyebrow.

Stage props are fine, Both my parents where prop/costume designers, So I understand the outrageously over the top Dictators costume is worn for extra comedy value, but surely somebody should have thought we will maybe upset a few people by using an old WWI medal in this manner. But on the other hand maybe the significance of these medals is misunderstood by young costume designers today.

Also Having relatives who have nothing to remind them of their grandfathers but their posthumous gongs springs to mind too

I'll get my Coat (sans medals)on the way out sheepishly

PogS

14. Ditto...

Likewise...

At least we're not bitching that 'The Bill' 'Stars' have the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal ribbon up on the few occassions they're in best bib and tucker, now that really is walting...

15. I am with you POG guess we will leave together but we wont be alone so what the hell. I can see both sides of the argument, but also think the BBC should be more carefull. My Grandfather joined in 1907 and went all through WW1 took shrapnel in the head face and back at Mons and ended up BQMS RFA. He died when I was 13 and was the biggest influence in me joining up so even a slight dissing anywhere in that area is likley to rattle my cage.. Most people have short memories and nowadays some have none at all. Hussarrrrrrr